• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ive gotten some advice already here. Let me explain I own a XD45 with a 4 inch barrel but I dont own the small clip or shorter handle version. Mine is full size. Ive tried OWB and Smart Carry holsters. Neither one is going to be easy at all for concealment. The gun is just to big. Im a lean guy 6.0ft 190 lbs but man I dont see how u guys are carrying these things. I havent tried a IWB but I dont think it would be much diff then OWB. Mayby shoulder holster is the answer. Im really regretting not getting the compact XD with the shorter handle. You lose 4 bullets but it may be enough to help. The smart carry even wearing very low makes it very hard to sit in a car seat and when standing I have the handle bulging out. I wear loose type or carpenter jeans so there not tight. Thanks 4 any advice. I havent received my conceal permit as my class is April 25 but I still wanted to see what would work.
    DK Firearms

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    I carried my brothers XD45 service(4" barrel & full size grip) like yours for about a week just to see how it felt. I also thought it was a little long in the grip area. But otherwise it was fine. After that trial I decided to buy the XD45 compact(shorter grip) for full time carry. The shorter compact grip made a big difference for me. It was easier to conceal.

As far as holsters I highly recommend you try a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. That's what I used for both of the XD's. You can try it free for two weeks. If you don't like it or whatever you can send it back for a refund. No BS!

[url]http://www.crossbreedholsters.com[/URL]

As for outside waistband I have found that DM Bullard in Azle, Tx. is my favorite. Although I havn't carried the XD45 in one of his holsters.

Also, Make sure you have a good gun belt.

Hope this helps

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Big gun like that and IWB is probably the only way to go. IWB pulls the gun up close to the body and can help hide a big grip. Like Sidewayz said the D M Bullard is a great holster. Don't know about his OWB models but the Dual Carry works great in either mode and should make a big difference in printing. If you are any where near Azle you might want to drop by Bullard's and check them out.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks 4 the help guys. As far as Xd goes do you the extra safety lever or the usual trigger and grip safety. I have just the 2 wich makes u very careful when putting it in the holster. Unless of course u dont have it chambered.

Sidewayz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Decatur, TX
    In my opinion the extra manual safety lever is just another step you'll need to add to presenting the gun and making ready to fire. For the guys that have been shooting 1911's forever(or any gun w/man safety) it's no big deal cause that step is natural. If that added safety makes you more comfortable then go for it. Practice, practice, practice and practice some more. We all need it!!

The safety of any gun is mostly between your ears(as Clint Smith would say)

Remember, treat ALL guns as if they are loaded, all the time. Don't relax your safety procedures because you think the gun is unloaded.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I carry my XD Service IWB in a Comp-Tac Minotaur all day, my wife sometimes has to ask if I am carrying and it is comfortable too...

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Sideways well spoken. I agree 100% sometimes I just talk out loud to remind myself safety first. Dirty D thanks 4 the info.

Top Bottom