Hello from Houston never owned a gun and thinking of buying my first... just have one question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...expunged...
    Q: Can you provide a source? I ask because most federal agencies don’t recognize expungement. More than a few administrative law cases clearly cite federal agencies have access to anything that was ever populated in NCIC. While I haven’t done any research on BATFE admin law, I see complications from the mindset that feds can’t see an expungement come up in FAA cases a lot.

Pardons and civil rights restoration are an entirely different thing.
    ARJ Defense ad

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Q: Can you provide a source? I ask because most federal agencies don’t recognize expungement. More than a few administrative law cases clearly cite federal agencies have access to anything that was ever populated in NCIC. While I haven’t done any research on BATFE admin law, I see complications from the mindset that feds can’t see an expungement come up in FAA cases a lot.

Pardons and civil rights restoration are an entirely different thing.

When I wrote expunge I meant by a judge who sets the conviction aside, as opposed to a pardon where the Gov or POTUS sets it aside. I did not mean expunge in the hidden or sealed from public sense.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When I wrote expunge I meant by a judge who sets the conviction aside, as opposed to a pardon where the Gov or POTUS sets it aside. I did not mean expunge in the hidden or sealed from public sense.

I get that, but expungement is a state concept that the feds don’t recognize.

ETA: I should say most fed agencies. Why that is important is that there are prohibitions at both the fed and state level. Also, having a conviction set aside is different than an expungement.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The feds do not recognize when a state judge overturns a conviction???? Of course they do.

No, they don’t. Just an example, See III., Expungement, sealing & other record relief

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    1620523690176.png

1620523808049.png

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well you are wrong.

AFAIK, every jurisdiction in the USA recognizes an overturned conviction.

An expungement is not an overturned conviction. The specific application of expungement re: firearms applies to the definition of what is a crime punishable by more than one year in prison. See 18 USC 921 a20. Many states do not restore firearms rights automatically, even thru expungement.

In the OPs case, if his conviction was punishable by more than a year in prison, then the prohibition applies unless the OP has relief thru the convicting jurisdiction.

For example, if the OPs conviction occurred in Tennessee, where evading arrest is a felony, OP is now a convicted felon. Tennessee says felons may not possess a firearm without pardon or petition. So OP moves to Texas. OP is still a convicted felon, so the five year rule in Texas applies and OP could possess in the home, but not carry. OP doesn’t like this, so he applies to TN for expungement only to find out TN does not restore firearms rights with expungement and NICS does not erase the felony report. OP would need a TN pardon or judicial certificate or restoration to have firearms rights restores.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    An expungement is not an overturned conviction.

I never said it was. I said "overturned conviction" Twice. Not sure how you got expungement from that.

I wrote:

The feds do not recognize when a state judge overturns a conviction???? Of course they do.

You wrote:

No, they don’t.

I wrote:

Well you are wrong.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I never said it was. I said "overturned conviction" Twice. Not sure how you got expungement from that.

I wrote:

You wrote:

No, they don’t.

I wrote:

Well you are wrong.

Look at again at what you wrote, then later clarified.

The critical factor is how long could you have sentenced. hence why I asked what the maximum penalty was.

Once you become a prohibited person, yes that is for life unless you get it expunged or pardoned.

Top Bottom