• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    Can anyone post or direct me to some literature, stats etc that I can use to counter a colleague who post stuff on my FB page about mass shootings EVERY day, that hes more likely to encounter a negligent discharge than radical islamic terrorism, etc....

Thanks...sorry if this is in the wrong section. Wasnt sure where to place it.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    True. They don't respond to logic. Instead they worry about what feels good. Just look at Chicago crime rates vs the rest of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Sorry ABN but I can't help you on those specific stats. Does he literally post every day on your page? And the same thing on other people's pages? If so, countering with real stats on FB will likely cause him to up the anti post dribble because some people simply refuse to accept facts. I say handle it (whatever you decide "it" should entail) FTF or do the block thing.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    He's rude and imposing-taking over your social media to spread his swill...seems the only solution he deserves is to be banished/blocked/whatever to deny him your billboard.Don't worry about offending him-he's NOT worried about offending you. Flush.

hizer4648

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2017
    Tell him to look up stats for our "vestinos"(neighbors) to the south. Mejico has absolute gun control, except for 22 cal single shot rifles. The cartels, policia and cliquas are endlessly getting into gun battles. Not to mention beheadings. The only thing imo from keeping that violence from coming here full tilt is our 2nd..

austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    While I agree and most likely will just block or unfriend him, I cannot stand giving his liberal biased bullshit any justification whatsoever so Id love to toss back some real info and then close it down on him. He doesnt post every day, but when I post something, like the State of Ohio getting hacked by some ISIS propaganda last week, he was the first to reply with "but what about gun violence, yadda yadda". This was one of the things he posted as I was about to shut down my laptop and get on a plane from JFK to ABIA so I didnt have time to look into it much.
    https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/881210021027221504

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Most likely and linking to his stuff-I'd say he's winning. You're doing just what he wants by re-posting his tripe.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While I agree and most likely will just block or unfriend him, I cannot stand giving his liberal biased bullshit any justification whatsoever so Id love to toss back some real info and then close it down on him.

I know the feeling, but consider this. If that's what you go looking for, you'll find a LIMITLESS supply of irrational people that are highly vocal and filled with moral superiority about their uneducated beliefs. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect; unskilled and unaware of it. Life is too short for that. Best to just hide them, and unfriend them if it continues to be an issue (like they bug you through other means, DMs, chat, etc.).

In point and fact, pretty much all of the crime data available from remotely trustworthy organizations and agencies is significantly biased against their anti-gun beliefs. So it's not for lack of data.

A perfect example is the Texas DPS crime data collected on CHL / LTC holder convictions and publicly available on their site. Awhile back, I actually went through EVERY single year of the crime data and calculated the statistics for each individual year as well as several of the offense types. What I found was, in the ENTIRE history of licensed concealed carry in Texas, the CHL holder conviction rate has never risen above 0.50%. That's less than 1/2 of 1 percent of a CHL holder conviction rate. And the vast majority of those convictions were for stupid, non-violent offenses.

So taking that example alone, it's actually not up for debate. The data demonstrates that, in Texas, LTC holders are by far one of the MOST law-abiding groups of citizens there is. So when someone has a debate over that subject, for example, the issue that should be raised is one of cognitive dissonance. It's not that they have an opinion against it, and their opinion is somehow perfectly valid. It's just that they're wrong, the data proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are wrong, and if they want to contest it, the only legitimate way to do so would be to systematically demonstrate how all of the DPS crime data is somehow flawed.

It's literally exactly the same type of argument when it comes to other hot-button topics, such as the mythical "wage gap" that purports to say that America (if not every other country) is a misogynist hell hole that devalues women to only 3/4 of a man...never mind federal law that has made such business practices illegal for nearly a half century. Sure, they'll fabricate their own statistics and studies that, at face value, might seem legitimate. But when you systematically deconstruct things, it always boils down to, "because feelings".

AKA not gonna happen. It's why I rarely entertain those arguments anymore, unless I'm fairly confident the other person is actually logical, and simply hasn't been exposed to legitimate facts. Most are not, and are biased at a subconsciously emotional level, which you will pretty much never be successful in changing.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Earplugs are for construction sites and shooting ranges.
    If we turn a deaf ear to them, they only yell louder.

That being said, you indicate this is an Internet "conversation".
    Unsbscribe.
    It really doesn't matter.

I needed this advice a few years back.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ignore him, any retort just fuels people like that. Stats and reason don't appeal to people like that. Those that are the most vocal are looking for conflict, they hate being ignored.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    The easiest way to change their mind is to break in to their house at around 3-4am, wake them up with a gun in their face, scream at them to give you all their valuables, and then once they are panicked and crying, take off your ski-mask and say: "See? Don't you wish you had a gun now?" Works every time.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The easiest way to change their mind is to break in to their house at around 3-4am, wake them up with a gun in their face, scream at them to give you all their valuables, and then once they are panicked and crying, take off your ski-mask and say: "See? Don't you wish you had a gun now?" Works every time.
    Of course that will be the moment you find out, in typical hypocritical liberal fashion, that they own a gun

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So you're that guy!

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Approximately 573 minimum, and arguably up to 1,470, a day have actually died, not just wounded, by medical practice since 1/1/2017. Tell him to direct his outrage in that direction.

Top Bottom