• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Looking for recommendations on ears, muffs and plugs alike.

We usually us the orange foamies but this time around the shop only had the blue silicone things. Those are terrible. They're not that great and they hurt. We have ear muffs but they're currently all packed up in HHGs.

Thanks
    Texas SOT

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    Find fitted earplugs, you know the finned/ribbed? kind. I hate foamies, and I never did like the feel of muffs. But that's my personal preference.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I have used both, but lately have been using electronic muffs. I still preffer plugs for rifle or shotgun use as the cheekweld is easier. For outdoor use I have had decent luck with Surefire plugs. Just make sure youre not under a roof or anythng and they work well. You can even hear conversations. Not ideal of enclosed areas as they can be loud. For indoor I always double up.

Would love to try some of the fancy in ear canal electronics, just cant find the extra grand to spend LOL

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I usually fire off 150 to 200 rounds per range visit. Today, I went through quite a bit more. The cheapy ear muffs did wear on my ears after a while. I folded my dumbos in to ease it.

The RO's all wear squishy ear plugs.

SO, you want to factor in your shooting time.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have some Peltor Tactical Sport's. They were roughly ~$100-120. They do cost a bit but, personally I don't feel the need to get anything better. There are some extremely nice units like these out there from companies like MSA such as the Sordin Supreme Pro series. Those are much higher quality but cost over twice the price. While they would be neat, I don't feel like it's something I have to have compared to my Peltor's. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend these Peltors. The nice thing is, with the use of an adapter cable you can use either a standard 3.5mm audio plug or various other plugs so that you can use the headset with mp3 players, handheld radios, or pretty much anything else. Hmm, maybe I should do a review on these. Anyways, they are expensive, but well worth it if you can afford it. It makes for a much more pleasant range experience since you can adjust the low level sound amplication quite a bit to easily hear people talking. No more screaming WHAT? WHAT?!. ;)

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I remember back in 1980 or '81 something called the Sonitrol Earplug. It would allow normal conversation and at a sharp sound such as a gun's report, the little valves would close and cut off the sound. I never tried them so I don't know how well they work. Got some good feedback from some folks who did use them though.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I remember back in 1980 or '81 something called the Sonitrol Earplug. It would allow normal conversation and at a sharp sound such as a gun's report, the little valves would close and cut off the sound. I never tried them so I don't know how well they work. Got some good feedback from some folks who did use them though.

That is how the Surefire plugs work. They are relatively effective when youre in the field, but as soon as you get under any kind of hard cover, even a car port the noise level goes up painfully quick. I have used them for 22, 9mm, 45, 223 and 308.

If you like muffs, Academy has a set of electronic muffs for $27 that are NRR 29 rated. No name brand but at $27 its worth a risk.

Top Bottom