Join TexasGunTalk

Hello, I was going to attend some gun shows in Texas and I'm trying...

Discussion in 'Events' started by MatthewDavenport, Dec 13, 2019.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    "I want the same kind of gun that mass shooter used" and "Is this the same kind of gun that mass shooter used?" are things said/asked at gun shows that should always be a big red flag to any seller.

Yes, there are people so "off" that they let those words out of their mouth.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  2. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Mostly, they walk through them and leave, griping about the high prices as they climb into their $60,000 4X4 pickup w/$10,000 worth of bolt-on crap that's never been off-road and is detailed weekly.

smittyb, bjrichus, Dawico and 3 others like this.
  3. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Gun shows way back when used to be for folks that were into guns. It has devolved in the last couple of decades into what it is now, a Walmartesque conglomeration of douchebaggery looking to make money on everyone who has heard the left screech “gun show loophole”
    People that know better now save the $10 plus parking fees and just shop online or with trusted LGS.

gll, oldag, Brains and 3 others like this.
  4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Member

Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    Apparently, and the cops follow them home. :stir::laughing:

SQLGeek likes this.
  5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Hoji,
    I like the terminology! :banana:
    "...Walmartesque conglomeration of douchebaggery ..."

gll and Dad_Roman like this.
  6. MatthewDavenport

MatthewDavenport New Member

Yeah, I didn't realize people actually said that.

But I guess most private sellers will be walking around or just standing if they don't have a table? But I guess I should start with new guns since once of the posters said my knowledge is very limited.

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Some vendors sell used guns as well, antique guns, collectable guns, etc. The difference is they are paying for the space and may be slightly higher priced. Anymore mostly vendors sell beef jerky, cheap knives and other flea market crap.

8. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    OP was asking about best deals, not how to skirt around background checks!

The beauty of a gun show is you can shop around and compare prices from a variety of vendors, but if you're looking for a new gun then you'll most likely be buying one from a vendor.

I would recommend downloading the Gun Deals app to see what online prices are. Note those don't include shipping and FFL transfers whereas at a gun show do you not only get to handle the firearm before buying, but you usually avoid both of those.

But as has already be stated, don't get your hopes up too high. The allure of gun shows has faded considerably over the past few years...

9. 45tex

45tex TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2009
    Keep in mind any handgun you buy would need to be transferred through an FFL in your home state if you are not from here. Some private sellers can be lied to but that has its own problems

jordanmills, easy rider and V-Tach like this.
  10. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    ^^^^^^^Was wondering if OP is a Texas resident..............