TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Completed Garden Bench

View attachment 395322

The original bench slats are long gone, I remember that they were wider. I may make some adjustments with a couple of the slats, or I may leave it this way for "rustic" appeal. I rushed a bit and drilled a couple of the bolt holes "off", I don't have a drill press and the wood was wanting to lose its shape, even though I gave it a bit to acclimate. Overall I am satisfied, all that the bench really needs to do is hold my ass off of the ground!
    Do those legs sink into the ground if not on pads?
    Venture Surplus ad

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Maybe a 1/4 inch, there was very little rust on the bottom of the legs.

My other endeavors were planting okra, yellow bush beans, carrots, yellow squash, and zucchini. There is still time to get another crop of these before the first freeze. I want to plant some heat-resistant Kale, chard, and other leafy veggies. I need to start at the start of August planting in cups, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli.

Last edited:

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I just put several bags of white rice, brown rice, pinto beans, Great Northern, and red kidney beans in
    SealAMeal bags, left them in original package.

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I think brown rice will not store very long, it still has "oils" in it. I may misremember though. The dry canning in mason jars is really to prevent rodents from accessing your "preps". I do store some rice, flour, beans, sugar, and salt in 5-gallon food-grade buckets broken down into smaller resealable Mylar bags.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This afternoon I planted more yellow squash, the package I found yesterday only had five seeds left, swiss chard, and blue kale, and I am going to try parsnips. I bought a seed packet last year that I never planted, so with the revamped beds, I have the space (6' x 4'). I have another kale variety to plant, but I was feeling too lazy to go find it in my seed stores.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Update, yellow beans, squash, zucchini, carrots, and okra are coming along. Parsnips, kale, and chard have not sprouted. This morning was spent tying up tomato vines, they had become so heavy that the strings failed. I also cleaned out a couple of beds, damn it's hot and humid.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This is not the normal kale that you find in the store, I don't like that one either. This is good, slightly sweet. Tastes good if you cook it like collard/mustard greens, or in a salad.

Just finished setting up a cattle panel trellis and planting some cucumbers.

My eyes are burning from sweating so damn much, time to hydrate with some Gatorade.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Nearly a month since my last update to this thread. I finally had some time to pick some pears. I canned 8 quarts and at this moment I am attempting my first batch of pear honey, it is simmering at this very moment, 4:58 PM. At least another hour of simmering to thicken then after jarring, 10 minutes of water bath. Wish me luck!

I picked what used to be a large paper bag full from my tree, maybe 30 pounds. I could fill up at least 4 more bags.

ETA 6:19 PM 6 pints of pear honey in the water bath.

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    With the drought being so terrible, pretty much everything died except the okra. Today I had 3.5 inches of rain. I was able to get out this afternoon and put some seeds out. I'm hoping any freezes will be late and/or the winter will be mild. I planted carrots, kohl rabi, cabbage, lettuce, sweet peas, broccoli and radish. I'm thinking of trying potatoes, I have some that are sprouting. It may be a waste of time if the weather is bad, and we have freezing weather but I think I'm going to try anyway.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...when baking - recipes call for certain amounts that should not be fiddled with ....
    Cooking is an art rife with opportunities for self expression by playing with every single variable.

Baking is a science where failing to pay perfect attention to time, temp, ingredient quantity, and even relative humidity can lead to destruction.

I love to cook. I'm way too sloppy to bake.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Cooking is an art rife with opportunities for self expression by playing with every single variable.

Baking is a science where failing to pay perfect attention to time, temp, ingredient quantity, and even relative humidity can lead to destruction.

The extent of my baking is some BitchQuick biscuits & frozen pizzas.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

baking is almost as much a scienc as it is an art!

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I'm not very good at it, but bread making is therapeutic in my unemployed life. I get to pound the sliminess out of something and get an useful result.

Top Bottom