• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    simple. Don't use Glasers

EDIT: and don't shoot at the head unless you have to. Handguns may be "low power," but they have plenty of "power" to punch through a skull.

Right, that round is mentioned in the report specifically and it went with the information I received this weekend.

Yep, that’s what the report I listed suggests, aiming for center mass.

When you say “punch through a skull”, are you talking about a through and through bullet path or getting into the brain box?
    DK Firearms

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You are making statements based on the performance of 1986 ammo and glaser safety slugs?
    And…..recommendations from trainers that have attended autopsies, researched shooting reports & interviewed participants.

The Glaser safety slug is still sold as a defensive round and TX1911 couldn’t think of one so I offered it as one example.

The .38 special +p 158 gr. SWC rounds that were reported on are still offered. IIRC, the 9mm rounds were 9mm 115gr silvertips that are also still available.

Are there better rounds available today, you bet. That is partially due to what was learned through examining this incident.

All of your blah, blah aside, most folks would be lucky to strike the head at all, much less an eye socket.

Blah, Blah? I referenced an FBI report. I’m not saying it’s an easy shot. To clarify, I’m talking about an area approx. 3”x 5”.

And modern, defensive ammo is quite capable of penetrating the head.
    Maybe, it depends on the distance, bullet placement and power of the round.

So you believe a modern defensive round will penetrate the head no matter what the angle of impact is and penetrate into the brain or spine? And that the surface contour of the face, teeth, cheekbones, etc... cannot stop or deflect the handgun bullets?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And…..recommendations from trainers that have attended autopsies, researched shooting reports & interviewed participants.

The Glaser safety slug is still sold as a defensive round and TX1911 couldn’t think of one so I offered it as one example.

The .38 special +p 158 gr. SWC rounds that were reported on are still offered. IIRC, the 9mm rounds were 9mm 115gr silvertips that are also still available.

Are there better rounds available today, you bet. That is partially due to what was learned through examining this incident.

Blah, Blah? I referenced an FBI report. I’m not saying it’s an easy shot. To clarify, I’m talking about an area approx. 3”x 5”.

Maybe, it depends on the distance, bullet placement and power of the round.

So you believe a modern defensive round will penetrate the head no matter what the angle of impact is and penetrate into the brain or spine? And that the surface contour of the face, teeth, cheekbones, etc... cannot stop or deflect the handgun bullets?

I'll be real clear. No one trains to try to shoot a person in the eye. not even top snipers. The rest of it is just bullshit.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'll be real clear. No one trains to try to shoot a person in the eye. not even top snipers. The rest of it is just bullshit.

You are making statements based on a different context, snipers really ?

No one trains that way? Hmmm,... that's a broad generalization. I know Federal agents and private schools that train head shots that way.

You are clearly claiming:

FBI reports are BS.
    All head shots are equal value targets for incapacitation.
    All modern defensive ammo, .25 acp through .44 mag. can penetrate through and through a human head.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009

FBI reports are BS.
    All modern defensive ammo, .25 acp through .44 mag. can penetrate through and through a human head.

i'll buy that! all three infact!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You are making statements based on a different context, snipers really ?

No one trains that way? Hmmm,... that's a broad generalization. I know Federal agents and private schools that train head shots that way.

FBI reports are BS.

You clearly know I didn't write any of that. Good grief, your initial premise was wrong, and now you are just being argumentative and silly.

Top Bottom