Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    a location that suggested being international
    IIRC, when I initially approved that account this didn't click with me. The stated location of "cap city" was, I figured, a silly euphemism for Austin. Once the initial report on the account came in, though, it was a piece of the puzzle.

It's never been a hard and fast rule that people have to give their real location when they sign up. Some just say "Texas" and that's fine. Some say "USA" and I tend to look more closely at those. While it would be nice if people would use a specific county or city for their location, I don't see us making any rules about that any time soon, especially since some long-time members like to get creative and funny with that database field.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    IIRC, when I initially approved that account this didn't click with me. The stated location of "cap city"….
    Ahhh, but it didn’t say cap city.

8c68f693d7977885eefde674457ca55d.jpg

I immediately associated that as Cape Town, South Africa. Not an alarm bell per se except the grammar and syntax doesn’t match at all with how somebody from there would write. Again, for me it is/was totality of circumstances that clicked.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I thought it was possibly Cape Town also.

This post tripped my trigger for a few reasons:

Non-American English. Generic phrases such as "learned so much" that shows interest but isn't specific.

Most real introductions will contain some information about the person, where they live, types of guns they like shooting, etc.

It matches the pattern I've seen from scammers in other areas and since we've been having issues, I've been on higher alert.

There's more but I don't want to give the scammers hints on how to do better.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ahhh, but it didn’t say cap city.
    My apologies. I should never rely on my memory in these cases. I only needed to turn back a page or two, after all.

My point remains. "Cape Town" didn't come to mind; "Capital" did. That was my mistake.

And helping us mods catch our mistakes is one of the very best reasons for the report button to exist. I wish people would use it more.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Gladly.

The following applies to people who may want to directly rip off fellow members, to scam them out of money.
    • English proficiency.
      • I don't care if this sounds racist or populist in a negative sense, but if it seems someone is not a native English speaker, that may be only a small red flag but it's important enough to investigate. That was the report in this case. It seems like almost nothing but it's often the only visible sign that someone really has no place on a Texas-centric forum, such as the OP account that was from India. Yeah, I know sometimes Yankees talk funny...but we can usually figure out what's going on with those.
    • Selling outside the classifieds.
      • Members should report attempts to buy or sell anything outside the classifieds. When people place a thinly disguised ad (sometimes a blatant ad) outside the classifieds, it's some sort of dodge. It's often a rip-off. If it's not a rip-off, the person is simply too stupid to read the rules and comply. And do you really want to do business with someone that stupid?
    • Soliciting sales via PM.
      • Related to the previous point, if you get a PM out of the blue offering you just the gun you've been looking for, report them and let us do a little digging before you congratulate yourself on your good fortune. We've seen almost the exact same PM sent to many people at almost the same time, the only difference between them being the type of gun offered for sale. PMs from people you don't know who have exactly what you want is a BIG red flag.
    • Payment shenanigans.
      • The obvious signs of a rip-off via shady and/or manipulative payment schemes are covered here. Those should be reported.
    There are lots of other things that should be reported having to do with rule violations but that's a separate subject.

I also won't get into everything we do to verify accounts after you make a report. Our actions are not trade secrets, not by any means. Many of you know more about the subject than I do. But, speaking only for myself, I commonly rely on some data that I've never seen anyone mention in the open on TGT; I'd rather not hand that info on a silver platter to any bad guys who might be reading this. They almost certainly already know everything I can do but I don't want to gratuitously make things easier for them.

I can only reasonably discuss the stuff that violates rules or is attempting a rip-off. According to authoritative sources, we're all questionable characters so the last half of your question is too broad for me to address. :)
    Ohhh so jus cuz engrish taint my secondary verbiage I neeeedz witchn

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    If phishing is fake email
    And smishing is fake texting
    Is this forum is hung?

Need to work on that….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It was only a few days ago that I learned the name "Ebonics" had been supplanted by "African-American Vernacular English." I learned this in a tweet where someone was complaining about people appropriating language and, well, I didn't get much further than that.

The term "Blinglish" rolls off the tongue better.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom