Patriot Mobile

Hello from Houston never owned a gun and thinking of buying my first... just have one question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Howdy & welocme to TGT.

Pay a gun lawyer a couple hundred & get the correct advise. It'd be worth it. Or just go to Academy & try to by a cheap pistol & have them do a 4473....FBI check. If it comes out clean, you're good. If not, then you saved the $ to pay the lawyer.
    The 4473 specifically asks if you have ever had a felony. If he answers yes, then it's an automatic failed background check. If he answers no but has a felony on his record, then he just committed a second felony.

It's best to find out what exactly he was convicted of (felony or misdemeanor), talk to a lawyer, and get his record expunged if needed before he tries to buy a gun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Technically and legally, Maverick is correct on this. But reality is, EZE is also correct, as very, very few cases are even ever prosecuted on these types of crimes. More that likely, the store, just wouldn't sell them a gun and toss the 4473 into the garbage.

But, here comes the rub, what if he just happens to be the one that Mr. Murphy decides needs his day turned to shit? And he get arrested and prosecuted? It could happen.

Also, he knows he committed a felony many years ago, so IMO, that is enough of a concern to seek out an attorney and find out exactly where he stands legally in regards to being about to purchase, and possess a firearm.
    Capitol Armory ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Technically and legally, Maverick is correct on this. But reality is, EZE is also correct, as very, very few cases are even ever prosecuted on these types of crimes. More that likely, the store, just wouldn't sell them a gun and toss the 4473 into the garbage.

But, here comes the rub, what if he just happens to be the one that Mr. Murphy decides needs his day turned to shit? And he get arrested and prosecuted? It could happen.

Also, he knows he committed a felony many years ago, so IMO, that is enough of a concern to seek out an attorney and find out exactly where he stands legally in regards to being about to purchase, and possess a firearm.

Exactly. The possibility of it biting him in the ass is low, but not zero. Looking though his criminal record and possibly talking to a lawyer would be enough for him to figure out if he has a felony or not, and if he does, he has a good chance of getting it expunged due to how long ago it was and the nature of the crime.

If he gets busted for trying to buy a gun with a felony on his record, then he's pretty much screwed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Exactly. The possibility of it biting him in the ass is low, but not zero. Looking though his criminal record and possibly talking to a lawyer would be enough for him to figure out if he has a felony or not, and if he does, he has a good chance of getting it expunged due to how long ago it was and the nature of the crime.

If he gets busted for trying to buy a gun with a felony on his record, then he's pretty much screwed.

Exactly my point. Risk is very low, but still it could happen. IMO gambling on something this potentially risky is just not worth it IMO. And if he did get popped, any chance he could have gotten it expunged, is long gone then.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    This morning I was reading the news and stumbled on this article:

And considering the pandemic (could get crazy riots perhaps) I was thinking of purchasing my first gun but, If I may ask this question here in the intro section) back in high school I did an evading arrest (about 20 years ago) which was considered a felony. I've never gotten in to any trouble ever since... I am actually a very nice reserved guy. To give a little details regarding the run, it was because I had gotten in to a fight with my girlfriend that day. While goind home the officer pulled me over because I ran a stop sing which I know I did not... so like and idiot (I was already fuming) I ran... that's all.

I will appreciate any info thanks.

Were you convicted on that felony charge? If so you will not be able to purchase a firearm from an FFL. If you were not convicted you should be able to purchase a firearm unless you are ineligible for other reasons.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Just a brief search on the internet, Texas Law Shield is not exactly held in high regard.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas

Just a brief search on the internet, Texas Law Shield is not exactly held in high regard.
    Their book "Texas Gun Law: Armed and Educated" is very good.
    Amazon product ASIN 1733343296

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX

We do not throw away 4473's!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Howdy & welocme to TGT.

Pay a gun lawyer a couple hundred & get the correct advise. It'd be worth it. Or just go to Academy & try to by a cheap pistol & have them do a 4473....FBI check. If it comes out clean, you're good. If not, then you saved the $ to pay the lawyer.
    Unless he is the one case in a million they decide to prosecute for that.
    As another poster asked, was he convicted of the felony, or was it reduced to something else. A lawyer is the most sound advice.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Or just go to Academy & try to by a cheap pistol & have them do a 4473....FBI check. If it comes out clean, you're good. If not, then you saved the $ to pay the lawyer.

If he answers NO & passes .... then he don't have the felony on his record & is good to go. If he answers NO & comes back felony, then they don't sell him a gun.

More that likely, the store, just wouldn't sell them a gun and toss the 4473 into the garbage.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the majority of Form 4473's being filed electronically now?

ROFL

Let's not have Renegade offer expert advice or opinion, it will interfere with our 4 pages of wrong opinions and guesses and speculations, most of which involve committing more Federal Felonies.

Maverick44 - the only voice of sanity....

axxe55 - the George Costanza of the internet. If he would just do the opposite, he would be be right more than he is wrong.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    ROFL

Let's not have Renegade offer expert advice or opinion, it will interfere with our 4 pages of wrong opinions and guesses and speculations, most of which involve committing more Federal Felonies.

Maverick44 - the only voice of sanity....

axxe55 - the George Costanza of the internet. If he would just do the opposite, he would be be right more than he is wrong.

You just seem like you make the extra effort to go out of your way to see just how much a jerk you can be.

BTW, aren't there some ambulances you should be chasing?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Wouldn’t a back ground check show the felony? I see adverts online all the time for those services. Or, would LE be able to run the DL for a history? I don’t know which is why I’m asking..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom