• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrob24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2013
    Plano, TX
    Hello there,
    My name's Jason. I've owned guns for 11 years and favor modern pistols/revolvers. Rifle's are good but I seldom shoot past 50 yards, so I only own two and the 10/22 gets the most use.

The main reason I joined this forum is because I want to move out of Massachusetts next year and my research so far is making me lean towards Texas. I'm seeking more freedom, warmer weather and lower cost of living, and want to get away from a state dominated by anti-gun, nanny staters.

I'd like to learn more about what each region of Texas is like from those who live there. Especially about the local culture. There are some very predjudiced anti southerner stereotypes in the northeast, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but being fairly ignorant about Texan culture myself, and having no info yet to go against the stereotypes I've heard. I want to know how I'd be probably be treated by the locals considering I'm a northerner and non-christian. Bear in mind that I would not be trying to make Texas like Massachusetts and I like to get along with others as much as possible. Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Texas SOT

TwinGlocks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Houston
    Hi and welcome.

I've been living in the Houston area since 85 (originally from Minnesota) and I'll give you an insight as to what it's like here. This is a very diverse city from a cultural, racial/ethnic, religious, and linguistic standpoint. You will find anybody and everybody here in Houston and every type of restaurant there is. The politics are for the most part liberal and Democrat and unfortunately anti-gun. Fortunately, state preemption laws prevent locals from passing their own gun control measures. Being a northerner and a non-christian won't cause you any problems here in Houston.

The summers here are brutal and it's not so much the heat but the humidity but the winters are nice. The traffic here sucks and we don't have as good a public transportation system as other cities in the country so not having your own car will be a huge inconvenience.

As for the stereotypes, I'm not sure what stereotypes you're referring to but if I'm guessing correctly it's some stereotype about some rabid, racist, gun toting, uneducated, hillbilly accent, NASCAR watching, redneck dumbass, living in a trailer park. No you won't see that kind of shit in Houston.

Last edited:

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    welcome from mckinney, which is just north of dallas. lived here all my life. Been shooting since i was 8 or 9. Been around guns all my life and have raised my kids the same . All parts of texas are different, and all have their good points and bad points.summers are hot but you get used to them. Drivers freak out in the winter here. We have no state income tax here and we like it that way. come on down

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Freedom, and liberty. That's what we are about. As a whole. If you love, and cherish those things, pack your bags. We'll leave a light on for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

itsawondertoo

Semper Fi! Don't make me use my knife hands!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Hi and welcome.

I've been living in the Houston area since 85 (originally from Minnesota) and I'll give you an insight as to what it's like here. This is a very diverse city from a cultural, racial/ethnic, religious, and linguistic standpoint. You will find anybody and everybody here in Houston and every type of restaurant there is. The politics are for the most part liberal and Democrat and unfortunately anti-gun. Fortunately, state preemption laws prevent locals from passing their own gun control measures. Being a northerner and a non-christian won't cause you any problems here in Houston.

The summers here are brutal and it's not so much the heat but the humidity but the winters are nice. The traffic here sucks and the we don't have as good a public transportation system as other cities in the country so not having your own car will be a huge inconvenience.

As for the stereotypes, I'm not sure what stereotypes you're referring to but if I'm guessing correctly it's some stereotype about some rabid, racist, gun toting, uneducated, hillbilly accent, NASCAR watching, redneck dumbass, living in a trailer park. No you won't see that kind of shit in Houston.

Welcome! I live in Houston and Twinglocks said it well ^^^ so there is no cause for me to repeat...While I was conceived at Fort Bliss, I didn't live in Texas until I got out of the Corps in '94 and I am not living anywhere else although I do like to visit the rest of the world on vacations...

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    Welcome I'm from Chicago. Living in Austin. You will find Texas very welcoming. Every one is friendly.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It is hot in Texas 9 months of the year. Very hot. We KNOW it is hot.
    Don't biotch about it like every other yankee that moves here. Like anyone can do anything about it.
    Go inside with the A/C.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello there,
    My name's Jason. I've owned guns for 11 years and favor modern pistols/revolvers. Rifle's are good but I seldom shoot past 50 yards, so I only own two and the 10/22 gets the most use.

