Patriot Mobile

Heat Sources - Wood, Kerosene, Propane, LP Gas Electric, Etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    A topic I've been thinking about for a while here in Wisconsin. We've not gotten any heavy snow but flurries started off and on before Halloween. Now it seems with the colder weather there in TX in some parts of the state it'd be good to start the topic.

I have a 500 gallon propane tank that runs a central unit and a more fireplace like unit in the basement.

Electricity is cheaper than propane right now so I got 4 electric heaters for the bedrooms.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-6405-De...id=1385046823&sr=8-32&keywords=Lasko+Electric

Upstares is SOL if the electric goes out so I'm backing that up with some Kerosene heaters.

I found an antique kerosene heater and kerosene from the pump for $4.22 a gallon. Another source could be k1 jet fuel from a small airport.

Searching Craigslist I've also found three more modern heaters and purchased another antique off ebay. I found two 5 gallon blue kerosene cans for free and a nice metal 5 gallon for $10.00.

Some of these were $3.00 each and with a bit of neglect on them. I'm fixing them up for any church members or neighbors who may be short wood this year.

Kerosene Heaters is a great link about heaters and the brand\types recomeneded.

Note, smaller heaters placed throughout the house are much better at heating than one large one.

The older heater I found before cleanup. I've found these older ones more classy\styleish than the newer ones.
    5lbo.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Matefrio,
    what rate per kwh are you paying there?
    Do you happen to know the source of generation? Hydro perhaps?

Good on ya for thinking through this beforehand.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Seems the kwh charges there are very close to the charges here.
    Kerosene is grossly overpriced here, and the odors cause headaches for some.
    Burning wood can have allergy issues. (My oldest had a dr visit every time I built a fire)

I find propane or nat gas to be most efficient and user friendly.
    Vent free gas logs in the fireplace and a closed flue keep us comfortable during extended cold spells, even during power outages.
    Just keep all interior doors open.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Once burning the smell from a Kerosene heater is much better even non existent for me. Ignition time it runs rich and on shutdown there is a slight odor. If there is real sensitivity a catalytic converter screen can be found and placed over the top to help.

Lighting the heater outside and after warming up bring it in helps a bunch. A new heater or the first burn of the season should always be run outdoors till there is very little or no odor.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Cost is one thing; efficiency is another. Burning fuel results in direct translation of the Btu content to heat. Electric heaters are not always as efficient as we'd like to think.

Of course, these little heaters do pose a danger from carbon monoxide that you won't find with electric heat or (better yet) central heat.

Top Bottom