Guns International

Heading to UT, ID, WY & MT...Firearm Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Wife and I are flying in and out of SLC for a little week-long getaway here in a few weeks. Driving up to MT and staying in the Kalispell area for the majority of our trip (been there before, LOVE IT!!), will be doing off-road SxS for at least a day (did that last year, so much fun!), probably hit Glacier Natl Park again, do some hiking, etc....wifey wants to hit "50 States by 50" so we've gotta hustle...hence flying in/out of SLC so we can get her in UT, ID & WY (new places for her)...so, the question....with a preface...looks like I'm "good to go" having my TX LTC for all the States listed (and it appears I don't even need a license for two of the States)...bringing a pistol is a very high possibility for me...mainly for 2-legged predators and the possible bear...haven't had issues before and hopefully will be A-OK this time too. Will definitely have at least one blade on me and most likely bear spray as well. So...the practicality of "what to carry" question arises? Unless I've forgotten about what I own, my larger pistol calibers are .357 Mag (full size snub S&W, Model 60?), .45 ACP (Kimber Compact Aluminum) and of course 9 mm (a few Glocks, of COURSE!!), along with a 5.7x28 Ruger 5-7 (yeah, probably leaving that at home)...I DO NOT own a .44 mag, .454 Casull or .500 S&W....but maybe I should?

So...thoughts, input, compliments, complaints or otherwise? Yeah, my pistol-grip 12 ga tactical shotgun with slugs is a thought...but I'm not carrying that everywhere! LOL!
    Hurley's Gold

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Theres a thread that has discussed this ad nasuem. Summary would be 44 mag, loaded with hard cast bullets, carried on chest rig or something more powerful. Def not a semi auto (long bear hair can jam the action).

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Being you don’t own a 44 mag bring the 357 with buffalo bore.

Looks like 19A (the OUTDOORSMAN) would be the way to go. Appreciate the tip!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Looks like 19A (the OUTDOORSMAN) would be the way to go. Appreciate the tip!

Just ordered 2 boxes of the 19A!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Wife and I are flying in and out of SLC for a little week-long getaway here in a few weeks. Driving up to MT and staying in the Kalispell area for the majority of our trip (been there before, LOVE IT!!), will be doing off-road SxS for at least a day (did that last year, so much fun!), probably hit Glacier Natl Park again, do some hiking, etc....wifey wants to hit "50 States by 50" so we've gotta hustle...hence flying in/out of SLC so we can get her in UT, ID & WY (new places for her)...so, the question....with a preface...looks like I'm "good to go" having my TX LTC for all the States listed (and it appears I don't even need a license for two of the States)...bringing a pistol is a very high possibility for me...mainly for 2-legged predators and the possible bear...haven't had issues before and hopefully will be A-OK this time too. Will definitely have at least one blade on me and most likely bear spray as well. So...the practicality of "what to carry" question arises? Unless I've forgotten about what I own, my larger pistol calibers are .357 Mag (full size snub S&W, Model 60?), .45 ACP (Kimber Compact Aluminum) and of course 9 mm (a few Glocks, of COURSE!!), along with a 5.7x28 Ruger 5-7 (yeah, probably leaving that at home)...I DO NOT own a .44 mag, .454 Casull or .500 S&W....but maybe I should?

So...thoughts, input, compliments, complaints or otherwise? Yeah, my pistol-grip 12 ga tactical shotgun with slugs is a thought...but I'm not carrying that everywhere! LOL!
    Great trip, be aware that while certainly legal to carry in National Parks, Federal buildings within parks DO NOT ALLOW firearms! Signs should be posted. Also state law rules , so if park is located in more than one state firearm rules could change depending were you are inside the park.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Coyote - appreciate the heads-up, not my first rodeo with guns, Natl Parks, etc…due diligence is always done…been carrying since at least 1996….

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom