• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dust

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Mito, Japan/Georgetown, Texas
    I am on a spending spree buying guns this year, and wanted to see about some suggestions. I will probably have a 12 guage Mossberg 500, but wondering about gauge and size for the wife. I don't know if she can handle a 12gauge from the hip. Anyone have a wife of similar size that can swing a 12?
    Guns International

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't know if she can handle a 12gauge from the hip.

If she plans on shooting from the hip in a defensive situation, make sure she practices hip shooting...a lot. At close range, even bird shot doesn't have much of a spread. For the un-trained, hip shooting is akin to "spray and pray"...or even worse.

Warrior108

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd agree on from the shoulder rather than from the hip as well. I've read great feedback on the Knox stocks for recoil reduction. I'm more of an 870 guy with no Mossberg experience but another add-on alternative for recoil absorbtion might be a Hogue Youth stock with 13" LOP + a Limbsaver recoil pad. The Hogue stock already has a built-in pad that works well but you can then test with either 13" or 14" LOP.

NOTE: Some people have knocked themselves in the eye socket with their thumb knuckle using just the 13" stock. Test for fit first to see if the face it too close to the thumb. :-)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I agree that the 20 is deadly, but there isn't as much a variety ammo for the 20 as there is the 12.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    See if you can find her a 20 ga pump, my wife is 5 ft 2 and a 12
    is way to much for her.
    A 20 is just as deadly.
    Winchester 1300 Defender
    My fiance was shooting skeet with us on Sunday and got to try everything in 20 ga. My cousin's wife had pink camo mossberg youth/lady, (it shot really good BTW) and my cousin's old 870 wing master and my OLD single shot. She had a hard time with the hammer on the single but I haven't anyone yet that has called it light. I would look into the little mossberg my fiance loved it after she got used to the reciol of the synthetic stock, but short barrel short stock good for HD with a few OO buck!

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    20 gauge is very lethal gun, just underrated, overshadowed by the 12. Most guys use 20s for deer hunting with slugs but they can be very effective for home defense if you find the right ammo.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    All else fails on finding ammo you like you could always reload and use bb's instead of shot or I like bird shot cause it won't go through 2 layers of sheetrock and into another room.I reload bird loads with Greendot and it recoils very little

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    All else fails on finding ammo you like you could always reload and use bb's instead of shot or I like bird shot cause it won't go through 2 layers of sheetrock and into another room.I reload bird loads with Greendot and it recoils very little

That is for 20 gauge for 12 gauge I use Win. Superfeild or reddot those recoil more though.

cpf3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    870 "Youth"

Remington makes a "Youth" model that has a 1" shorter pull that the standard, that would probably fit her better. That gun in 20 gauge would be just about ideal for her.

Zen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    I'll say it right now, Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stocks are AWESOME.

My girl is that size and can fire my 12 ga. Mossberg 500A all day long - 2 3/4, 3" Mags, Slug, Buckshot - it doesn't faze her. She loves the thing. It's well worth the money.

Top Bottom