• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    I'm looking to purchase a water softener but don't know what to look for. I live in a 1980 Ray Ellison home that is NOT plumbed for a softener. I know where the water line is so they will have to intercept outside and make a hole in the brick or bust up the slab in the garage to intercept.

I've had Alamo Watersoftener come by and give me a quote $3495 for complete install with a Reverse Osmosis filter for drinking water.

I called Kinetico but they won't give me a ball park without coming to the house. I was going to Home Depot / Lowe's to give me a quote in the near future.

Any who, I was looking to see what some of you might have to say. Anything I should stay away from? (Brand, company, etc) Upgrade I should purchase ahead of time? (Single/dual tank, normal or Kinetico) Maybe recommend a plumber to pipe everything then I go purchase my own unit?

Let me me know and thanks in advance.
    Guns International

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    If you already have a dedicated hook up for it, install it yourself, it's easy. Otherwise, get ready to pay some bucks!

Yeah, I'm not preplumbed for a softener. While I'm sure I can dig it up and drill a hole in the brick, plumbing in my mind means "let's go to the store three times today to fix it". Plus I suck at soldering.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You've got a lot to sort through....I sell 'em, but use a licensed plumber to do the install - that way, you know it's done properly, and to code. Installation cost will be the biggest variable - and yeah, we DO need to look at it first in order to give you an accurate quote. You can message, email or call me - I'm booked through Thursday, but should be able to set up a visit either Friday or Monday.

Cell is 210@392@8840 (just to confuse the bots.....lol)

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Funny part about that "to code". My coworker purchased a unit from some company here in town and had their survey guy come out and tell him a price of $5k and he went with it (yikes). So I asked him about the drain line and if it was just stubbed outside or if they took it to an actual drain like they were supposed to. Cause they told him, like they told me, that the nearest drain was the washer drain and they'd have to go through the the attic and walls to get to it and that was additional cost. Well he went home and sure nuff they stubbed it outside, lol. I'll have to ask him tomorrow if he every made them fix it, but I highly doubt it.

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I like River City Water. I've bought two from them (different houses, not a failure on their part). 210-308-9355

Top Bottom