HD shotgun for 4'11" 100 lb wife

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Dust, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

I am on a spending spree buying guns this year, and wanted to see about some suggestions. I will probably have a 12 guage Mossberg 500, but wondering about gauge and size for the wife. I don't know if she can handle a 12gauge from the hip. Anyone have a wife of similar size that can swing a 12?

2. fuelfather

fuelfather Well-Known

Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Mossberg does make one with a muzzle break in pump w/pistol grip or semi-auto with full stock and pistol grip and muzzle break

3. TKG

TKG Active Member

Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    This + This = Perfect shotgun for her. :happy0001:

4. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If she plans on shooting from the hip in a defensive situation, make sure she practices hip shooting...a lot. At close range, even bird shot doesn't have much of a spread. For the un-trained, hip shooting is akin to "spray and pray"...or even worse.

5. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I'm sure she could handle a 12 guage with a Knoxx stock and low recoil loads.

6. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I don't know about the knoxx stocks, but low recoil loads of 00 buck should be fine for Her.
    and the low recoil buck shot tends to pattern better to :happy0001:

7. If she was to really need it the adrenaline would make shooting it a moot point. The most important thing is if the gun fits her, and she aint afraid of it.

8. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

See if you can find her a 20 ga pump, my wife is 5 ft 2 and a 12
    is way to much for her.
    A 20 is just as deadly.
    Winchester 1300 Defender

9. I'd agree on from the shoulder rather than from the hip as well. I've read great feedback on the Knox stocks for recoil reduction. I'm more of an 870 guy with no Mossberg experience but another add-on alternative for recoil absorbtion might be a Hogue Youth stock with 13" LOP + a Limbsaver recoil pad. The Hogue stock already has a built-in pad that works well but you can then test with either 13" or 14" LOP.

NOTE: Some people have knocked themselves in the eye socket with their thumb knuckle using just the 13" stock. Test for fit first to see if the face it too close to the thumb. :-)

10. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I agree that the 20 is deadly, but there isn't as much a variety ammo for the 20 as there is the 12.