• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Ok let me first off tell you my situation, This is more about lifestyle and what I'm comfortable with.

I'm 22 I just got my CWP in November. I have been carrying in a Crossbreed Supertuck and LOVE IT. I dress appropriately when carrying I'm very concerned with printing and being 100% concealed in my day to day carrying.

I carry my XD 45c. Now this is where my questions and concerns come in. I'm a some what big guy. I'm 6'5" 205-215lbs. So I can conceal a larger fire arm rather easily. But I live down in SC where the summers are ridiculously hot and the heat can start from anywhere from March and lasting well into November. Now that is no different for you Texans I'm sure.

Now that you see my situation here are my concerns.

First Question/Concern:
    I do & don't like some aspects of my XD. I don't like the trigger. I don't like it at ALL! It is spongy and has a ton of slack. Now with that said, I've learned to shoot it very well (just don't like the trigger). Now I know I can get a kit from PRP or Springer and fix that in a snap. So no worries. I love the size of it for my big fat hands it is just right in the "medium" frame category I was looking for.

My solutions for this are getting the grip stippled (more grip and just want to) and a Powder River Precision trigger. SO I think I can get over the fact of "not" liking it by doing these mods to it.

Second Question Concern
    Now in the summer I'm worried about carrying concealed. I usually wear a t-shirt and some shorts and shoes or flip flops. My concern is in the summer how comfortable is the XD gonna be and how well can I conceal it in the CBST. I think my goal is to wear something like a fishing shirt on the outside with my t-shirt. So it is concealed yet I'm still comfortable and not sweating my ass off

Should I sell the XD to get a smaller gun to carry. But I was thinking about getting a small gun like a Bodyguard 380 or 38. Not the LCP or LCR because I don't like the way the sit in my hands. I'm really considering a 1911 commander with a alum. frame for CC.

My biggest thing is for my region light clothes are the norm 80% of the year. I'm just looking for advice on what to do in my current situation. I like the XD but not in love with it. I've been raised shooting 1911s and working on them myself whether it was frame/slide fit or triggers. So I'm used to a smooth shooting light trigger gun.

Now I don't wanna sound like I just don't "want to" carry. But at the same time I want to be somewhat comfortable. I know carrying a gun is a huge responsibility and I don't take it lightly. I want to do everything I can to do it safely and be able to protect myself or others when the time comes.

Thanks for listening/reading any input or opinions are welcome
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    First off, a concealed carry gun should be comforting, not comfortable.

That being said, I carry my G27 in the front because it is easier to conceal for me, and easier to keep my eye on (make sure I am not printing or shirt hung up on the grip or something). At work I can't carry it (construction with a tool belt, not because of legal reasons), but I always have a NAA mini revolver on me. That is enough to keep me feeling secure, as I have something that will get me back to my truck for bigger firepower. It is much better than the pointy stick I used to carry. I don't even notice it in my pocket anymore.

Usually it is the weight of the gun that makes it uncomfortable. Trading the XD for a similiar sized (weight) gun won't help you much. To be more comfortable, you will have to carry a gun that is even harder to shoot than the XD, think LCP/ LCR type guns. As far as comfort goes, think carried alot and shot a little.

Yes, I'd like to carry my AR concealed, but it isn't really practical, so we have to make concessions. That is the same problem faced by everyone that carries concealed, and we each have our own way to deal with it.

Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Good points, I sort of like the XD. It has plenty of firepower and I can conceal it well with a light coat or sweatshirt this time of year. My biggest concern is how to conceal it in warm weather.

More and More I think about it, I'm not liking the idea of a pocket gun. Because of what you said Dawico, they would be even harder to shoot. Hmmmm....I've gotta think about this some more.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I'm 6'3", 235 or so, and carry a Para P-12 in a Don Hume IWB holster for 90% of my carry. Dress is mostly jeans and an untucked pullover shirt. Never been made, even with closeup encounter with LEOs. When I wear a shirt with tails, a bellyband works for me. Slower access, but it is still there.
    I don't like pocket carry, doesn't work for me.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Pocket gun:

cons: slower to produce, maybe harder to shoot, less firepower (fewer rounds, maybe inferior caliber)

pros: Easy to carry, near zero chance of being "made", don't have to buy new clothes to accommodate gun.

Mid or full size gun:

cons: can be awkward to carry, heavy, might need to buy bigger pants or shirts.

pros: if you get in a gunfight you'll be very happy you didn't go with the pocket gun.

I carry either. I know I should carry the Glock 19 all the time but my PM9 looks real nice when it's 102 outside.

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Howdy Carolinaboy!
    I also love the Crossbreed Supertuck and it is exactly what I use for the hot summers here in Austin where we have triple digit temperatures for about a month and a half. What I did is take medium sand paper to the back of the holster to smooth out the raw leather. This prevents it from chafing the bare skin of my hip when I don’t have a T-shirt tucked in. I then wear a T-shirt one size too big with my jeans or shorts. The T-shirt should be medium to heavy cotton material, avoid the ultra thin stuff. Using this method I can easily conceal a Khar CW9 and I’m only 5’ 4” and weigh 140lbs. As long as you don’t bend over you don’t print. Best way to make sure you don’t print is look at yourself in the mirror. Bend this way and that and see what movements you need to avoid. For me I just have to remember to either take a knee instead of bending over or I bend over with one arm across my lower back to cover the firearm. (FYI, I’ve carried 24/7 for over a year now and have never been caught printing)
    If your XD is a little too large and print’s too easily with this configuration, I’d suggest looking at the Khar CW9, CW40 or CW45. They’re a good size and slim but not too small like the Ruger LCP. (I sometimes carry a LCP this way or as a pocket gun) They’re also dependable, inexpensive and very accurate.
    Good luck and be safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    Carolinaboy,

I'm pretty new to the CHL thing too, and have found that WIDTH of the gun is more an issue then size. My full size 1911 is easier to conceal then my glock 19 simply because it hugs my kidney area better. This summer I bought an lcp and with a pocket holster, it fits right in any pocket of any shorts I own. I know you'll get a ton of 'not enough gun' talk but here's my thinking.

A: For the 45 years of my life prior to having a CHL I relied on common sense to avoid confrontations and dangerous situations in the first place and that hasn't changed now that I have my CHL.

B: The purpose of me carrying a weapon isn't to wipe out a small village, but to fend off an (unlikely) attack well enough to get myself and my family to safety. An LCP .380 will do just that, and I have zero excuse for not carrying; something I feel is a responsibility as long as I have the license to do so.

Lastly, I too am paranoid about printing, but as many on here have told me.....have YOU made anyone? It's pretty easy to conceal if you put a little thought into it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    I carry 24/7, an XD45c 5" in a CBST (horsehide) and I'm 6'4" 250lbs. I have for the past year. Maybe my spare tire helps conceal it but either way I have no issues year round. I drive a pickup and no issues there either.

I work in a casual office so I can wear shorts and in the summer I'm usually sporting cargo shorts and in cooler times I'm in jeans. No issues at all. If you don't already have a quality belt, it makes all the difference. I own a couple Crossbreed belts and have a couple of "Double Duty" belts from Cabelas on the way (they are on sale and have heard good things about them). I also always have some sort of undershirt which helps with the taming of all the sweat on those 100+ days. In the summer it's a wife beater and in the winter some sort of crew or v-neck but very light either way. My T's and button ups are just the right size where it doesn't look like I'm wearing my big or little bother's shirt.

I carry at about 3-3:30 with some forward cant and just the right depth where I'm comfortable and comforted :)

This configuration works for me and regarding printing, I don't worry about it too much. On me, the grip doesn't look any different than some guy's knives, phones or multi-tools on their hip and that's if it prints at all.

I'm a bit attached to my XD and have tried carrying my wife's Glock 23 but I don't get that same "warm" feeling and I literally just bought a Glock 27 yesterday specifically for times where the XD just won't work.

Not sure if any of this helps but my suggestion is to make sure you like shooting whatever it is you decide to carry everyday. I love shooting my XD (not how much it costs to shoot) and I "like" shooting the wife's 23. I have only shot a 27 a few times but also know it's not a primary carry.

BTW, after my first 1,000 rounds, I installed a Springer Precision trigger which made all the difference to me. I have also added a solid stainless guide rod (maybe only available for the 5") which makes it a bit heavier but still have no issues with EDC.

Good luck

Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Thanks Guys! I think I'm gonna keep it. I carried it today and I'm really glad to have a mid size gun rather than a pocket gun.

I have a few underarmour fishing shirts that are light and comfortable and just the right length. I think I'm gonna start wearing those instead of just t-shirts

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Why not buy a smaller gun for those super hot days? I have a Kel-Tec Pf-9 I carry as a primary on rare occasions. Loaded with 9mm+P it's quite a pocket rocket! Makes an excellent BUG at all other times.

Guns are like shoes- none do it all so it's best to have several.

Carolinaboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    South Carolina
    Why not buy a smaller gun for those super hot days? I have a Kel-Tec Pf-9 I carry as a primary on rare occasions. Loaded with 9mm+P it's quite a pocket rocket! Makes an excellent BUG at all other times.

Guns are like shoes- none do it all so it's best to have several.

I looked at a buddy's SKYY 9mm which he said was the same as a Kel-Tec pretty much. I liked the feel of it and the weight of it and the overall feel. That is a option for sure

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    There is a reason why most of people who carry most of the time have a "collection" of CHL handguns and holsters.

Sometimes one set up isn't best for all circomstances.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've used a Blackhawk SERPA holster with a Columbia PFG shirt, and IWB holsters. Honestly, I could care less if I am printing, most people are oblivious and I've never had a problem with it.

If you are T-Shirt carrying, I would recommend a big baggier and heavier material as the wind can kick up the shirt pretty easily. I don't mind printing, but I don't like the idea of my shirt flying around exposing my handgun for the world to take notice.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    Add one more to the suggestion of adding another gun. I also have found that when I cannot or will not carry a full size auto that a Titanium or Scandium 38 in the pants/shorts pocket works great. I am not a fan of pocket autos. Seen too many fail/jam with the first round. If carrying a pocket auto you must, I repeat, MUST be religious about regular cleaning and lubrication.

That being said, one of my local shops has a "pre-distribution" Kimber pocket 9mm. It is a sweet little auto.

With the hot summers and not liking the XD trigger you may want to consider looking at a compact or subcompact Smith M&P. They have a polymer frame and stainless slide, adjustable grip inserts and you can purchase extended mags so your reloads carry the same # of rounds as a full size.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom