• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I got about 95% of the meat off the skull but there's still little bits of gristle on the back of the head and inside the nasal cavity. I'm afraid that if I keep boiling it, bones will start falling off. I've heard of you bleach with bits of meat on, they'll fall off. Is that true?Anyone know of a sure fire way to get that last 5% off?
    I'll post a pic later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It has to be cleaned off. I'd let the skull soak in dawn dish or diluted simple green to break down the oils. The skull needs to be oil free for the best bleach. The oil is fairly deep in the bone. What doesn't fall off...needs to be picked off. No little chunks of anything.

Then it's hair bleach powder and 30% H2O2. Stuck in a clear bag and sat in the Sun.

I've bleached probably 5 deer skulls and have done a amateur stuffing of a couple of ground squirrels and a few rattlesnakes. Grey fox.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Fine. If you don't wanna ask your neighbor if you could bury a skull in his yard for a little bit, the pros use dermestid beetles. This link isn't an endorsement of that particular site, but it has a good explanation, and it's addressing your specific concerns.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    It has to be cleaned off. I'd let the skull soak in dawn dish or diluted simple green to break down the oils. The skull needs to be oil free for the best bleach. The oil is fairly deep in the bone. What doesn't fall off...needs to be picked off. No little chunks of anything.

Then it's hair bleach powder and 30% H2O2. Stuck in a clear bag and sat in the Sun.

I've bleached probably 5 deer skulls and have done a amateur stuffing of a couple of ground squirrels and a few rattlesnakes. Grey fox.

You're saying just soak in water with dish soap? How long?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You're saying just soak in water with dish soap? How long?

Until the chunks come off easy. You can soak it as long as you need. It go's slows, I'd expect anywhere from three days to a week and half. It's gotta degrease. Soaking bone won't hurt it. It'll dry out after the bleaching.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Those super white skull mounts, you'll see, are done by professional folks that's been doing it for awhile.

It's harder then it looks. It's been over a decade since I last did it. There's lots of tricks to getting it that bright, pure white.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Those super white skull mounts, you'll see, are done by professional folks that's been doing it for awhile.

It's harder then it looks. It's been over a decade since I last did it. There's lots of tricks to getting it that bright, pure white.

I have a taxidermist that'll give me a 60% discount if I do what I've done to the skull so far. But I can tell he doesn't enjoy giving me the discount. He'd much rather get the whole $250 but I'm a tight wadd

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    c1e9acf1a33f2645c2f1cfa930b8f56b.jpg

Found an ant pile. What do you think couple of days? Hopefully the dog doesn't get to it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    View attachment 126205
    Found an ant pile. What do you think couple of days? Hopefully the dog doesn't get to it

The ants will mess it up. While they're eating stuff. They'll also build a mound inside and around the skull. The dirt will stain the bone. You can't set it on top a board either. They'll still try to cover it with dirt.

Not recommended. I've tried it. Fire ants don't work.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Here's a taxidermy supply that's been around for a long long time. Anything you need, they'll have. To include bleach kits. Check out the exotic head forms and choice of eyeballs.

https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Taxidermy-Supplies-C4.aspx

It's been a while but look into TSP cleaner. It's a powder you mix with water to wash walls before painting. Lowe's has it by the paint strippers. Cereal box looking. It's a degreaser...and if I'm remembering right about a homemade diy. It's safe on bone. Try your best to make sure nothing touches the antlers. Wax or seal them off with tape and two bags. I'd smear them down with Johnson's paste wax after the bleach, regardless. Buff to a decent gloss.

Super careful with the bleach around the bases on the skull cap. It'll mess them up.

Btw, Nice harvest.

Last edited:

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Here's a taxidermy supply that's been around for a long long time. Anything you need, they'll have. To include bleach kits. Check out the exotic head forms and choice of eyeballs.

It's been a while but look into TSP cleaner. It's a powder you mix with water to wash walls before painting. Lowe's has it by the paint strippers. Cereal box looking. It's a degreaser...and if I'm remembering right about a homemade diy. It's safe on bone. Try your best to make sure nothing touches the antlers. Wax or seal them off with tape and two bags. I'd smear them down with Johnson's paste wax after the bleach, regardless. Buff to a decent gloss.

Super careful with the bleach around the bases on the skull cap. It'll mess them up.

Btw, Nice harvest.

I bought some cheap picks and tweezers at harbor freight. Working on it right now

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016

Btw, Nice harvest.

I bought some cheap picks and tweezers at harbor freight. Working on it right now

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    9cd4c924bb142a2d646ebc9eab38af88.jpg
    04e78da1ed05b8072dc6123c8fd74a84.jpg

I have gotten 99.9% of the meat. Is it time to bleach?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Degreaser one more time. Use a toothbrush and scrub it. I'd use toothpaste with some baking soda mixed in. Tooth bleaching if you got it. Scrub the outside pretty good. Lol....brush it's teeth too. No joke. Rinse it well...

Then bleach it. It's looking good.

Last edited:

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Degreaser one more time. Use a toothbrush and scrub it. I'd use toothpaste with some baking soda mixed in. Tooth bleaching if you got it. Scrub the outside pretty good. Lol....brush it's teeth too. No joke. Rinse it well...

Then bleach it. It's looking good.

3be0101d4a9a799ccff0002bf9517058.jpg

I'm ready to whiten. Any tips?

Top Bottom