• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    All those in San Marcos, Buda, Kyle, Manchaca, and/or anywhere else in Hays County, listen up! I just got word of this from a friend. Next Wednesday, August 20th, Hays County Judge Liz Sumter (D-Wimberley) has called for a meeting at 10:00am at her office in the Hays County Courthouse. The intended purpose of the meeting is for exploring the possibility of putting together a program to promote firearm safety in the county. This is coming hot on the heels of a recent vote against a proposed firearm discharge legislative bill by Pct. 2 Commissioner Jeff Barton (D-Kyle) back in March of this year. Luckily we won that vote 3-2. Judge Sumter voted against this bill thankfully. The event that sparked all of this, as well as the proposed discharge regulation bill was the unfortunate death, in April of '07, of a 7 year old boy in Kyle due to a negligent discharge from a man target shooting on his property. Obviously that guy ignored golden rule #4.

I just checked the Hays County website, and unfortunately I don't see mention of this meeting, however it may just be that it is an informal one for Judge Sumter herself (I would suspect so since she has called for it): Link
    As I am posting this late (well early at this point!), I will be calling them later today to see if I can verify the time and place of the meeting. I will post up if there are any changes.

For those of you Hays residents, we have an excellent opportunity here. I know there aren't too many of us on this forum, however if any of you can make it, I'd really appreciate it. I am definitely going to be there. I so relish the idea of being able to get away from this government forced/mandated regulation mentality, and being able to actually encourage people to take the responsibility for themselves to better themselves and their peers as opposed to being forced to do so. This is an opportunity we have to actually get the ball rolling towards such an outcome.

Here is the location of the meeting as well as Judge Sumter's contact info:

111 E. San Antonio St., Ste. 300
    San Marcos, Texas 78666
    Phone: (512) 393-2205
    Fax: (512) 393-2282
    Email: lizsumter@co.hays.tx.us
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    *UPDATE* I spoke with the receptionist at Judge Sumter's office earlier today. The meeting is in fact this coming Wednesday (August 20th) at 10am, at her office at the address listed above. I realize it's short notice but, if anyone local reads this and is able to make it, I'd really appreciate it. I will be there, and the receptionist mentioned that Judge Sumter is looking for volunteers to help organize some sort of firearm safety campaign, so the more pro-gun people offering to help out the better.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ooops! Big mistake, it's WEDNESDAY the 20th of next week and not monday as I originally stated. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I, and HK, attended the meeting this morning and it went well. We discussed an upcoming safety initiative for Hays Co. dubbed "Shoot Smart" that is designed to draw attention to the fundamental safety rules of shooting.

We also discussed a more long-term ideology surrounding the initiative that will involve a hands-on approach for shooters of all ages. We agreed that a performing program requires hands-on in order to be retained; the emphasis being on retention via mindset and practice.

All-n-all a productive meeting. We had about 15 people on hand.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Our division's "Team Building" retreat was Wednesday:confused: Keep us posted if they have any other meetings. I will pass the info on to Matt and any other certified instructors I know.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The meeting was eventful and turned out well I think. Actually, we even had a celebrity there! Willy T. Ribbs showed up with his son Theo. Mr. Ribbs is an ex-motorsports driver that many of you may remember from the 70's through to the 90's in CART, F1, and Indy and many other racing series. He and his son both are part of the NSCA (National Sporting Clays Association), and his son is an up and coming shooter in the organization. We also had a CHL instructor there, Libertarian candidate for Congress 25th district, representative of Republican candidate for Congress 25th district, and a whole host of other people from various walks of life. It was nice to meet such a diverse group of people that all love and respect the 2nd amendment. We definitely had a great showing for our side. Not a single anti-gun type of individual showed up thankfully. ;)

There is another meeting planned for the 30th of this month (next saturday) at the Cabelas in Buda at ~11am I believe. I don't yet have all of the details though, like the exact time and purpose involved. I believe at that time they will initially be providing things like these "Shoot Safe" flyers out to the public.

One thing I would just like to add. I feel this program is going in a good direction, so far at least. I can see some other guns owners getting bent out of shape at people in the firearms community helping out the government (local, state, federal, etc) in this sort of program. Just the mere concept of working with the government can get some people bent out of shape, but to those that would have fears like that I would ask you to please put them aside for just a moment and look at the facts. It is a completely voluntary and educational program designed to inform people about being safe with their firearms, and to encourage people to take the initiative to seek out firearms training in order to become safer and more proficient with their firearms. Basically, it's about encouraging education and helping other firearms owners to want to become better owners. Nothing wrong with that. Notice I keep using the word encourage. Take the government part completely out of the equation and just think about the basics. Wouldn't most of us as gun owners want to encourage our peers to follow the 4 golden safety rules, and to seek out training so they can learn how to properly use their firearms? Ultimately it's up to every individual to decide whether to or not. Just thought I would be a bit preemptive as I can see a few people possibly getting bent out of shape by this whole thing.

Don't worry though, we are keeping an eye out on the whole project and should any of it head in a direction we dislike (mandatory firearms training, new rules and regulations, etc etc) then we will certainly work to correct any issues like that. As it is, I do not see this program heading in that direction.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom