• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just a friendly reminder. Tile work sucks, even when you're not the guy doing the actual work. The crew working on our place has been putting in some serious sweat equity for sure.

\
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    Texas SOT

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Dawico said:
    Tile work does suck.

Removing work that was done properly sucks too.
    That can't be understated. The original installers used quite a thorough bed of thinset and fully back buttered each tile.

Now the previous homeowners, that's another story. I should have taken pictures of this past weekend's efforts, but I was too busy doing the work. They built an "outdoor kitchen" that was anything but, and decided to tile the patio. With bathroom wall tile. Over three layers of paint. Using mastic. At least it came up really easy and cleaned up beautifully with a pressure washer.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Love the tile floors here at the new house! While they are cold in the winter on the feet, they beat carpet. Carpet is nothing but a dirt sync in my eyes, carpet ain’t good for those that suffer with allergies!

Easier to vacuum up dog hair off of tile. Easier to mop up spills too.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    We're going back with tile again, just a different style. Only place we have carpet is in the media room.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Love the tile floors here at the new house! While they are cold in the winter on the feet, they beat carpet. Carpet is nothing but a dirt sync in my eyes, carpet ain’t good for those that suffer with allergies!

Easier to vacuum up dog hair off of tile. Easier to mop up spills too.

Agree. Carpet is just nasty.

Our house only has hardwood floors and tile for the wet areas. And two Roombas keep it pretty much spotless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My wife wants me to lay some tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Not happening. Ill do any kind of flooring or walls other than tile. It is awful

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Agree. Carpet is just nasty.

Our house only has hardwood floors and tile for the wet areas. And two Roombas keep it pretty much spotless.

I have a buddy who use to sleep drink & eat. Made himself a bowl of cereal and spilt milk out of the bowl. A few days later his wife was wondering what stank so bad! Needless to say they had to have the carpet pulled.

I thought about a robot vaccum when we moved into the new house. Seeing as we do have a dog, I trashed that idea after seeing videos of dog shit tracked all over. Even with a housebroken dog it’s not a risk I’d take!

Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I moved into a house that had damage from the Feb freeze and they'd replaced the tile. They covered everything but it didn't matter since dust finds a way to seep through any unknown gap.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Think you can vacuum carpet clean? Vacuum a throw rug as good as you can. Take it OUTSIDE, turn it over and vacuum the back side, you will be amazed what comes out of it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I have a buddy who use to sleep drink & eat. Made himself a bowl of cereal and spilt milk out of the bowl. A few days later his wife was wondering what stank so bad! Needless to say they had to have the carpet pulled.

I thought about a robot vaccum when we moved into the new house. Seeing as we do have a dog, I trashed that idea after seeing videos of dog shit tracked all over. Even with a housebroken dog it’s not a risk I’d take!

My wife has a few cats. They track shit everywhere.
    Our robot vacuum keeps the floors “barefoot clean”.
    And keeps the dust bunnies from forming.

The amount of crap this thing picks up daily is surprising.

The only other time our floors get cleaned, are every other week by our cleaning lady.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Think you can vacuum carpet clean? Vacuum a throw rug as good as you can. Take it OUTSIDE, turn it over and vacuum the back side, you will be amazed what comes out of it.

After vacuuming, take a carpet cleaner to your carpet.

The liquid you’ll suck-up from even a clean carpet will be gross enough to convince most folks that carpets are disgustingly dirty, and you won’t roll around on them again.

True story, it’s why I hate carpet.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    One of the things I did to attempt to keep the dust down is to stick a 4 inch filter in the HVAC return (vs. the 1"), and tape all the seams. Once that dust gets into the returns you always seem to have that characteristic smell. Figured a 1" filter would quickly collapse on itself as soon as the dust built up. Can't really ask the crew to work in a house w/o air conditioning right now, that's just mean. Since the whole 1st floor is being done, and they installed a full plastic barrier to the 2nd floor, so far the dust has been pretty well kept at bay *(knock on wood)*.

Eager for the tile install phase, and for the rest of the project to get rolling.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    One of the things I did to attempt to keep the dust down is to stick a 4 inch filter in the HVAC return (vs. the 1"), and tape all the seams. Once that dust gets into the returns you always seem to have that characteristic smell. Figured a 1" filter would quickly collapse on itself as soon as the dust built up. Can't really ask the crew to work in a house w/o air conditioning right now, that's just mean. Since the whole 1st floor is being done, and they installed a full plastic barrier to the 2nd floor, so far the dust has been pretty well kept at bay *(knock on wood)*.

Eager for the tile install phase, and for the rest of the project to get rolling.

Our vac is meant for homes with pets so it has a HEPA filter plus 2 other filters.

Construction dust (drywall gypsum) completely clogs it up in very short order.

Sorta makes you wonder where all that crap goes in a conventional vac…out the exhaust as you mention is likely b

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Dusty conditions pro tip: SWEEPING COMPOUND!

Working in powerhouses and factory in general always is creating a LOT of dust and sweeping it up seems to put as much in the air as in the dumpster.

Use sweeping compound when every you can to keep it down. We used a LOT sweeping up ash, coal dust, asbestos and just general dirt dust. It is essentially saw dust and some type of oil.

Now days I'm retired and I make my own. Just used it the last three days sweeping up messes in a remodel job. Any time I have the chainsaw out making a LOT of chips, I refill my buckets I say to use for garage spills but I'll also dump used motor oil in the top of a 5 gallon bucket and then stir it up by hand. Almost seems all the oil went straight to the bottom but it is still there in the top half when you start mixing it. Once it just starts to clump a little you have it wet enough to sweep with and not leave oil on the floor. You can always add more and less to make it suit you but it really makes a difference sweeping up dry dirty floors no matter what is in the dust.

Top Bottom