Headphone Overkill

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
What is it with human beings that pushes us to go overboard on whatever we love? I love guns and freely admit I have too many.

I recently bought a new DAC, amp, and headphones. While researching my purchases, I found this picture. Once again, I realized that people often go way too far with their hobbies.

This guy likes headphones. No, this isn't a retail display. This is a personal collection. (NOT MINE!) Holy cow!

headphones_zpsdc9186f0.jpg

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Ben, what on God's green Earth do you do for a living??
I'm retired. Believe me, the headphones, amp, and DAC I bought, all added together, would cost less than a quarter of what that guy spent on those Audeze headphones (the wooden ones, top center).

Or did you mis-read my post and think that pic was of my collection? If so, then, well...I could only wish. ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
Sorry to interrupt, Ben your inbox is full. Thanks for the link though, I forgot about that thread.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
Jul 20, 2012
Friendswood
I'm retired. Believe me, the headphones, amp, and DAC I bought, all added together, would cost less than a quarter of what that guy spent on those Audeze headphones (the wooden ones, top center).

Or did you mis-read my post and think that pic was of my collection? If so, then, well...I could only wish. ;)
Ahhhhhh. Gotcha. Totes jelly

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
Believe me, the headphones, amp, and DAC I bought, all added together, would cost less than a quarter of what that guy spent on those Audeze headphones (the wooden ones, top center).
Holy Fuuuuuuuuu! $1800 for a pair of phones!!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Holy Fuuuuuuuuu! $1800 for a pair of phones!!!
Yeah, about that...

The MSRP on these suckers has recently been marked down by about $800: https://www.staxusa.com/stax-sr-009.html

Of course, they need a dedicated amp to run them and there are several on the market that cost roughly twice as much as those phones.

High end audio is stupidly expensive.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
I'd be interested at $950 but $1000 is too much. :p

Top Bottom