• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasjohnboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    North Texas
    The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act—H.R. 367— was filed last week in the House. This bill would remove suppressors from the NFA (READ: no $200 tax stamp, no 9month wait to get permission from the ATF to own one) and would refund the $200 tax stamps that were paid after 2015, IIRC. The bill currently has 68 cosponsors, and it needs more! Contact your rep and senators and urge them to support this bill.

Texas law may also need to be amended as to possess a suppressor in Texas it has to be registered with the ATF. If the registration was eliminated, there would be no way to register it. I'm not sure if there is a bill filed to fix this issue in Texas yet in the 85th Legislative Session.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...duncan-carter-hearing-protection-act-of-2017/

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367/cosponsors?pageSort=lastToFirst

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act/
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Why were *silencers* initially included under NFA control? I assume because of 'the mobs' use but I feel times have really changed and calling it the Hearing Protection Act makes sense to me, someone who suffers from tinnitus.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Why were *silencers* initially included under NFA control? I assume because of 'the mobs' use but I feel times have really changed and calling it the Hearing Protection Act makes sense to me, someone who suffers from tinnitus.
    I have read in a couple of places (on the internet) that suppressors were included as sort of an after thought, to prevent poachers from using them. Apparently a big problem during that time period.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Thanks Bozz. I'm a boring guy meaning I don't poach and never been in the mob.

roberthleeii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2016
    So what do we think the probability of this passing is andwhat do you think the time frame would be for it to go in to effect?

Eckolancer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    Plano
    Just bought a new kimber with threaded barrel and Can't wait for it to arrive. Just need to find a place to receive it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    MUST PASS. This is amazing.

I don't trust ANYTHING coming out of this administration prior to Trump taking the seat. There has got to be something in that bill that gets into either our rights or our pockets. Do not trust this one as it is way too big too.

Sir Flannel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    I for one am not feeling too confident with this. Has anyone seen the actual text of this bill? Library of congress doesn't have it yet, but what more does it need to say other than "the suppressor reference to the 1934GCA is repealed"? It's called "H.R.367 - To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns", so, a separate background check still for the suppressor? No way that could ever go wrong. Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic, but I'm still not all in for trusting politicians

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Unlikely that this would pass and make it to Trumps desk. I can see Ryan adding a defund abortion poison pill to it if it looks like it has momentum.

Government is NOT about giving up control. EVER.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    At this point, it APPEARS that the bill DOES "have legs". Timing was such as to ensure it wouldn't clear congress before Trump and the new congressional members take office.

Texas is also putting forward a bill that would remove any state law issues if the bill passes.

Keep your fingers crossed - and WRITE YOUR CONGRESS CRITTERS!!

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I for one am not feeling too confident with this. Has anyone seen the actual text of this bill? Library of congress doesn't have it yet, but what more does it need to say other than "the suppressor reference to the 1934GCA is repealed"? It's called "H.R.367 - To provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns", so, a separate background check still for the suppressor? No way that could ever go wrong. Perhaps I'm overly pessimistic, but I'm still not all in for trusting politicians

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/367

Top Bottom