• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    If you're buying it for this purpose get a brass rod instead they're much stronger.

I have looked at trying a brass rod before but it scares me that I would damage the barrel if it was being tapped of center of the squib. I'll look at the wood rods and see what I can find.

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    When I first bought my 650 about 10 years ago I was learning how to use it at the same time I was setting it up for 45 Colt. Somehow I let one get through without powder before I got the powder check station adjusted. Next day at the range on about the third shot I got the quiet "pop" and a bullet stuck just inside the barrel. Tapped it out no problem and carried on. Never happened again, but I learned to set up the powder check die first.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    YEP. and a scary moment.. bought some full moons to go in a 45 acp revolver at a garage sale.. quite a deal guy said it was an estate sale of his brother who had been a CA LEO..

20 loaded full moons, and maybe another 60 or 70 rounds of 45 auto.. close to 200 rounds and the full moons for 20.. WIN

Squib round two days later.. LOSE.. Actually this could have been bad because i was using the moons for fast reloads.. so DA stuff.. good thing was i was doing a SA course of fire so when i heard the pop and instead of BLAM i knew it was close .. i wasn't worried about the barrel but didn't like taking it out "backwards".. brass rod.. bullet appeared to be half way down the barrel.. tapped it out no big deal.. except what "could" have happened..

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Sure I have, when my dad and I were learning to reload - it taught us to have a good system and stick to it, which boils down to: Don't allow distractions and no matter what, visually inspect the powder charge before placing a bullet on top.

As a range safety officer on the beginners' line and later in various action sports, I found it useful to keep a 30-cal solid brass rod in my rangebag to tap a bullet out of a barrel - plenty of folks would have squibs, which, although embarrassing, aren't a big deal in themselves unless the shooter tries to fire another round.

With the popularity of IPSC and later IDPA, the tap-rack-bang drill became popular - but indirectly caused a few guns to 'splode after a squib round was fired first and the shooter mistakenly assumed a jam or misfire before the safety officer could even open his mouth to yell "STOP!". Tap-rack-KABOOM....

In my progressive press I have an RCBS Lockout die as well as a bright LED strip - I never trust my equipment to do the job for me and I still use Eyeball Mk 1 on every single charged case before placing a bullet into the case.

Last edited:

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I don't recall the last time I had a "squib" but it was quite some time ago. Back in the '90s or early 2000s maybe. My buddy had a squib while taking his CHL range qual. Fortunately it was his last shot of the day and the bullet exited the barrel and fell to the floor directly in front of him. He said the ranger master mentioned it to him on the way out and they had a laugh about the missed points. My buddy was using my Ruger GP100, .357 Mag. I'm guessing he was shooting .38s from it as that is what I recommended for control. He bought the ammo where he was taking the range qual so it was factory ammo.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Get both. If the wood doesn't work, use the brass.

Went to HD and Lowes and they do not have wood dowels that are small enough to fit into a 556 barrel and even if they did the hardwood dowels they have would not hold up. Too flimsy. I am going to go with a brass rod. Most likely just sacrifice one I already have in the tool box.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    You can usually get a hard wood rod at a "real" lumber yard or a hobby store. But brass will work fine and won't hurt your bore anymore than a brass cleaning rod would. I've got some wooden dowels but I also have one-piece brass cleaning rods that work OK should I ever have another squib.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A friend was shooting his AR in 300 AAC with his .308 YHM suppressor this morning. Said he didn't notice anything when he squibbed a round (220 gr. FMJ). He did notice though, when the second round hit the squib. He had hearing protection in addition to the suppressor (a shooter next to him was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag).

The first projectile's jacket is protruding from the barrel, with the second projectile tip clearly seen inside the first one's jacket. The fragments were removed from the YHM suppressor and was not damaged. The ammo was bought from Palmetto State Armory and I am not familiar with the manufacturer, Gunn.

I apologize for the poor quality of the cell phone pics...

imag0588.jpg

imag0591.jpg

imag0593.jpg

imag0594.jpg

imag0595.jpg

imag0596.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Never my gun, or in my hand, (or from my ammo), but I've experienced one.

A former coworker of mine bought a gun, and him not being a gun guy and also being a somewhat stupid kid, I agreed to take him to the range to teach him how to use it without loss of life, limb, and/or property. Anyway, he's shooting this old .38 ammo of questionable origin, and when he pulled the trigger one time, I heard kind of more a "snap." Yelled "stop!" and checked. Sure enough, bullet stuck in the barrel. We tracked down a squib rod, cleared it and finished shooting.

At any rate, it was a good day shooting, and I thought the squib made a good lesson to paying close attention to what you're doing with a gun.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have looked at trying a brass rod before but it scares me that I would damage the barrel if it was being tapped of center of the squib. I'll look at the wood rods and see what I can find.

Brass is too soft to do anything to the steel on a gun barrel. That's why people use brass rods instead of steel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom