Hello from MA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jrob24, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jrob24

jrob24 New Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Hello there,
    My name's Jason. I've owned guns for 11 years and favor modern pistols/revolvers. Rifle's are good but I seldom shoot past 50 yards, so I only own two and the 10/22 gets the most use.

The main reason I joined this forum is because I want to move out of Massachusetts next year and my research so far is making me lean towards Texas. I'm seeking more freedom, warmer weather and lower cost of living, and want to get away from a state dominated by anti-gun, nanny staters.

I'd like to learn more about what each region of Texas is like from those who live there. Especially about the local culture. There are some very predjudiced anti southerner stereotypes in the northeast, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but being fairly ignorant about Texan culture myself, and having no info yet to go against the stereotypes I've heard. I want to know how I'd be probably be treated by the locals considering I'm a northerner and non-christian. Bear in mind that I would not be trying to make Texas like Massachusetts and I like to get along with others as much as possible. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Hi and welcome.

I've been living in the Houston area since 85 (originally from Minnesota) and I'll give you an insight as to what it's like here. This is a very diverse city from a cultural, racial/ethnic, religious, and linguistic standpoint. You will find anybody and everybody here in Houston and every type of restaurant there is. The politics are for the most part liberal and Democrat and unfortunately anti-gun. Fortunately, state preemption laws prevent locals from passing their own gun control measures. Being a northerner and a non-christian won't cause you any problems here in Houston.

The summers here are brutal and it's not so much the heat but the humidity but the winters are nice. The traffic here sucks and we don't have as good a public transportation system as other cities in the country so not having your own car will be a huge inconvenience.

As for the stereotypes, I'm not sure what stereotypes you're referring to but if I'm guessing correctly it's some stereotype about some rabid, racist, gun toting, uneducated, hillbilly accent, NASCAR watching, redneck dumbass, living in a trailer park. No you won't see that kind of shit in Houston.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  3. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    welcome from mckinney, which is just north of dallas. lived here all my life. Been shooting since i was 8 or 9. Been around guns all my life and have raised my kids the same . All parts of texas are different, and all have their good points and bad points.summers are hot but you get used to them. Drivers freak out in the winter here. We have no state income tax here and we like it that way. come on down
  4. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    Freedom, and liberty. That's what we are about. As a whole. If you love, and cherish those things, pack your bags. We'll leave a light on for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  5. itsawondertoo

itsawondertoo Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!

Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Welcome! I live in Houston and Twinglocks said it well ^^^ so there is no cause for me to repeat...While I was conceived at Fort Bliss, I didn't live in Texas until I got out of the Corps in '94 and I am not living anywhere else although I do like to visit the rest of the world on vacations...
  6. itchin

itchin TGT Addict

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Its been my experience that the northerners are the ignorant racists.
  7. Ricklovesbacon

Ricklovesbacon TGT Addict

Feb 2, 2013
    Welcome I'm from Chicago. Living in Austin. You will find Texas very welcoming. Every one is friendly.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.
  8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

It is hot in Texas 9 months of the year. Very hot. We KNOW it is hot.
    Don't biotch about it like every other yankee that moves here. Like anyone can do anything about it.
    Go inside with the A/C.
  9. Mikeinhistory

Mikeinhistory Well-Known

Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello jrob24 and welcome. I just moved to Austin from Boston almost two years ago. Before Boston I lived in Los Angeles, and before that I lived in New York. Personally, despite the "hipster" culture and the general tendency for "real" Texans to bash Austin, I do not mind it. In comparison to where I have lived it is extremely affordable. As far as culture, here in Austin, UT and the students influence a lot of the city along with other personalities that are probably familiar to someone from a place like Mass. Despite the mild annoyances this causes, I think most people I have met do not fall to far into the "right" or "left" politically. I was raised Catholic, even had nuns teaching me until High School, but I would describe myself as agnostic. There are plenty of people who cite their religion as the guide to their other beliefs, and I have met a few people who I have thought, "Okay we are not going to see eye to eye", but I haven't had anyone judge me or try to push it down my throat.

One thing I immediately noticed, Texas is one of the most environmentally conscientious states I have lived in. I know here in Austin a lot of people have beef with the LCRA for releasing water to the farmers in the south, but it is nothing compared to the mismanagement to land that I saw in California.
  10. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Rick you think Chicago or Austin is friendlier? I know Austin is WAY less violent.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013