Having more time available now

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Speaking of Kung-Flu, you should of seen the looks I was getting at the Katy, Tx Buc-ee's I was getting today. How dare I not obey Her Majesty's dictate and not wear a mask!

Does she bake that in the oven so the Dutch oven heats evenly? or over a wood fire with coals on the lid? Inquiring minds want to know!

MTA89

CEO of Systemic Racism INC.
TGT Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Texoma
Speaking of Kung-Flu, you should of seen the looks I was getting at the Katy, Tx Buc-ee's I was getting today. How dare I not obey Her Majesty's dictate and not wear a mask!

Does she bake that in the oven so the Dutch oven heats evenly? or over a wood fire with coals on the lid? Inquiring minds want to know!
Baked in the house oven

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Update, getting ready for the fall garden. Thursday I had 6 yards of mushroom mulch delivered. Starting on Friday, began cleaning out some of the old beds, preparing new beds, and even transplanted some asparagus plants I started earlier in the year. I will be planting more asparagus seed, I still have about half a packet left. I side dressed some of the tomatoes, I planted the indeterminate types this year and they are still producing and have reached over 10 feet in length/height. There is still one bed of tomatoes that need side dressing. Going to start setting up some trellises for planting sweet peas, I love fresh peas! I still need to get the cabbage, kohlrabi, lettuce, spinach, turnips, cauliflower and broccoli started. I almost have the bed for a fall potato planting finished also. I have just been slowed down by the intermittent rain. Does anyone have any suggestions for fall/winter garden crops? What are you doing for a fall/winter garden?

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
Today, planted, sweet peas, lettuce, kohlrabi, cauliflower, cabbage and a new batch of bush beans. Dressed some more beds. After this evenings thunder storms and high winds I had to go out and pick pears that were knocked out of the tree, I'd guess about 30 pounds or so. I need more jars to make canned pears, pear butter and pear jam, I might even try pear honey. Probably about the same amount left hanging on the tree. I was not planning on picking them yet, pears ripen when you pick them, now I am on a deadline!

BuzzinSATX

Dec 20, 2013
Outside San Antonio
.....Does anyone have any suggestions for fall/winter garden crops? What are you doing for a fall/winter garden?
Brother, you are making me so envious! My garden has been hammered by the heat! I have water, but need to figure out some shade. Peppers are doing okay, though.

My winter garden in the SE Hill Country is greens and root vegetables. Collards, kale, carrots, radishes, etc. Also garlic and onions when it cools. I’m planting squash & cucumbers now.

But I’m a novice, so I’m definitely open to your advice!

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
I only have a small area that is shaded part of the day. Are you mulching at all to help retain moisture? Temps here are pretty hot, I was showing 95 in the shade at 3:30 today.
Are you planting in the ground or in raised beds, or containers? If in containers, you will need to water more often, I have peppers in 2 gallon containers, I water them almost every evening. Sometimes they do not need water, so I may skip a day.
I need to get collard or mustard green seed, I forgot to order them when I placed my last order. As far as shade get the stuff they use on high tunnels.
https://www.amazon.com/share-Black-...8046&sprefix=shade+high+tunnel,aps,400&sr=8-2 .

Please keep in mind, I planted the seed for transplanting later, I have some temporary bed space available. I have been letting my tomatoes go, I need to prune them, but I have been ignoring them other than daily watering and an occasional feeding.

As you can see from the following photos, I do not have much growing now. Most of what I am doing now is preparation, I also have a somewhat small area to work with. You can see what remains of the mushroom compost I have yet to use. In photo 3 you see the 3 fig trees I have yet to transplant, these have come a long way from the 2 inch little starts they were in January. I still have more to do, it is an evolving project.

IMG_0302.jpg IMG_0303.jpg IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0305.jpg

Attachments

2ManyGuns

In 1911's I Trust
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in Texas!
I still have caps to install on some of those beds, time time time! never enough! And I need to build at least 3 more beds a 2' X 8' X 18" and 2 4' X 8' X 18" (possibly 3 of the last).

Buzz is your property flat or on a hillside? If on a hillside have you considered terracing and then backfilling to retain more rain water. Could be done on the cheap, some treated 4 X 4 and re-bar, some good topsoil and then compost it. I would do at least 12 inches deep, 18 would be better.

Top Bottom