HD shotgun for 4'11" 100 lb wife

Dust

Nov 24, 2008
Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
I am on a spending spree buying guns this year, and wanted to see about some suggestions. I will probably have a 12 guage Mossberg 500, but wondering about gauge and size for the wife. I don't know if she can handle a 12gauge from the hip. Anyone have a wife of similar size that can swing a 12?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
I don't know if she can handle a 12gauge from the hip.
If she plans on shooting from the hip in a defensive situation, make sure she practices hip shooting...a lot. At close range, even bird shot doesn't have much of a spread. For the un-trained, hip shooting is akin to "spray and pray"...or even worse.

I'd agree on from the shoulder rather than from the hip as well. I've read great feedback on the Knox stocks for recoil reduction. I'm more of an 870 guy with no Mossberg experience but another add-on alternative for recoil absorbtion might be a Hogue Youth stock with 13" LOP + a Limbsaver recoil pad. The Hogue stock already has a built-in pad that works well but you can then test with either 13" or 14" LOP.

NOTE: Some people have knocked themselves in the eye socket with their thumb knuckle using just the 13" stock. Test for fit first to see if the face it too close to the thumb. :-)

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
I agree that the 20 is deadly, but there isn't as much a variety ammo for the 20 as there is the 12.

Top Bottom