• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I caught a couple minutes of a shooting show last night where the host was shooting various ammo through multiple wallboard panels to simulate what might happen in a HD situation. I didn't catch all of the specifics on bullet weights and types (need to go back to the DVR and watch it all), but unless I heard him wrong, the results indicated that both the 9mm and 45acp rounds were more lethal than a 55gr FMJ .223 round after passing through 3 simulated walls. The high velocity lightweight bullet started to tear up and lose energy sooner than the two handgun rounds.
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing - non-scientific, but still informative.

The short of it: if it's a load that's worthy of betting your life on (in other words, if it can pass the FBI penetration tests), it's going to go through multiple walls, period. If it won't go through walls in a normal home, it's not going to be worth a damn in a gun fight because it won't go through people, either.

Wallboard isn't much of a barrier. Put it this way: I (and I'm sure you can, too - it doesn't take much) can punch half-way through a wall, so long as I don't punch right on top of a stud, but I have never been able to punch someone hard enough to even come close to killing them.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I saw something on mythbusters where they fired different calibers into water.

basically, the faster the bullet, the shorter it traveled in water. A Barett didn't make it six inches, but a revolver (don't remember the load) went the most at a bit over a feet.

I don't remember the particulars, exactly, but I was supprised and nothing went more than three feet.. Water is great at stopping bullets, especially faster ones.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    My RWS air rifle will penetrate at least one layer of sheetrock at 10 ft. You have to be aware of what is behind your target.In a SD situation in your home, I bet you have already thought out how it might occur,not leaping out of bed and spraying and praying. Birdshot in your shotty will penetrate walls at a close range, not as much as 00. Just think about what you have to deal with in a close environment and be aware.
    I am sure there is someone out there with a .458 bolt gun that they inhereted (sic), loaded in their closet for home defense.

Be Safe and Be accurate.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Water is a pretty good barrier. It's fairly viscous.

Ever do a belly flop?

Nothing about viscosity, everything about incompressibility.

The light .223 rounds rely on velocity to do damage. The velocity causes alot of impact load and this makes the weakened bullet (purposely at the cannelure) fragment when it yaws. When you remove alot of it's velocity the round is about as lethal as a .22 LR since you've removed it's designed effectiveness.

Top Bottom