Venture Surplus ad

Hello. New to Texas and looking forward to it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryououki

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Hi all. I just moved out the west side of Houston. I just moved out from the Sacramento, CA area, where I previously spent the last 2 decades. I recently got serious about firearms about 18 months ago, but had been around them all my life as my dad was a fan of hunting.

I am quite happy to finally be rid of all the restrictions of purchasing a gun and not having to register anything. Just finished filling out the forms to have California remove my list of guns registered in their state. I have yet to make any new firearm purchases, as we are still settling in to our home, but am looking forward to getting something fun.

I have a CCW from being out in California, but was recently told by the Sacramento Sheriff department that it's no longer valid now that I moved. So, I have to look in to getting the Texas CHL. I've been reviewing the laws for TX CHL holders and there is one huge issue I see. Why the heck can't a CHL owner concealed carry in to a school building?! That is ridiculous! Even in California with all their insane restrictions, I could lawfully carry on school premises with my CCW. I thought Texas would know better than that.

So far, we are really enjoying our new home and the Houston area. I look forward to getting the chance to meet other gun enthusiasts out here and seeing some really cool guns that California would not allow. I will be spending a lot of time reading up in these forums to get acquainted with how things work out here and finding local gun groups and ranges. I used to be a participating member of CalGuns while out in California, which had a great bunch of people who loved guns but hated the laws out there as well.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. I look forward to discussing topics and meeting some of you as time goes by.
    Military Camp

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Welcome to TGT.

Curious...

When you had your guns removed from the CADOJ registry, did you have to send them any proof of where you actually moved to or did you just fill out a form with your new address and that was it?

Ryououki

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes!

Curious...

When you had your guns removed from the CADOJ registry, did you have to send them any proof of where you actually moved to or did you just fill out a form with your new address and that was it?

Southpaw, the form is found here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf?

You fill out the form and choose moved to new state option, and yes, they require proof of residency.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes!

Southpaw, the form is found here: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf?

You fill out the form and choose moved to new state option, and yes, they require proof of residency.

Thanks. I asked that because I believe CA and other states that are asking for such details, could be keeping them in it in their database anyway. Does it matter? Maybe not, but just seems like a perfectly legal way to build a national registration database of sorts, albeit incomplete, by using states to compile the information and having them linked or somehow accessible federally. Of course, I am not claiming to have any facts, just seems like something the anti gunners would do.

Also, I have to ask why you would even bother to fill it out? Please don't take this as me trying to pick a fight, I am just curious as to what business it is to the state of CA what a resident in another state is doing, is all.

Ryououki

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Katy, TX
    Southpaw, I didn't really think about it that way. I was just thinking I wanted to get off of California's registration database. Do you think it's better to not send the forms in? I hate the idea of California having my guns still in their registry, but I'd hate to find out it is still in their registry and now just shows I have them elsewhere. I seriously hate the registration thing!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Southpaw, I didn't really think about it that way. I was just thinking I wanted to get off of California's registration database. Do you think it's better to not send the forms in? I hate the idea of California having my guns still in their registry, but I'd hate to find out it is still in their registry and now just shows I have them elsewhere. I seriously hate the registration thing!

Do you honestly think they're just going to delete your info? Unlikely.

Top Bottom