Help me identify this rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by markfh, Jun 25, 2009.

1. markfh

markfh Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    I was the lucky recipient of a couple rifles. One I had no problem identirying but the other I have no clue. It has no brand name on it just the calliber and some markings on it. Here are a couple pictures of the rifle and the markings. Help me identify it if you can. Oh, that fuzzy white thing in the lower left corner of the first picture is my schnauzer. He likes guns too... : )

Attached Files:

2. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm probably wrong, but the first thing that comes to mind with that safety on it is that it's a rifle made by a company whose name rhymes with the kind of dog you have.

I want to say it's a 98 Sporter, but I'm not 100% on that.

3. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    clean that thing, or at least shave it... :happy0001: no clue as to what it is, but looks nice

4. Rifleman55

Rifleman55 Member

Jul 17, 2008
    That is a sporterized 98 mauser, It may or not be a military. it is possible that the date of manufacture and the makers name may be on the reciever under the scope mount.

5. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    My guess is commercial mauser.

6. drj3828

drj3828 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I think it is a military that has been sportirized(sp), it still has the stripper clip guide on the reciever in front of the rear scope base.

7. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good eye.

As far as a place of origin, it's really hard to tell. 98 Mausers were very standardized, the most I can tell from the pictures is that it's a large ring long action (.30-06 caliber).

8. markfh

markfh Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the info. I knew it was a mauser just was hoping that the mrakings might be recognized. I'll take the scope mounts off and see if there's anything there.

I'll also shave it while apart the next time... :cool:

9. cowboy45

cowboy45 Active Member

May 1, 2008
    mexia texas

That was a good one about rhyming with the dog. And yes I agree with the ID, country of origin is another matter. could be spanish,argentine,etc. There may be other proofs on there somewhere.:texas:

10. brickboy240

brickboy240 Active Member

May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Yep...most likely it is a sporterized 98 Mauser large ring action. Designed for the 8x57mm round (not the 30-06).

Country of origin? Most likely it is German, Czech or FN Belgian. The Austrians did make some large ring 98s for South American contracts (Brazil) as did the Germans but some research on any proof marks on the action's parts would help. Spanish Mausers were small ring rifles based on the 93 Mauser action - very different animals.

Most other Mauser military arms made for Mexico and South/Central American countries were 7mm versions built on small ring actions. They look somewhat different than the rifle in these photos.

Yep...if I had to guess, its a German or Czech large ring military Mauser action. I own several and can spot them quite easily.

- brickboy240