HB410 - CHL Holders no Longer to Display CHL w/ ID

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Texas1911, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    State Representative Carl Isett (R-Lubbock) has introduced House Bill 410, a measure repealing the requirement that Concealed Handgun Licensees display their carry license if they are in possession of a handgun and are stopped by a law enforcement officer who requests identification. Under current law, failure by CHLs to display their carry licenses in these situations could lead to licenses being suspended for 90 days. When HB 1815 by Representative Isett and State Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen) passed and was signed into law in 2007, it legalized the carrying of handguns in private motor vehicles by non-CHLs, and it contained no similar "notice" requirement. HB 410 would remove the double-standard "notice" requirement that remains imposed by law on CHLs.

2. DopaVash

DopaVash Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    Sounds good to me. Now where's my Open Carry bill?

3. Strick

Strick New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Katy, TX
    I try to look at it from a LEO point of view though. When they run you they will see that you have a CHL and now they are not sure if you are or are not carrying. If you are carrying legally I don't see a problem with presenting the CHL and notifying the LEO in an effort to not cause any bad misunderstandings.

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I absolutely 100% agree. With a CHL, the LEO will find out, without one, they won't. It won't do anything for "safety" concerns on the LEO's behalf, but I do agree with the basis of the double standard. However, while it might make sense to put some of that same burden on a non-CHL, there's no way a LEO will know unless they ask and I'm not a fan of adding more laws to make existing laws seem more fair.

But again, I think it I for whatever reason, wasn't thinking and didn't present my CHL in a traffic stop and was carrying, I should not be penalized where a non CHL holder wouldn't anyway.

I consider this one of those housekeeping bills that really isn't a big deal, it just makes sense for it to be passed and we move on.

5. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Aside from the misunderstandings, that CHL tells the officer a lot about me as a CHL holder; good things! I believe it's in our best interest to announce to an officer that we're CHL holders. Is it a double-standard or invasion of privacy? And on those grounds, the requirement may by dropped. Many shall-issue states do not require the display of the CHL, so we'd be in good company. I, for one, intend to keep displaying me regardless of any changes in the law.

6. PopsXD9sc

PopsXD9sc Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I am pretty sure that presenting my CHL during a recent traffic stop helped me out. Officer was ready to write a ticket (book was out and pen in hand) when he asked for my DL. Gave him CHL too and his whole demeanor changed. Let me off with a warning, have a safe day, and I wish more people would get a CHL-makes my job easier. Sure there is a double standard but think I can live with being required (and more than willing) to show the license.

7. Renegade

Renegade TGT Addict

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The point is ONLY CHLs have to state they are carrying. LEOs do not, non-CHLs, do not. It is just cleaning up an inconsistency in the Law. CHLs would still be free to voluntarily show their ID if they choose to.

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    It was my understanding that LEOs treat all stops as if the person was in possession of a firearm, in regards to care and approach.

Then he runs the license and sees a CHL holder.

Wouldn't that make the actual displaying of CHL card moot?

Overall about HB410, I like it in regards to equal requirements in regards to nonCHLed car carry.

I'm also glad to see Sen. Hinojosa working on bills for the firearm community. I've been trying to reach him without luck.

9. Strick

Strick New Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Katy, TX
    Yeah, I understand where you are coming from on that point.

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Bingo.