• Ruger 89

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    I have narrowed the field down to several options, Beretta PX4 Storm F model, CZ75b, CZ PO7, Ruger 89 or an M&P9.
    Leaning towards the Beretta or CZ's but wanted input. I have not held the S&W, Ruger or PO7, but plan on seeing how they fit me. I am looking for input on accuracy , dependability and functionality. Mostly a truck GUN and some CC planned for this piece but mainly I want to get a lot of range time and practice. Accuracy is my main concern as I am wanting to REALLY improve in that area. So that being the case please cast your votes and pass on some info. Thanks in advance.
    John
    Texas SOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I really like the M&P...easy to shoot and clean, not too expensive, excellent ergonomics on the grip. Accuracy is good for me with 6-7 inch groups @20 yds most of the time and much better @7yds. I can shoot this one handed with my weak hand and it is easy to manage. Maybe I should have got it in a 45 :-)

hoytinak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas of course
    For a good "truck gun" you can't beat the Ruger P89, as they are reliable and tough but kinda heavy for a CCW. If it's more of a truck gun I'd go with the P89, If your going to carry it more, I'd say the Px4 then the M&P just cause they're lighter.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I voted for the Beretta out of the choices only cause its the one I know the most. I say whatever you shoot comfortably and accurately, the gun for me, may not be the gun for you for various reasons

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    No vote from me, and nothing wrong with the choices you listed, but since you asked opiinions, personally, none of those work for me. I like; (in no order) G19. XD or XDM, BHP, Sig, HK.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Sig P226
    -Walther P99
    -H&K P30
    -H&K P9S
    -H&K P7
    -Sig P210

Those are pretty much all the 9mm's you could ever want or need. ;) At least one from my list is sure to leave you no longer caring about any other 9mm's.

In all seriousness though, out of your list I would choose either the M&P9 or the Beretta Px4 Storm.

Honestly, as far as accuracy goes, about 98-99% of handguns on the market are mechanically much more accurate than most humans are, or at least the average shooter. 9 times out of 10, accuracy issues can be boiled down to at least 1 of 2 things, either sight alignment or trigger pull issues. 99% of the time, in my experience, it's more likely an improper trigger pull is the issue. Check out this thread as I posted some drills to help improve on trigger pull:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...enter/3062-improving-your-skill-handguns.html

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Had the sig P220 but my father liked it a little more than I did.. LoL. Needless to say I don't have it anymore. Still like the 92FS but was wanting something that could be a tack driver in time. Will look into some of the other models but am trying to keep it at a reasonable budget so my wife doesn't kill me or make me buy more jewelery....

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Personally dont like the Storm, too big and bulky, out of the others up there, I have played with the CZ Phantom and I like it, just needs some trigger work out of the box. Good size, GREAT ammo capacity, and good feel... I like theway the slide fits inside the frame and it is pretty accurate. The one thing the Storm has going for it is the rotating barrel.....

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't know much about the CZ's or the M&P, but I think the rugers are uglier than my glock, with about 3 more pounds. That being said, it never had a malfunction that wasn't opperator error. It was a pain to field strip, btw.

I like beretta's as a rule, but I haven't fired the PX4 yet.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Guess I should have thrown the XDM in there but when I carry I prefer double action with a decock to keep one in the tube with hammer down..... Just always been a requirement of mine.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    S & w mp 9

I voted for the MP 9. I have a 9mm CZ 75B that is a great pistol (heavy for ccw) , a F.S MP 40 caliber (good range & ccw), a MP 9c (great ccw) and a MP 9 Pro (very accurate range pistol). Love my MP's!!!

Any of the above, and many more, would be good for truck gun.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Any reason a nice used SIG P226/P228 or Glock 17 is not on the list?

Both are proven 9mms that are easily found for less money than any of those others are brand new and make great truck guns.

-Brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Get a CZ75B with the new Omega trigger. Damn good guns, and very accurate.

Off-hand I shot a fist sized group at 25 yards with the majority in a 2" hole. That's with my friends CZ75 SP01 Tactical which doesn't have the best trigger in the world by far. The new Omega triggers are much nicer.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Since the question of money was never discussed, I am going to give my 2 cents for what its worth. I love the Sig P226 in 9mm if you get one with the SRT trigger because regular factory Sig triggers are horrible, almost as bad as Glock factory triggers. Even if you find one that doesnt have one, you can get one put in for about $100. Another great choice which hasnt been brought up is the STI GP6. Great trigger right out of the box with an unbelievable reset and accurate as the day is long. Both would make great truck guns. With that being said, IMHO, I dont like to carry double stacks, just too bulky. If I were you, I would entertain one of the single stack 1911's like a Kimber, Para, STI, etc.... which would work in the truck and be a lot more comfortable to carry.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Since the question of money was never discussed, I am going to give my 2 cents for what its worth. I love the Sig P226 in 9mm if you get one with the SRT trigger because regular factory Sig triggers are horrible, almost as bad as Glock factory triggers. Even if you find one that doesnt have one, you can get one put in for about $100. Another great choice which hasnt been brought up is the STI GP6. Great trigger right out of the box with an unbelievable reset and accurate as the day is long. Both would make great truck guns. With that being said, IMHO, I dont like to carry double stacks, just too bulky. If I were you, I would entertain one of the single stack 1911's like a Kimber, Para, STI, etc.... which would work in the truck and be a lot more comfortable to carry.

Actually, there is literally no difference in the pull weight between Sig's standard triggers and their SRT. They both have a DA pull ~8# and SA pull ~4.5#. The only difference is the SRT has a reset of about ~3-4mm and the standard trigger is a significantly longer reset.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Sig, you are correct. To me, the standard reset on a Sig trigger is very long like the Glock. The SRT makes it a lot easier to stay on target.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The CZ-75 - best nine ever

I own both a cz75b(In SS finish) and an sw99(p99). The CZ is easily the most accurate semi-auto pistol I have ever shot(inc. beretta 92, sw 956?, glock, FN HP) from a rested position. Even using my cheapest reloads, the gun blows ragged holes in targets,functions and fires flawlessly every time. That being said, the sw99 is just as reliable(has ate up everything out there sans hiccups) but has never grouped as well for me even using premium ammo. I believe any hi-power based 9mm will always outshine the rest (i.e.FN,browning,CZ,Tanfoglio,etc.). Even though I have always shot Glocks and other poly-frame guns well, something has always felt right about a nice solid all-metal pistol. It also doubles nicely as a club when you run out of bullets. The P99 is a better CC gun but the CZ is sooooooo quality.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah, not a Glock fan at all. SIGs are OK had the p20 or 22 (not sure) and not a big fan of the 1911's either. Also CC is not a major concern as I have plenty of options already for that but always prefer double stacks. I have a S&W 626 I carry if needed and usually carry a Bersa thunder.380 plus(double stack) If single stack is enough I just carry the revolver..... Never understood 7 round automatics for carry, just me though. Reason I narrowed it down to these are these are the ones I want (not trying to sound like a smart ass) I have done the reasearch and held most and was just wanting input on what one you guys thought were best out of my selection and for what reasons. I tell you I have wanted the CZ and PX4 for awhile now but the more I rread about the Ruger the better it sounds. One of the things I liked is it is HARD to find anyone saying anything bad about these guns. Anyway it is way past my bedtime and I am ranting...lol. Thanks for the input all!!!

Top Bottom