• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Hello from far north Dallas!

I got into the shooting sports growing up in rural Louisiana. Went to college, got a job, and now I have more money to fund my habit :).

I mostly buy H&K weapons, pistols, SMG's, etc. I'm waiting for their civilian version of the M4/M16 clone, if that ever happens, otherwise I'll have to go the POF route I guess, if they try to enact the ban again.

I'm a little annoyed by available of ranges up here (Frisco area), after the Little Elm and McKinney outdoor ranges closed, it's either go to the outdoor range in Greenville or the indoor place in Plano.

Also, if you live near Bass Pro Shops by the DFW airport, I highly suggest their shooting range, it's very nice, and surprisingly cheap.
    DK Firearms

bonehead1185

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos/Lake Dallas, Tx
    I know how you feel. I have used the Bass Pro shooting range once and I loved it. The other place I use is the Bullet Trap, but its about a 30 minute drive for me so I don't go often. I found this map on the texaschlforum a couple of weeks ago. I hope the other guy won't get mad that I am sharing it. It shows alot of ranges for the state of texas and where they are located.

http://sites.google.com/site/txgunrange/Home/TexasGuns.kmz?attredirects=0 - Google Maps

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Hey now, from someone that lived for several years in Far North Dallas, Frisco isn't it. :p Far North Dallas is, well, in Dallas, up far north surrounded by Plano, Carrollton, Richardson and Addison.

Welcome!

jimmy-buffett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    The other place I use is the Bullet Trap, but its about a 30 minute drive for me so I don't go often.

I got my CHL at Bullet Trap, in fact it's about 5 minutes from where I work, but I live about 30 miles from where I work, so...

My main complaint with Bullet Trap, and where I think Bass Pro shines as an indoor range, is that it's hard to properly ventilate the place. Pull in too much fresh air to get rid of combustion gases and it's hard to keep the place cool. Focus on keeping the place cool and it's hard to keep the air clean.

I don't know how they did it, but Bass Pro does a pretty good job of both air conditioning and ventilation. I'm guessing it's that they represent a monster huge company and have a big fancy building...

And sorry, yes I'm not in "north Dallas", I'm in the far north reaches of the metro area :). Almost closer to Oklahoma than downtown...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Welcome. Gotta love those HK's . The Germans really know how to make a fine pistol.

I agree with you, we really need more ranges. Over in my part of town I go to BassPro now and again, and Alpine (south FW) for outdoor and rifle. I also go to "The Shooters Club" off of 35 on 28th st. Kind of in the "Hood" and a little run down, but the guy that owns it is a Tarrant County officer, and a lot of LEO's go there. Cheap and there is never a wait. Got my CHL there. There is supposed to be a range opening in Roanoke, but that's been going of for two years.. we'll see.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Welcome from another new member jimmy-buffett.

There is the Garland outdoor range and the DFW range on Mockingbird, but you are fair piece from those.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    And sorry, yes I'm not in "north Dallas", I'm in the far north reaches of the metro area :). Almost closer to Oklahoma than downtown...

Ya I was just messing with you. A long time friend has lived out there since the Plantation was new. We used to hit golf balls out into a field from his back yard. He's since moved tot eh west side of Frisco in a 2x the house and I get lost out there anywhere. When I first moved up here in '85, I used to ride my bike out there when I'd have to watch if I met a car on the Dallas Parkway north of 121. It was barely 1 lane wide. It was great riding all over out there with no one anywhere to be seen. I even laid it down once out there and wondered if I got really hurt, how long before someone would find me. You couldn't carry a 60 pound cell phone on a bike and I couldn't afford a $4500 cell phone.

Things sure have changed!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom