• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    What do you do for a living? How do you like to spend your weekends? Kids? Retirement? The answers to these questions may influence what part of Texas is for you. While Austin is technically IN the Hill Country, it is NOT the Hill Country. While Austin is a great place to work (technology, manufacturing, education) the Hill Country is a great place to vacation/retire (scenery, hunting, rivers). Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso are similar — much to do (jobs, entertainment, shopping) but I wouldn't want to live near that many people or send my kids to schools that big. Texas has big cities and the mentality that generally comes with those big cities. We have larger cities that still have a small-town feel (Georgetown & Waco). We have smaller cities & towns. We have country and then we have waaaaaaay the "F" out there. There's deserts, mountains, hills, marshland, plains, forests, big game, fishing, hogs, fishing lakes, recreation lakes, camping, racing (even the un-NASCAR variety), rodeo... I could go on. Whatever blows your skirt up, I'm sure you'll find it in Texas. Texas: the last place red-blooded Americans can still be red-blooded Americans.
    Guns International

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The traffic here sucks and the we don't have as good a public transportation system as other cities in the country so not having your own car will be a huge inconvenience.
    Agreed (I've lived in/around Houston since 1978) but with a proviso: If you can live and work within walking distance of a light rail station, Houston has almost everything you could ever want with no real need for a car. The biggest problems, from my perspective, of living dependent on the rail system are that floods shut it down and there's no shooting range accessible from it. You can get to all the gun shows you'd want to visit in a year by walking from a station but actual ranges are nonexistent.

I think I just identified a business opportunity for someone. ;)

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The welcome mat is out for everyone who buys in to the Texas Ethic: Leave me alone, don't screw with me.

Yankees might not know that we have five seasons down here: Spring, Summer, Super Summer, Football Summer, and occasionally, Fall.

Bagpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Haltom City, Tx
    Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find Texans are a lot like people everywhere--there's a bunch of good people hanging out in the Lone Star state and some others whose only worth is serving as a bad example.

jrob24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Hello jrob24 and welcome. I just moved to Austin from Boston almost two years ago. Before Boston I lived in Los Angeles, and before that I lived in New York. Personally, despite the "hipster" culture and the general tendency for "real" Texans to bash Austin, I do not mind it. In comparison to where I have lived it is extremely affordable. As far as culture, here in Austin, UT and the students influence a lot of the city along with other personalities that are probably familiar to someone from a place like Mass. Despite the mild annoyances this causes, I think most people I have met do not fall to far into the "right" or "left" politically. I was raised Catholic, even had nuns teaching me until High School, but I would describe myself as agnostic. There are plenty of people who cite their religion as the guide to their other beliefs, and I have met a few people who I have thought, "Okay we are not going to see eye to eye", but I haven't had anyone judge me or try to push it down my throat.

One thing I immediately noticed, Texas is one of the most environmentally conscientious states I have lived in. I know here in Austin a lot of people have beef with the LCRA for releasing water to the farmers in the south, but it is nothing compared to the mismanagement to land that I saw in California.

Thanks for your description of Austin. I'm looking for an area that is not dominated by liberals because I want my beliefs/vote to count for something. Up here if your voice gets ignored if you aren't left of center. At the same time I don't want to live in an area where I would be treated badly for being non-christian and northern. I don't know how common this is in Texas which is why I started this thread to get more info.

I'm also surprised to hear that Texas is environmentally conscientious and that California is worse. Though I can't say I'm surprised to hear about California's government messing things up.

Freedom, and liberty. That's what we are about. As a whole. If you love, and cherish those things, pack your bags. We'll leave a light on for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks. That sounds very appealing to me.

As far as the heat goes, the first four months of summer arent too bad, the second four months of summer get old![/QUOTE]

I won't vote for anyone who supports gun control or is liberal.
    It would be nice to be away from the cold winters. I took my sister to an outdoor range this summer and she went back to the car for the AC. It was only 80F :D

Howdy.
    I'm out West.
    Summer is hot and dry, winter is cold and dry, painful cold. I've seen folks from Montana and North Dakota shut down from the cold here. It's different.
    Wide open spaces here, you can see forever. Oil is king and the job market is great. We get a decent mix of cultures but nothing like the metro areas.
    I don't much care about religious affiliations, I'm more worried about your political stance.

Do you live in or near Lubbock? If so I have a couple questions. Considering the large student population what is the variation of noise levels? I prefer places that aren't too noisy. Also regarding crime. The data shows that crime in Lubbock has dropped over the past decade, but the assault rate seems to be above average. So can you elaborate on that?

