• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Who has ever experienced a squib? I was just wondering how common or rare they are. Back in my earlier days, I used to reload for my .45 Colt Blackhawk. I wasn't all that experienced yet and usually only reloaded 50 or 100 rounds at a time with my single stage Rock Chucker. Even though I visually checked and double checked every powder filled case in the bullet tray, somehow I must have missed one.

My BIL and I were out at the ranch plinking at cans. I had already shot 12 or 18 rounds, but on the next cylinder full, the third round just went "Poof" instead of "Bang". I knew what had happened and didn't try to fire another round, but I was shaking like a dog, because I could have just as easily cocked the hammer and tried it again.

Unfortunately, there was a bullet stuck in the barrel about an inch and a half in from the forcing cone. I tried hammering it out from the muzzle end with a wooden dowel, but that sucker was stuck in there but good. It wouldn't budge. I ended up taking it to McBride's Gun Shop. They got it out, but put a really ugly ding on my front sight somehow. They apologized for that and didn't charge me for removing the bullet. Awful nice of them. :laughing:

So, what are your experiences with squibs and how did you deal with them?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    If you haven't, then you're either extremely lucky, or you're lying. Factory rounds, I can't say that I've had any. Reloads, only one batch. .357 mag and like you said, poof. Knocked that round out of the barrel and next, poof. Said nuh uh ... and pulled the whole box that I had made. Wasn't going to go through that anymore. Since then, I can't say I've had any more.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I had a couple when I was getting used to reloading for pistol.

Found both with my PPQ. Stuck a rod in the barrel and smacked it down on the bench a couple times to clear the barrel.

Didn't scare me but one was embarrassing cause I was at a public range.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yes.
    Several times with reloaded pistol ammo.
    Nothing serious. Tapped them out of the barrel with a brass rod.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I had one that I had reloaded shortly after I first started rolling my own. Like others said, fortunately I heard the "poof" and knew immediately what had happened. Knocked it out and apparently it did no harm to the gun. Much more careful about checking now.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have never personally experienced one, but I don't reload.

I have had a couple happen to students in classes.

Edit; always reloads.

Last edited:

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Not on accident yet. I have purposely loaded one just so I know what it felt like and also to slug my bore. It wouldn't come out at first, but after letting some frog lube soak in it popped out easily.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Never had a squib load personally.

I was asked to assist in an event at our gun club where local kids were brought in for a day at the range. The club had a supply of M1 Garands and M1 Carbines and some of the members loaded up a pile of 30-06 ammo for the kids to shoot.

One kid had an M1 Garand and was shooting right beside me. I heard the awful POP! and just before he triggered another round, I called a cease fire. Sure enough, the cartridge had no powder and the bullet was stuck in the barrel! A second round would have been ugly with an obstructed barrel!

It was easy to hear if the round had powder in it so we started shake testing the reloads. We found several more with no powder. Rather than calling off the event, we tested 100% of the 30-06 rounds for powder and found quite a few that were without propellant. Once sorted, the firing resumed without any further problems.

We probably saved several M1's and prevented some injuries that day.

Flash

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    Reloaded well over 100k rounds and never had one. I use a Dillon 650 with a powder check.

I've seen at least a dozen happen at matches. They make a very distinct sound and once you've heard one it's very easy to notice when it happens again. They were always able to remove the stuck bullet with a brass rod and hammer.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Never on accident.

When I started reloading I was experimenting with super low charges in .44 Magnum cases and found out how little was too little powder.

My buddy received some reloads as a part of a deal and had a few before we started pulling them apart.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I have had two squibs, no big deal. Last Sunday, I had a Ka-boom. A bigger deal but no damage to me or my 1911. The mag however, is toast. Split the case at the web, blew the basepad off the mag. Follwer, spring, and basepad down range. Hands had some GSW on them. No burns or injury at all. Scary moment. Last round in mag.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've had a few from the factory but none that got stuck in the barrel.

When I first started reloading I figured using half the maximum amount of powder would save powder and result in half the recoil. Perfect for plinking. Turns out using half the powder actually results in the bullet getting stuck half-way down the barrel of my Beretta 92. Did 100 rounds that way... :beat:

DenverDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Northfield, MN
    I had some when I first started loading with a MEC 9000 Hydraulic..... The press was so dang fast to cycle that I wasn't being patient enough to let the powder drop a full charge before I hit the foot switch. I loaded about 3 flats before I found out I had a problem.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Had one in a 92FS 25 years ago. Since I had never had it happen I took it to a gun smith who used a wood dowel and tapped it out. No damage to the barrel. Fifteen years later I had one in a BushMaster shorty. Took it home and used a damaged cleaning rod wrapped with a cotton swab and tapped it out going forward. Not recommended but it worked without any damage.

Both were common factory rounds.

This is a great reminder that I need to find a wooden dowel for this and add it to my tool box when shooting. I also need to add a larger enough hammer as well.

ETA: Where would be a good place to locate a wooden dowel strong enough for this?

Last edited:

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Fortunately I have not had it happen to me but I've seen it a few times, both on the Marine Corps KD range and civilian ranges.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    I have had one since I have started reloading. a 40 S&W case. hey but 1 out of every 4k isn't bad, Right?:confused:

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    This is a great reminder that I need to find a wooden dowel for this and add it to my tool box when shooting. I also need to add a larger enough hammer as well.

ETA: Where would be a good place to locate a wooden dowel strong enough for this?

If you're buying it for this purpose get a brass rod instead they're much stronger.

Top Bottom