• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm having a 30x36 shop building built and I'm going to have a dedicated meter
    I want to start gathering up things like the load center and some wire so I have things kind of ready when its finished in 3 weeks (or so)lol

I will definitely want a dedicated 15 amp light circuit and 2 other 20 amp work bench circuits and maybe a dedicated 20 amp air compressor circuit but I also want to have the space to add in a 220 plug for a possible future stick welder

I think I need a 200amp with a main and I want to get the Home Line Square D from Lowes

Can you electricians help me choose the right box please?
    Lynx Defense

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I'm having a 30x36 shop building built and I'm going to have a dedicated meter
    I want to start gathering up things like the load center and some wire so I have things kind of ready when its finished in 3 weeks (or so)lol

I will definitely want a dedicated 15 amp light circuit and 2 other 20 amp work bench circuits and maybe a dedicated 20 amp air compressor circuit but I also want to have the space to add in a 220 plug for a possible future stick welder

I think I need a 200amp with a main and I want to get the Home Line Square D from Lowes

Can you electricians help me choose the right box please?
    I built a cargo container shop with lean to shed on side for welding, I chose the square D because of availability ...I use a 100 amp panel...with just two people working it drives everything at 80% of load that we use simultaneously. also a 30 amp circuit is a rare use but nice to have.

mountainbull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    Because your shop is going to have its own meter, the first step is contact the power company to find out what they will accept for a service panel.
    You may be able to install a 125 amp main and that will cut down on cost on every part of the install.
    Plus they can tell you cost for there part for the conn.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My 16 x 20 shop has a 200 amp panel - overkill perhaps, but I've been known to run a mig welder, plasma cutter, grinders and other power equipment simultaneously when there's several of us working on a project. I was taught by Dad that you NEVER skimp on power supplies. Every pair of 110 vac duplex outlets are "home runned" back to the panel, and those paired outlets are NEVER next to each other so I don't load up a breaker running a saw and vacuum, etc. I have a 220 vac outlet for my stick welder about 4' from the panel, and a 20-am 220 vac on the opposite wall just in case. By design, all compressors, welders, etc are powered by outlets within 6' of the panel just to keep those runs short.

Square D is my panel of choice, but IIRC, Home Depot was about 15% less expensive than Lowe's.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Because your shop is going to have its own meter, the first step is contact the power company to find out what they will accept for a service panel.
    You may be able to install a 125 amp main and that will cut down on cost on every part of the install.
    Plus they can tell you cost for there part for the conn.
    I did that.
    They came out and gave me a meter box to mount and said when the box is mounted they will get me connected
    It's full service power just like my home
    I can have a 200 amp box if I want it

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    My 16 x 20 shop has a 200 amp panel - overkill perhaps, but I've been known to run a mig welder, plasma cutter, grinders and other power equipment simultaneously when there's several of us working on a project. I was taught by Dad that you NEVER skimp on power supplies. Every pair of 110 vac duplex outlets are "home runned" back to the panel, and those paired outlets are NEVER next to each other so I don't load up a breaker running a saw and vacuum, etc. I have a 220 vac outlet for my stick welder about 4' from the panel, and a 20-am 220 vac on the opposite wall just in case. By design, all compressors, welders, etc are powered by outlets within 6' of the panel just to keep those runs short.

Square D is my panel of choice, but IIRC, Home Depot was about 15% less expensive than Lowe's.
    ^^^ THIS is the way to wire a shop ! ^^^

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Home line breakers are available most everywhere. It's an excellent choice.
    Get a panel with a main breaker. Just so you can disconnect from the meter when you need to add a circuit or replace any breaker, or any type of maintenance.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Contact your power company to see how they want it. My boss had a costly nightmare because even though it was to code everything was fine, the power company wouldn’t hook up a meter. Too much typing to say what the problem was.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    IF this is only going to power a one man shop, use a 60-to 100 A panel. IF you may want further buildings in the future, step up to a 200A panel. If some is good, more is BETTER!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Home line breakers are available most everywhere. It's an excellent choice.
    Get a panel with a main breaker. Just so you can disconnect from the meter when you need to add a circuit or replace any breaker, or any type of maintenance.
    You think I need to go 200 amp or 100?
    Based on what I'm going to have

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I think I'd get a 150 amp main . 2/0 copper from the meter to the breaker panel.
    Not being snarky.
    I doubt you'd overload it on the busiest of days.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    IF this is only going to power a one man shop, use a 60-to 100 A panel. IF you may want further buildings in the future, step up to a 200A panel. If some is good, more is BETTER!

^^^ This ^^^

With what you listed, IMO you only NEED a 60amp panel, considering that not every circuit will be drawing current at the same time.

100 or 125 will give you extra ampacity and room for extra breakers for future expansion.

If you think you might want to use that load center to power a sub-panel in a future garden center/storeroom/outbuilding/greenhouse/etc and/or put in an RV hookup (30 to 50 amps) I'd go with a small 200A. (fewer breaker positions than the biggest full size box)

Square D is my fav also.

Part of what you get will also depend on availability. Cost will most likely not make a big diff in what you choose, but yes I would shop around. As a contractor, I got a discount at the local elec/plumbing supply and as Lowes/Depot is so far away I used them a lot. Good advice there too. Esp don't take advice from big box store Lowes/Depot floor people!!!

PS... I suggest making friends with your elec inspector and working closely with him/her/it/ze/they/them... they can save you a lot of rework if you ask questions ahead of time.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I would go bigger than you currently need, to have room to grow in the future. I'd plan for 200 amp.

I ran a 50amp for our camper, but now want to hook up some power in my conex that is close by. Because I ran 6ga wire for the 50amp, I need 1ga to run 150-200amp. So now I need to pull the whole run again with 1ga, if I would have just went 1ga in the beginning I wouldn't have to pull the whole run & start over.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    20220522_112446.jpg

Here is what we got. Grabbed some 15 amp beakers and just need a couple of 20s. But they are in short supply
    I won't need this for 5 weeks likely so I have time

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    No inspector .. this is rural
    The only inspection might be a quick peak by the provider when they hook up my meter
    View attachment 321115

Here is what we got. Grabbed some 15 amp beakers and just need a couple of 20s. But they are in short supply
    I won't need this for 5 weeks likely so I have time
    That should do you just fine.

Last two shops were basically one man wood shops, biggest load was usually a 5HP table saw, dust control and big air compressor.

100A SquareD was more than sufficient.

Top Bottom