Target Sports

Have You Ever Quit a Job You Loved Going to Everyday?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Why can't you?

Because there are days I wish I could do that again, does not match up to the days I can look at my wife and say” the Pogues are playing in Belfast next week, I can get tickets, do you want to go for a weekend? And actually be able to do it. I really do like what I do a lot. It ain’t playing in the woods for a living , but it is not bad at all.
    Guns International

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Yeah, I did. But flying around covering the good old USA had to stop when the kids decided to come along. Allegedly I had something to do with that. Took a lesser role and knew that would start a 18-24 month timeclock on leaving the company for good. But I love my kids more than I loved that team...but damn I miss the team!

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I walked away from the best job I ever had after the management changed overnight for political reasons. After 25 years of working my way up through several branches of the same organization I ended up in charge of a major department for a large DOE contractor. I was making more money than I ever had, had a $1 million dollar home and a great team of 300 employees who I pulled together into a well oiled unit. I won the favor of the DOE folks in Washington and had strong support there.

A new President was appointed and he in turn booted out my CEO and appointed one of his old cronies from Bell Labs. We had an organization of 4,000 employees and the biggest group this guy had ever led was a 60 person research lab inside of a university. He was completely incompetent, totally paranoid and set about getting rid of every senior manager his predecessor had hired so he could surround himself with people who owed their position to him, not because of their own competence.

After a year or so, he set his sights on me and they started trying to undermine me but my support base in Washington told them to leave me alone. Then, I was ordered to falsify government documents so I could choose between insubordination or committing a Federal crime. I chose to leave after my attorney told me best case scenario was a long and expensive lawsuit that would drag everyone through the mud and leave me in limbo until such time as a settlement could be carved out. I had a friend who had gone though almost the same thing in another branch and he was out of work for 3 years while the lawyers fought back and forth and, although he ended up with a reasonable settlement and placement in a mediocre job, it cost him his marriage and most of his sanity.

I left and started my own consulting business which, although rewarding, has never given me even half of what I would have made had I continued there.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Then, I was ordered to falsify government documents

Once parted ways with a company over the same issue, except it was internal company reports and not government documents. Was hard financially for a while. But at least I could still look my father in the eye, and pass on his good name to my descendants. Never regretted the decision.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Never quit one I loved, but I lost a couple. One was a simple case of insufficient revenue and eventual closure, the other was a business acquisition that didn't work out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have quit a job I loved. I started my own business. 15 years now I’ve been my own boss. Love it and hate it.

My dad used to quote a bible verse: “to every thing there is a season.” If you’ve had enough travel and saved some cash, it’s never too late to make a change.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    No, I have never quit a job I loved but then I have never had a job I loved all of the time. I've had some that were pretty good to excellent at time s but at other times sucked the big one. Stuck with them throughout my career to make a living and because I liked what I was doing most of the time. The best part was the hunting but I hunted two legged game not deer in the woods. It was an adventure to say the least.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Right after HS I got a job as a bell man/valet at the main hotel at the Pinehurst golf resort in NC. I did that for about 5 years until I joined the Marines. That was a fun job. Drove some cool cars and made good money. Almost everyone is there to have a good time which made my job quite pleasant. I really enjoyed taking care of the guests and ensuring their stay was memorable.

The Marine had good days and bad days. The flying wasn’t so bad, not sure if I would have made a career out of it or not. Originally my MOS was an operations based job. A few years before I got out they made made us part of the maintenance department. That sealed the deal for me. There is no desire to be efficient in doing things or do them in a rational manner in maintenance in any squadron I was in. It really feels like some of the senior enlisted came to work just to see how bad they could make things and trying to talk about making things run more efficiently was a good way to get put on a shit list. It’s like they thought that only worked in operations and don’t try to bring that to maintenance.

After my first enlistment I tried to get my wife to agree to me changing to EOD. She didn’t go for it. Might have stuck around 20+ for that.

Ready to bail from current job. It has been really challenging running a 2nd shift manufacturing crew. Employee issues are tough enough but not getting information from my boss has been impossible. Several years ago he said we (2nd shift) are on a deserted island. We get no information and no support. Of course he would be the one to see that we get what we need but it’s been like pulling teeth. Money is good. Never see my family though. And still haven’t finished my degree which is why I wanted a 2nd shift job.

Change is coming though.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    And still haven’t finished my degree which is why I wanted a 2nd shift job.

Change is coming though.

Worth it. Worked full time and went to school full time. My wife was an angel during that period in our lives. Make it happen. You won't regret it.

Top Bottom