The main reason I joined this forum is because I want to move out of Massachusetts next year and my research so far is making me lean towards Texas. I'm seeking more freedom, warmer weather and lower cost of living, and want to get away from a state dominated by anti-gun, nanny staters.

I'd like to learn more about what each region of Texas is like from those who live there. Especially about the local culture. There are some very predjudiced anti southerner stereotypes in the northeast, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but being fairly ignorant about Texan culture myself, and having no info yet to go against the stereotypes I've heard. I want to know how I'd be probably be treated by the locals considering I'm a northerner and non-christian. Bear in mind that I would not be trying to make Texas like Massachusetts and I like to get along with others as much as possible. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hello jrob24 and welcome. I just moved to Austin from Boston almost two years ago. Before Boston I lived in Los Angeles, and before that I lived in New York. Personally, despite the "hipster" culture and the general tendency for "real" Texans to bash Austin, I do not mind it. In comparison to where I have lived it is extremely affordable. As far as culture, here in Austin, UT and the students influence a lot of the city along with other personalities that are probably familiar to someone from a place like Mass. Despite the mild annoyances this causes, I think most people I have met do not fall to far into the "right" or "left" politically. I was raised Catholic, even had nuns teaching me until High School, but I would describe myself as agnostic. There are plenty of people who cite their religion as the guide to their other beliefs, and I have met a few people who I have thought, "Okay we are not going to see eye to eye", but I haven't had anyone judge me or try to push it down my throat.

One thing I immediately noticed, Texas is one of the most environmentally conscientious states I have lived in. I know here in Austin a lot of people have beef with the LCRA for releasing water to the farmers in the south, but it is nothing compared to the mismanagement to land that I saw in California.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You asked about the different areas. I read a book once about how Texas was confused if it was a Southern or Western state.

Different parts of the state have a different feel and vibe.

Rural areas get a bad rap. Most people ive met from cities, especially from the north, are extremely prejudiced about how the South or the "country" is.

If you vote right, youre welcome here. While your here, id like to invite you to my church!

As far as the heat goes, the first four months of summer arent too bad, the second four months of summer get old!

Last edited:

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Welcome from just east of Austin. I do like Austin, enjoy the diversity, the live music, culture. Yes, Austin in general is liberal, but, we have them surrounded! As far as my background, moved to Texas (San Antonio) from MA in 1980 after the blizzard of 78 and have never looked back. I consider myself a Texan. Come on down and enjoy a free state!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Howdy.
    I'm out West.
    Summer is hot and dry, winter is cold and dry, painful cold. I've seen folks from Montana and North Dakota shut down from the cold here. It's different.
    Wide open spaces here, you can see forever. Oil is king and the job market is great. We get a decent mix of cultures but nothing like the metro areas.
    I don't much care about religious affiliations, I'm more worried about your political stance.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Howdy.
    I'm out West.
    Summer is hot and dry, winter is cold and dry, painful cold. I've seen folks from Montana and North Dakota shut down from the cold here. It's different.
    Wide open spaces here, you can see forever. Oil is king and the job market is great. We get a decent mix of cultures but nothing like the metro areas.
    I don't much care about religious affiliations, I'm more worried about your political stance.

Ive never been out to West Texas. Ive never been farther West than Austin basically. How far do i have to drive to get a feel for what its like "out there"?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When you can't see any more trees! Or ................. when you're going to Amarillo and see the lights up ahead and think you're about there, ........... and two hours later you're still not there! Etc., etc.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ive never been out to West Texas. Ive never been farther West than Austin basically. How far do i have to drive to get a feel for what its like "out there"?

Sweetwater will get you to the "rolling plains" and out of any kind of trees.
    North of I-20 up on the caprock by Lamesa is the true plains, just flat.
    South of I-20 is more hills and rocky terrain, desert like.
    Then theres the mountain range from Carlsbad NM to Big Bend seperating the Pecos and Rio Grande river valleys.
    I think that is a beautiful area, sparsely populated and undeveloped.
    A little of everything and a lot of nothing.

Top Bottom