Capitol Armory ad

Heat Advisory! How to Prevent Heat Exhaustion, or Stroke.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We were talking about this on another thread, and I thought maybe it deserved it's own dedicated thread to discuss it and to maybe help others in preventing it from happening to them.

Keeping hydrated is one of the key factors IMO.
    I take potassium supplements every day during the summer, to combat muscle cramps from the loss of them from sweating. I also drink Gatorade as well as lots of water.
    I try to limit my outdoor activities during the hotter parts of the day as much as possible.
    One trick I use for muscle cramps, is dill pickle juice.
    I try to wear looser fitting clothing if possible.

But even all that, it can still sneak up on you. I think the older we get, the easier it can affect us, or the faster it can bring us down. I think higher humidity also aggravates the effects of how heat affects us.

Tips, suggestions or advice for other?
    Hurley's Gold

mnpshooter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Centex
    Not just potassium. Your body also needs sodium. You must drink plenty of water daily not just when your out in the heat. You should be aiming to always have a light yellow urine color. I also recommend watering down Gatorade and the like, they are too heavy with sugar and most of the good stuff doesn’t get absorbed. I do 50-50 water to full strength Gatorade/Powerade. You have to be especially cautious with younger children because they do not have the fluid reserves and an adult has. Children will look fine and tell you they feel fine and then all of a sudden off a cliff and be in serious trouble. I have both had heat stroke and treated many patients with it.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Never really cared for Gatorade. I would drink one but would rather drink water. Mineral water aint bad for coke addicts to get their fix on. Energy drinks are another bad idea, as are coffee & tea. Cafine is a diuretic! Lots of perscriptions drugs are bad for sun exposure & heat.

Cold wet towels on the neck are good! Cooling the carotid artery works.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not just potassium. Your body also needs sodium. You must drink plenty of water daily not just when your out in the heat. You should be aiming to always have a light yellow urine color. I also recommend watering down Gatorade and the like, they are too heavy with sugar and most of the good stuff doesn’t get absorbed. I do 50-50 water to full strength Gatorade/Powerade. You have to be especially cautious with younger children because they do not have the fluid reserves and an adult has. Children will look fine and tell you they feel fine and then all of a sudden off a cliff and be in serious trouble. I have both had heat stroke and treated many patients with it.

I consume a lot of salt with my food! But, I do like a salty flavor! But yes, sodium is important as well.

I don't normally do "diet" drinks, but did switch to the Gatorade Zero since it's sugar free. I mix mine 50/50 with Sprite!

The color and frequency of your urine can be a good indicator of whether your water intake is sufficient.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Water,water,water!!! Particularly room temperature water. Ice water may be nice but when it’s 110° and you’re scorched. Freezing water doesn’t feel great on the stomach.
    To prevent muscle fatigue, I would exercise 5-6 times a week usually. Harder to fatigue a strong muscle...
    Take frequent breaks in the shade too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ve heard you should limit sports drinks (Gatorade and such) to a minimum. Maybe have one, but the rest being water. So many people only drink Gatorade without and water

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    How to prevent heat injuries hasn’t changed since the beginning of time. Once you get to the point of a heat injury, you’re baking yourself from the inside out. Hydration and electrolytes can help the cooling process, but if the sweat can’t evaporate due to the relative humidity of the air around you. That adds a steam bath to the baking process.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I’ve heard you should limit sports drinks (Gatorade and such) to a minimum. Maybe have one, but the rest being water. So many people only drink Gatorade without and water

I think you shouldn't rely on one or the other. Gatorade and other such drinks help replace sodium, potassium and other essential things the body needs, that water alone can't replenish. But, you need the water as well. IMO, both are needed, but water is the primary.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I think you shouldn't rely on one or the other. Gatorade and other such drinks help replace sodium, potassium and other essential things the body needs, that water alone can't replenish. But, you need the water as well. IMO, both are needed, but water is the primary.

I guess you can look at it as if Gatorade was a “pill”. Take it, but drink a lot of water along with it

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I heard something pretty ridiculous the other day. I have a family member who works in Lubbock ISD. With all the covid crap going on they’re turning off all water fountains and can’t give out water either. Even in band and sports practice they can’t give out water!!
    Looking back on my days in football in Houston. It’d be 100° with 80% humidity wearing all the pads. If you didn’t drink water, you could literally die.

I was really good about drinking 2-3 liters a day before this pandemic. Bought one of those 48oz nalgenes at REI. Feels good to be hydrated daily

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I heard something pretty ridiculous the other day. I have a family member who works in Lubbock ISD. With all the covid crap going on they’re turning off all water fountains and can’t give out water either. Even in band and sports practice they can’t give out water!!
    Looking back on my days in football in Houston. It’d be 100° with 80% humidity wearing all the pads. If you didn’t drink water, you could literally die.

I was really good about drinking 2-3 liters a day before this pandemic. Bought one of those 48oz nalgenes at REI. Feels good to be hydrated daily

WTF! Are they stupid? I guess when they kill a few kids from heat exhaustion or stroke, maybe they will realise just how stupid that idea is!

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    WTF! Are they stupid? I guess when they kill a few kids from heat exhaustion or stroke, maybe they will realise just how stupid that idea is!

Believe me, I flipped out when I heard that. It’s unbelievable. The teachers can’t touch ANYTHING intended to be consumed by the kids. Can’t hand out bottled water, can’t share bottles they have themselves, kids can’t share amongst each other either

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Believe me, I flipped out when I heard that. It’s unbelievable. The teachers can’t touch ANYTHING intended to be consumed by the kids. Can’t hand out bottled water, can’t share bottles they have themselves, kids can’t share amongst each other either

Unbelievable! Seems like the smarter course of action would be to cancel the band and sports, rather than putting the kids in danger. At least postpone those activities until the weather cools off.

I know if I was a parent, my children would be pulled from such activities and I'd be raising hell with the school board!

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Unbelievable! Seems like the smarter course of action would be to cancel the band and sports, rather than putting the kids in danger. At least postpone those activities until the weather cools off.

I know if I was a parent, my children would be pulled from such activities and I'd be raising hell with the school board!

You could bet that if one kid got dehydrated or passed out. The district would get sued out the a$$

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Water, water and water as said. Never have used anything but water. Don’t forget your dogs either, I’ve had to treat two dogs for heat stroke. Ice the femoral, biracial and carotid arteries but not the head.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Water, water and water as said. Never have used anything but water. Don’t forget your dogs either, I’ve had to treat two dogs for heat stroke. Ice the femoral, biracial and carotid arteries but not the head.

Don’t forget about their paws on hot ground. Took my dog hiking at lost maples SP 5 years ago in mid summer. His paws blistered up and peeled. Had to carry him down the mountain

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Cut the grass yesterday, weather app on my phone said 97 degrees. Honestly didn't feel bad at all, because I went out after the sun dipped down a bit. The air temp really isn't so hard on you, without the sun directly heating you up.

Top Bottom