My preference is to vote for pro gun / smaller government types. I suspect they are more common in TX than MA :)

jrob24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    What do you do for a living? How do you like to spend your weekends? Kids? Retirement? The answers to these questions may influence what part of Texas is for you. While Austin is technically IN the Hill Country, it is NOT the Hill Country. While Austin is a great place to work (technology, manufacturing, education) the Hill Country is a great place to vacation/retire (scenery, hunting, rivers). Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso are similar — much to do (jobs, entertainment, shopping) but I wouldn't want to live near that many people or send my kids to schools that big. Texas has big cities and the mentality that generally comes with those big cities. We have larger cities that still have a small-town feel (Georgetown & Waco). We have smaller cities & towns. We have country and then we have waaaaaaay the "F" out there. There's deserts, mountains, hills, marshland, plains, forests, big game, fishing, hogs, fishing lakes, recreation lakes, camping, racing (even the un-NASCAR variety), rodeo... I could go on. Whatever blows your skirt up, I'm sure you'll find it in Texas. Texas: the last place red-blooded Americans can still be red-blooded Americans.

I work as a pharmacy technician, but am not married to it and would be willing to try something else, though I haven't decided what "something else" is yet. I'd like to hear more about Georgetown and Waco. The cities that have caught my attention so far are Denton and Converse, I'm looking for a city/town with affordable rent that isn't crime ridden. A shooting range within an hours drive would be a plus.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Ive only been through Waco and havent been to the other towns you mentioned except Georgetown.

Georgetown is really nice.
    VERY! Twenty minutes or so from Austin, but the attitude makes it feel much further away. Waco has some really seedy areas, but Woodway, Hewitt & McGregor are MUUUCH nicer places to live and still relatively close to downtown Waco. If you're in the Denton area, look at McKinney, Plano & Grapevine — all nice areas with growth and inexpensive cost of living. I had a cousin that lived next to Converse in Universal City while her husband was stationed there, for someone originally from Colorado, she loved it.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    re. Lubbock.
    It's a nice conservative city with about 1/2 of the population being enrolled in college.
    Like most all Texas cities, the overall crime rate is down due to citizens being legally armed.
    The rise in assault cases is 2 fold. The city just went "wet" a couple of years ago.
    The Katrina refugees never left.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    re. Lubbock.
    It's a nice conservative city with about 1/2 of the population being enrolled in college.
    Like most all Texas cities, the overall crime rate is down due to citizens being legally armed.
    The rise in assault cases is 2 fold. The city just went "wet" a couple of years ago.

So are there Katrina refugees all over the state? Austin is very segregated and i see people staying in hotels for long periods of time, with no cars and seemingly with no jobs in areas i wouldnt expect them. (i tried to phrase that to not sound racist, because im not dammits! Except against the damned dirty Swedes)

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    So are there Katrina refugees all over the state? Austin is very segregated and i see people staying in hotels for long periods of time, with no cars and seemingly with no jobs in areas i wouldnt expect them. (i tried to phrase that to not sound racist, because im not dammits! Except against the damned dirty Swedes)
    To be brutally honest, I'm sure there were "Katrina refugees" here long before hurricane Katrina ever happened, I just don't hang out where they hang out. I never noticed an influx of them. The bad parts of town were always the bad parts of town. I guess if you're in that area often, you'd see them.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Being from Massachusetts, your accent will be made fun of. That's probably about the extent of it.

As for being non-Christian, I've got friends who are jews, wiccans, who follow new-agey things I can't wrap my head around, and who have no particular beliefs. As long as you're not a born-again evangelizing atheist who's out to keep anyone from having any beliefs you disagree with, you'll find Texas fairly welcoming.

Because frankly, most of us aren't worried what you might or might not pray to as long as you're a decent person.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No thats whats weird. I live in a nice expensive part of town. I knew they went to Houston in large numbers but didnt know they went elsewhere in Texas.

Know what you mean though, some classes (not races) have a refugee mentality.

To not further hijack the OP...move on down! You will love walking out of a gun store with your gun you just bought, no waiting, no background check w CHL.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Come on down. You'll find Texas a great place to live. A little hot from June thru September. My recommendation is whatever city you choose to live in you probably want to live in the suburbs. Generally within the city limits of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin is higher crime (just like everywhere else).

I was born and raised in Texas, and lived all over the state. Lived here all my life except for a ten year stint in San Francisco. We've lived in Austin now for twenty years and it's probably grown 200% since we moved here. Austin is the most liberal city in Texas. Most residents came here fleeing other states, especially California. Austin has gotten so big the traffic is almost as bad as Dallas and Houston. I have to admit. every summer I tell my wife I want to move back to California to get away from the heat.

jrob24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    re. Lubbock.

Thanks for the explanation. The concept of dry/wet cities regarding alcohol is a new concept to me :)

Being from Massachusetts, your accent will be made fun of. That's probably about the extent of it.

As for being non-Christian, I've got friends who are jews, wiccans, who follow new-agey things I can't wrap my head around, and who have no particular beliefs. As long as you're not a born-again evangelizing atheist who's out to keep anyone from having any beliefs you disagree with, you'll find Texas fairly welcoming.

Because frankly, most of us aren't worried what you might or might not pray to as long as you're a decent person.

It's ok if my accent is made fun of. I'll just exaggerate it then.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll continue my research and post updates occasionally.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom