• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnOfSuburbia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Flower Mound, TX
    Hi, I'm a fairly new gun owner and CHL applicant from Flower Mound (DFW area), and I shoot over at Greybeard's range. I like sigs, piňa coladas, and long, meaningful moonlight lurks in forum (I don't pipe up much).

I think I have pretty good accuracy (and getting better), and I'm reading online and in RL for greater competence in law and safety for home and handling.

I stumbled in from The Firing Line.

JohnOfSuburbia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Flower Mound, TX
    Thanks, guys!

Greybeard's range is out Copper Canyon road from FM 407 - his website is here.

If you want to visit, make sure to read his directions - the range is on one side of a sharp "S"-curve and the trees and hill are close on the bottom side.

I've also shot at the Bass Pro shops at Grapevine Mills - which might be nice if we wanted to get a group together to chat or go to a range. For myself and my dad, Greybeard's place is a little better and beats Bass Pro's prices.

I hear there's a range out FM 1171 past IH-35W, but I didn't look into it much, and until they're done tearing it up back there it'll be a hassle to get through, not to mention a speed trap.

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    Howdy. Another Flower Moundite here. That don't sound right either.
    Let's see. Flower Moundian. Pretty much nothing sounds right. I'll have to check out that range. Once I find a job that is.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Thanks, guys!

If you want to visit, make sure to read his directions - the range is on one side of a sharp "S"-curve and the trees and hill are close on the bottom side.

I've also shot at the Bass Pro shops at Grapevine Mills - which might be nice if we wanted to get a group together to chat or go to a range. For myself and my dad, Greybeard's place is a little better and beats Bass Pro's prices.

I hear there's a range out FM 1171 past IH-35W, but I didn't look into it much, and until they're done tearing it up back there it'll be a hassle to get through, not to mention a speed trap.

Oh ok. I know where you're talking about, just never heard it referred to as Greybeard's. I assume that's the owner? Don't remember his name but there was an article in on of the papers about him recently. I was going to take my CHL there a few years ago but didn't. Is it hard to get a lane usually? If I recall, it's kind of small?

I've always gotten a kick out of the signs in his parking lot.

I usually go to Quail Ridge (or is it Creek?) which is OK for just having 1 berm to shoot in to and 2 second count between shots and no carrying unless you're LEO and so on. Kinda tight on the rules but during the week it's usually not crowded that bad so it's OK and closer than Elm Fork.

I haven't and don't really have any desire to shoot at Bass Pro. I've heard it's really nice, but it's Bass Pro.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Thanks, guys!

I've read about that range as well, and was wondering, with only two lanes, how much of a PIA it would be on week ends or evenings.

Quail Creek as JKTex mentioned is on 35W just north (5-8 miles) of TMS. I guess it would be okay during the week, but the two times I went on a week end it was a zoo. Shoulder to shoulder shooting, and the RO's are a big PIA.

You should look into shooting with our group at Elm Fork. Very nice range. Our next meet is the 26th at 10 am.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've read about that range as well, and was wondering, with only two lanes, how much of a PIA it would be on week ends or evenings.

Quail Creek as JKTex mentioned is on 35W just north (5-8 miles) of TMS. I guess it would be okay during the week, but the two times I went on a week end it was a zoo. Shoulder to shoulder shooting, and the RO's are a big PIA.

You should look into shooting with our group at Elm Fork. Very nice range. Our next meet is the 26th at 10 am.

Yep, weekdays are much better! I went on a Friday 1 time. "1" time and that's it. I can't imagine a weekend.

It's only 6-8 miles straight down 1171 for us. Easy to get to but has it's nuances...not all positive as you also pointed out.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    Greetings from around the corner. My daughter and I shoot over at DCSA. I'd be shooting more often if .380 was not like a precious metal.

Regards,

Jeff B.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom