Help me choose my new nine

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MuddyWaterMan, Jul 4, 2009.

Well what one do I get?

1. Beretta PX4 Storm

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. CZ 75B

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. CZ PO7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. M&P 9

16 vote(s)
    37.2%
  5. Ruger 89

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    I have narrowed the field down to several options, Beretta PX4 Storm F model, CZ75b, CZ PO7, Ruger 89 or an M&P9.
    Leaning towards the Beretta or CZ's but wanted input. I have not held the S&W, Ruger or PO7, but plan on seeing how they fit me. I am looking for input on accuracy , dependability and functionality. Mostly a truck GUN and some CC planned for this piece but mainly I want to get a lot of range time and practice. Accuracy is my main concern as I am wanting to REALLY improve in that area. So that being the case please cast your votes and pass on some info. Thanks in advance.
    John

2. newshooter1970

newshooter1970 Member

Feb 1, 2009
    I really like the M&P...easy to shoot and clean, not too expensive, excellent ergonomics on the grip. Accuracy is good for me with 6-7 inch groups @20 yds most of the time and much better @7yds. I can shoot this one handed with my weak hand and it is easy to manage. Maybe I should have got it in a 45 :-)

3. hoytinak

hoytinak Active Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    For a good "truck gun" you can't beat the Ruger P89, as they are reliable and tough but kinda heavy for a CCW. If it's more of a truck gun I'd go with the P89, If your going to carry it more, I'd say the Px4 then the M&P just cause they're lighter.

4. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I voted for the Beretta out of the choices only cause its the one I know the most. I say whatever you shoot comfortably and accurately, the gun for me, may not be the gun for you for various reasons

5. ColdDeadHands

ColdDeadHands Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    ever looked at the HK P2000 or Walther P99? both real nice guns.

6. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    No vote from me, and nothing wrong with the choices you listed, but since you asked opiinions, personally, none of those work for me. I like; (in no order) G19. XD or XDM, BHP, Sig, HK.

7. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Storm!

8. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Sig P226
    -Walther P99
    -H&K P30
    -H&K P9S
    -H&K P7
    -Sig P210

Those are pretty much all the 9mm's you could ever want or need. ;) At least one from my list is sure to leave you no longer caring about any other 9mm's.

In all seriousness though, out of your list I would choose either the M&P9 or the Beretta Px4 Storm.

Honestly, as far as accuracy goes, about 98-99% of handguns on the market are mechanically much more accurate than most humans are, or at least the average shooter. 9 times out of 10, accuracy issues can be boiled down to at least 1 of 2 things, either sight alignment or trigger pull issues. 99% of the time, in my experience, it's more likely an improper trigger pull is the issue. Check out this thread as I posted some drills to help improve on trigger pull:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...enter/3062-improving-your-skill-handguns.html

9. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Had the sig P220 but my father liked it a little more than I did.. LoL. Needless to say I don't have it anymore. Still like the 92FS but was wanting something that could be a tack driver in time. Will look into some of the other models but am trying to keep it at a reasonable budget so my wife doesn't kill me or make me buy more jewelery....

10. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Personally dont like the Storm, too big and bulky, out of the others up there, I have played with the CZ Phantom and I like it, just needs some trigger work out of the box. Good size, GREAT ammo capacity, and good feel... I like theway the slide fits inside the frame and it is pretty accurate. The one thing the Storm has going for it is the rotating barrel.....