Lynx Defense

Heating With Wood Thread - Another homestead mouth to feed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Here's a review of the leveraxe. Watch the accident at 9:30 with a traditional axe. That's his sister BTW. At over $200 I'm not ever going to invest in one.

Fishhooker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Alvarado
    Rather than the fancy gadgets, all you really need is an axe, a splitting maul, a short handled (16 inch or so) sledge, and a splitting wedge.

The axe is light and easy to swing. Use it for splitting soft woods and splintering kindling. The maul is for hard wood, and really knotty old pine. When the maul doesn't work use a diamond shaped splitting wedge and the sledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Collins-Splitting-Wedge-Diamond-Shape/dp/B000QTMT7W

You will eventually get into a log that is too tough and the wedge with get buried deep enough that you can no longer hit it with the sledge. You've got 2 ways to address this: flip the log over and use another wedge from the other end, or use a piece of steel bar to reach down to the buried wedge. This method sucks, and is usually what you do with a particularly stubborn log after getting 2 wedges stuck.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    That sounds like a lot of tools Fishhooker, maybe $200 worth? ;)

Here's a review of the leveraxe. Watch the accident at 9:30 with a traditional axe. That's his sister BTW. At over $200 I'm not ever going to invest in one.
    I saw no accidents with the Leveraxe. lol
    I have no affiliation with them and I don't care if you do or don't buy one. :)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    http://www.leveraxe.com/en/
    I'm sure it works great on all that soft wood they have up north. That ain't gonna work on Texas oak.

My preferred method of splitting is with a thick wedge and sledge hammer. Not quite as quick as with a splitting maul because you have to take time to position the wedge, but it sure is a lot easier. If I had to do it to actually stay warm in the winter I'd buy a powered log splitter.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm sure it works great on all that soft wood they have up north. That ain't gonna work on Texas oak.

My preferred method of splitting is with a thick wedge and sledge hammer. Not quite as quick as with a splitting maul because you have to take time to position the wedge, but it sure is a lot easier. If I had to do it to actually stay warm in the winter I'd buy a powered log splitter.

Off season I'm going to keep an eye on the local sales for a hydraulic used splitter. Hopefully I can get a fixer upper for cheap. They really are simple machines.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom