• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    State Representative Carl Isett (R-Lubbock) has introduced House Bill 410, a measure repealing the requirement that Concealed Handgun Licensees display their carry license if they are in possession of a handgun and are stopped by a law enforcement officer who requests identification. Under current law, failure by CHLs to display their carry licenses in these situations could lead to licenses being suspended for 90 days. When HB 1815 by Representative Isett and State Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen) passed and was signed into law in 2007, it legalized the carrying of handguns in private motor vehicles by non-CHLs, and it contained no similar "notice" requirement. HB 410 would remove the double-standard "notice" requirement that remains imposed by law on CHLs.
    ARJ Defense ad

Strick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Katy, TX
    I try to look at it from a LEO point of view though. When they run you they will see that you have a CHL and now they are not sure if you are or are not carrying. If you are carrying legally I don't see a problem with presenting the CHL and notifying the LEO in an effort to not cause any bad misunderstandings.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I try to look at it from a LEO point of view though. When they run you they will see that you have a CHL and now they are not sure if you are or are not carrying. If you are carrying legally I don't see a problem with presenting the CHL and notifying the LEO in an effort to not cause any bad misunderstandings.

I absolutely 100% agree. With a CHL, the LEO will find out, without one, they won't. It won't do anything for "safety" concerns on the LEO's behalf, but I do agree with the basis of the double standard. However, while it might make sense to put some of that same burden on a non-CHL, there's no way a LEO will know unless they ask and I'm not a fan of adding more laws to make existing laws seem more fair.

But again, I think it I for whatever reason, wasn't thinking and didn't present my CHL in a traffic stop and was carrying, I should not be penalized where a non CHL holder wouldn't anyway.

I consider this one of those housekeeping bills that really isn't a big deal, it just makes sense for it to be passed and we move on.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas

Aside from the misunderstandings, that CHL tells the officer a lot about me as a CHL holder; good things! I believe it's in our best interest to announce to an officer that we're CHL holders. Is it a double-standard or invasion of privacy? And on those grounds, the requirement may by dropped. Many shall-issue states do not require the display of the CHL, so we'd be in good company. I, for one, intend to keep displaying me regardless of any changes in the law.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I am pretty sure that presenting my CHL during a recent traffic stop helped me out. Officer was ready to write a ticket (book was out and pen in hand) when he asked for my DL. Gave him CHL too and his whole demeanor changed. Let me off with a warning, have a safe day, and I wish more people would get a CHL-makes my job easier. Sure there is a double standard but think I can live with being required (and more than willing) to show the license.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

The point is ONLY CHLs have to state they are carrying. LEOs do not, non-CHLs, do not. It is just cleaning up an inconsistency in the Law. CHLs would still be free to voluntarily show their ID if they choose to.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    It was my understanding that LEOs treat all stops as if the person was in possession of a firearm, in regards to care and approach.

Then he runs the license and sees a CHL holder.

Wouldn't that make the actual displaying of CHL card moot?

Overall about HB410, I like it in regards to equal requirements in regards to nonCHLed car carry.

I'm also glad to see Sen. Hinojosa working on bills for the firearm community. I've been trying to reach him without luck.

Strick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Katy, TX
    The point is ONLY CHLs have to state they are carrying. LEOs do not, non-CHLs, do not. It is just cleaning up an inconsistency in the Law. CHLs would still be free to voluntarily show their ID if they choose to.

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from on that point.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I see no reason for a CHL holder to be required to display his license when stopped. Is it a good idea? IMHO absolutely! Yes, I act under the assumption that every car I stop has at least one firearm in it. I am equally cautious with all violators. Once I see the CHL, I know a few things about the caliber of the person I have stopped. Recent background check, some degree of training, a mindset that is different than a sheeple.

