• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    I spent about 40min looking over his new FB page and didn't see any comments about any bills other than support on open carry and campus carry. If this is not a wake up call on what Texans are concerned about then I don't what is. There is no way he can place anything higher on the priority list unless he has absolutely no regard for the issues that concern those he is supposed to be working for. It will be completely dumbfounding if this never comes to a vote. The only thing that would make sitting on this bill worse is if he or any other representative who opposes open carry are reelected.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I like all the "just vote" comments...reminds me of NObama :cool:
    Yeah, I had that feeling too, but I still want to urge them to vote on open carry and campus carry. The bill that expands where a CHL holder can carry is pretty important, too.

I guess not even allowing these to come up for vote is the anti-RKBA folk's filibuster :p

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I spent about 40min looking over his new FB page and didn't see any comments about any bills other than support on open carry and campus carry. If this is not a wake up call on what Texans are concerned about then I don't what is. There is no way he can place anything higher on the priority list unless he has absolutely no regard for the issues that concern those he is supposed to be working for. It will be completely dumbfounding if this never comes to a vote. The only thing that would make sitting on this bill worse is if he or any other representative who opposes open carry are reelected.

That just might be because out of 159 likes, the majority are coming from forums, maybe even this one? And a lot of the comments are not helping anything, and actually some make supporters of OC look like the stereotyped goons the anti's try to paint us as.

I'd also venture to bet that the majority of those posting on FB aren't contacting anyone's office. A lot of the comments here sound the same way. They need to hear friendly supporting voices on the phone or thoughtful letters stacked up on fax machines. I think most of their offices will say, even email isn't the best way for them to count and show support. But it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    "Our side" needs to learn and accept the use of technology and social media. Our young generations and current society demands 'ease of use and convenience'. I know us old school folks prefer phone calls, face to face conversations and hand written letters. If we adhere to that form of communication only, we will lag behind the curve like we did in '08 and '12 elections.

Media communication is easy to input (FB users/constituents) and easy to evaluate (candidates with FB pages/interns/aids/assistants/campaign helpers. Let's get real, lots of young staffers). Make the writing on the wall easy to read. Make it easy to convey as well.

TheRef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    That just might be because out of 159 likes, the majority are coming from forums, maybe even this one? And a lot of the comments are not helping anything, and actually some make supporters of OC look like the stereotyped goons the anti's try to paint us as.

I'd also venture to bet that the majority of those posting on FB aren't contacting anyone's office. A lot of the comments here sound the same way. They need to hear friendly supporting voices on the phone or thoughtful letters stacked up on fax machines. I think most of their offices will say, even email isn't the best way for them to count and show support. But it's better than nothing.

I don't disagree with your observation but will say that regardless of what the motivation or where it comes from, Mr. Pickett's staff thought it worthwhile to post a FB page which means they are interested enough in testing the waters. Additionally, the liberal activist are much more aggressive in the social media world and this is just their kinda game. A little more time will tell but if the left is really a majority and they stick to pattern, the page will begin to show their input. I don't think discounting the credit of social media in this day and age would be a smart move on Mr. Pickett's part.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I don't disagree with your observation but will say that regardless of what the motivation or where it comes from, Mr. Pickett's staff thought it worthwhile to post a FB page which means they are interested enough in testing the waters. Additionally, the liberal activist are much more aggressive in the social media world and this is just their kinda game. A little more time will tell but if the left is really a majority and they stick to pattern, the page will begin to show their input. I don't think discounting the credit of social media in this day and age would be a smart move on Mr. Pickett's part.

When you read some of the posts, you might change your mind. Too many people let their ignorance show on FB for example. It's hard to take someone serious when they're making assertions and accusations that show just how little the person knows, about the bills and the process. If people are serious, they'll make the effort to be productive in their communication.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    When you read some of the posts, you might change your mind. Too many people let their ignorance show on FB for example. It's hard to take someone serious when they're making assertions and accusations that show just how little the person knows, about the bills and the process. If people are serious, they'll make the effort to be productive in their communication.

With all due respect, I read the first 150 comments and I didn't see any that raised eyebrows for being rude or threatening. Maybe I was looking at something different than what you are describing :confused:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If the comments are showing support for the bill I don't see how "knowing the process" will matter. Look how many people vote who have little or no understanding of how our government works. Those are the ones that can sway an election.

I also didn't see any inflammatory comments. Mostly just a lot saying "vote on HB700"

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    With all due respect, I read the first 150 comments and I didn't see any that raised eyebrows for being rude or threatening. Maybe I was looking at something different than what you are describing :confused:

I guess I could go along with my comments meaning "rude" but where did I ever say threatening? I said accusations.

A few comments from the posts on his page:

Quit dragging your feet and FORCING your own political agenda
    Texans remember who our friends are when it comes to votes and donations....as well as our enemies..
    Fight for our rights, instead of restricting them
    I would like to see a vote on hb700 no obstructionism please
    Open carry is our constitutional right!
    The people of Texas know a smokescreen when they see one. It's time to stop dawdling.
    Stop fooling around and get HB 700 and HB 1194 OUT of committee!

I'll stop there, but there are more, most seem to have been in the initial wave of posts. Since another 20-30 people have joined his page they seem to be less like the first bunch.

That's what I'm talking about, ignorance does nothing for credibility of the person or the cause. If you want to use the word "rude", I'm good with that. How do those kinds of comments help anything? I'd love to know how many of those people actually picked up a phone and called to share those thoughts. I mean, "Open carry is our constitutional right!" how can anyone take that person serious making an ignorant comment like that? I can only guess they aren't from Texas and don't care to know anything about Texas and it's Constitution, nor do they care anything about states rights.

It's single issue people that could care less about anything and that's dangerous and counter productive.

I'm just saying, during the process is when they need support, if for nothing else than to keep from pissing someone off and actually encouraging them to do what people are accusing them of. It's already a sensitive enough climate, they just need to know people care, and understand what it is they care about and can reasonably consider priority. For example, OC threads here are getting a lot of traffic, yet other threads about other bills barely have cricket chirps. I find it hard to believe that the majority of CHL holders feel that the method in which they can choose to carry is more important than expanding the places they can carry, or adding protections to carry or clarifying laws etc. I'll keep saying, I support OC 100% and I want that choice, but I'm looking for the low hanging fruit and don't want to see things that might have had a better chance, get passed over for a bigger fight for something that won't make it in the end.

The Committee and our reps need to know we care and we understand what it is we care about and we realize these issues are a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. If it takes giving a hug to a bleeding-heart anti-gun law maker like for example, Royce West, to get something past them, my arms are open (and my eyes and nose are closed!) :cool:

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't think any comments you posted are going to do any damage. They are politicians and its not the first time someone slung mud at them. What you posted would barely be considered dust.

Yes, we do remember those who support the things we want and we have an even better memory of anyone who delays or blocks those things.

First you say Facebook is not a good place to make a voice heard, then you say a voice on Facebook is damaging to our cause. Which is it?

Would you suppose we sit back patiently and maybe try again in 2 years?

I just fail to see the posts having this great negative impact your so afraid of.

Top Bottom