• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    I was the lucky recipient of a couple rifles. One I had no problem identirying but the other I have no clue. It has no brand name on it just the calliber and some markings on it. Here are a couple pictures of the rifle and the markings. Help me identify it if you can. Oh, that fuzzy white thing in the lower left corner of the first picture is my schnauzer. He likes guns too... : )
    Guns International

Attachments

• 30-06.jpg
      30-06.jpg
      3.1 KB · Views: 319
    • 30-06-1.jpg
      30-06-1.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 313
    • 30-06-5.jpg
      30-06-5.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 390
    • 30-06-4.jpg
      30-06-4.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 303
    • 30-06-3.jpg
      30-06-3.jpg
      38.5 KB · Views: 311

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm probably wrong, but the first thing that comes to mind with that safety on it is that it's a rifle made by a company whose name rhymes with the kind of dog you have.

I want to say it's a 98 Sporter, but I'm not 100% on that.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    That is a sporterized 98 mauser, It may or not be a military. it is possible that the date of manufacture and the makers name may be on the reciever under the scope mount.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it is a military that has been sportirized(sp), it still has the stripper clip guide on the reciever in front of the rear scope base.

Good eye.

As far as a place of origin, it's really hard to tell. 98 Mausers were very standardized, the most I can tell from the pictures is that it's a large ring long action (.30-06 caliber).

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks for the info. I knew it was a mauser just was hoping that the mrakings might be recognized. I'll take the scope mounts off and see if there's anything there.

I'll also shave it while apart the next time... :cool:

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    I'm probably wrong, but the first thing that comes to mind with that safety on it is that it's a rifle made by a company whose name rhymes with the kind of dog you have.

I want to say it's a 98 Sporter, but I'm not 100% on that.

That was a good one about rhyming with the dog. And yes I agree with the ID, country of origin is another matter. could be spanish,argentine,etc. There may be other proofs on there somewhere.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Yep...most likely it is a sporterized 98 Mauser large ring action. Designed for the 8x57mm round (not the 30-06).

Country of origin? Most likely it is German, Czech or FN Belgian. The Austrians did make some large ring 98s for South American contracts (Brazil) as did the Germans but some research on any proof marks on the action's parts would help. Spanish Mausers were small ring rifles based on the 93 Mauser action - very different animals.

Most other Mauser military arms made for Mexico and South/Central American countries were 7mm versions built on small ring actions. They look somewhat different than the rifle in these photos.

Yep...if I had to guess, its a German or Czech large ring military Mauser action. I own several and can spot them quite easily.

- brickboy240

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    I believe that although it was originally designed for the 8x57 this is chambered in 30-06.

A guy on another forum said he was pretty sure it's an FN action. He has one and it's exactly like this one.

No matter, it's a mauser and I'll probably sell it.
    Thanks all

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Is there some trickery afoot by the manufacturer or .....

The caliber is stamped on the barrel. It's not that hard to change the barrel on a Mauser (which is exactly what someone did, along with the stock). With an action wrench and some muscle, you can just unscrew the barrel.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    i didnt know about the whole elbow greasing the mauser but i was putting that cause he was talking bout it not being for a 30-06 and so i guessed that some photoshop was in use within the picture.

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    i didnt know about the whole elbow greasing the mauser but i was putting that cause he was talking bout it not being for a 30-06 and so i guessed that some photoshop was in use within the picture.

Photoshop? I might wipe that pimple off your forehead but never screw with a gun picture. That would just be wrong...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Nope. Someone just swapped the barrel out. Photoshop would have been easier, but a lot less effective at the range.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    double damnit!
    good job on that one.
    have a quick draw holster for your wallet ;)

Top Bottom