Ticket a CHL holder? Never have. He/she would have to talk me into it.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    I am going to either produce the CHL or tell the LEO. I don't want him/her to find out from the computer, whatever the law. Complete disclosure is always the best policy.
    That and the Officer will never have to wonder where my hands are. They stay fully disclosed too. Its a matter of respect. I like being a smart a$$ here, but a traffic stop is real life.

tju1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    McKinney Texas
    I agree with this to an extent-- but even if passed, I would probably show my CHL to the officer and let him know if I was armed or not. I have been stopped 2 times since I got my CHL and both times it ended well for me. Both times the officer asked for my license and I gave him both -- I let hime know that I was carrying and where it was located. Both times the officer went to his car, came back in a few minutes, and gave me my licenses back-- both times with just a warning ticket also-- one in fact said he thanked me for carrying and bbeing so open with the info and polite-- and that he said that CCLs help him do his job better--

The funny thing was that that stop was for 40+ in a school zone (my fault)-- he could have hammered me, but chose to cut me some slack- I would like to think it was due to me having a CCL and showing him up front in a polite, professional manner.

All in all though, I am sure there are some bad cops, but I choose to give all the "boys in blue" the benefit of the doubt and the respect I think the deserve for doing a generally thankless job--

I am ok either way this one goes..

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    This is a good law that has a good chance of passing if everyone calls their state reps and senators.

I just received an email form TSRA re the pending bills.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I agree with this to an extent-- but even if passed, I would probably show my CHL to the officer and let him know if I was armed or not. I have been stopped 2 times since I got my CHL and both times it ended well for me. Both times the officer asked for my license and I gave him both -- I let hime know that I was carrying and where it was located. Both times the officer went to his car, came back in a few minutes, and gave me my licenses back-- both times with just a warning ticket also-- one in fact said he thanked me for carrying and bbeing so open with the info and polite-- and that he said that CCLs help him do his job better--

The funny thing was that that stop was for 40+ in a school zone (my fault)-- he could have hammered me, but chose to cut me some slack- I would like to think it was due to me having a CCL and showing him up front in a polite, professional manner.

All in all though, I am sure there are some bad cops, but I choose to give all the "boys in blue" the benefit of the doubt and the respect I think the deserve for doing a generally thankless job--

I am ok either way this one goes..

See renegades reply in post #7. It's more of a housekeeping bill, fixing an inconsistency. It's not meant to change responsible behavior.

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    DL and CHL are not associated other than DPS as license authority

In this same bill do they disassociate the Driver's license with the CHL? If not, they should.

CHL is a TCIC entry and DL is LIDR. You must check a person by name and date of birth to hit on his or her CHL unless you know the CHL number. TCIC also has wanted person information which is why LEO's run violators, witness's or persons of interest by name and date of birth. In a nutshell, if a person checks you by your drivers license number then they will not know you have a CHL. If you get checked by name and date of birth your CHL will show as well as any warrants, sex offender status or protective order information.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    In this same bill do they disassociate the Driver's license with the CHL? If not, they should.

CHL is a TCIC entry and DL is LIDR. You must check a person by name and date of birth to hit on his or her CHL unless you know the CHL number. TCIC also has wanted person information which is why LEO's run violators, witness's or persons of interest by name and date of birth. In a nutshell, if a person checks you by your drivers license number then they will not know you have a CHL. If you get checked by name and date of birth your CHL will show as well as any warrants, sex offender status or protective order information.

I'm not sure I follow what whit128 is saying or if it really pertains to your question, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Or it could be he's using acronyms that 99.9% of us don't recognize. :1zhelp:

How are the "associated" now that you want changed?

whit128

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Central Texas, Williamson County
    CHL-Concealed handgun license
    TCIC-Texas crime information center
    LEO- Law enforcement officer
    LIDR- Driving record
    I believe he is refering to previous post which state that the police will find out he has a concealed handgun license when stopped for a traffic violation.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    CHL-Concealed handgun license
    TCIC-Texas crime information center
    LEO- Law enforcement officer
    LIDR- Driving record
    I believe he is refering to previous post which state that the police will find out he has a concealed handgun license when stopped for a traffic violation.

Thanks. It's the TCIC and LIDR that I hadn't heard before.

What is the LI in LIDR?

And I was under the impression that an LEO can in fact see the CHL when running your TDL, or running whatever they run once they have the TDL.

Top Bottom