• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Shorts,
    Have you decided what to get yet? When you do decide and get a chance to shoot it, take some pics and give us a range report. We're all interested in how this turns out for you.

Wishing the best for ya'.

I haven't decided yet. I've got a good list to go through. We're not back from overseas until Superbowl weekend so I won't have a decision before them.

I'll certainly get a full report up once I get a chance to take the lucky rifle out
    Hurley's Gold

Jeffenwulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    San Angelo
    Keep in mind that anything AR based is almost impossible to find right now.

I'd also like to comment on the Tikka T3. I've got a .270 bolt and I have to believe it kicks harder than anything else I own. The 7.62x54R and .308 that I have seem light in comparison. With the limbsaver it's ok to shoot, but nothing I'd enjoy spending much time firing.

When I was a kid I had a Ruger .44 carbine that I loved. They stopped making them in the 80's, but they can still be found on the auction sites. It's a semi, it's light, it's got short barrel for easy movement, it's pretty accurate, and a .44 mag certainly takes down just about anything. The biggest downside is that the range is limited.

My dad lost his arm below the elbow about 30 years ago. This Ruger was one of the best guns for him to hunt whitetails with ... though as a manly man he had to move back up to 30.06 anyway.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Keep in mind that anything AR based is almost impossible to find right now.

I'd also like to comment on the Tikka T3. I've got a .270 bolt and I have to believe it kicks harder than anything else I own. The 7.62x54R and .308 that I have seem light in comparison. With the limbsaver it's ok to shoot, but nothing I'd enjoy spending much time firing.

When I was a kid I had a Ruger .44 carbine that I loved. They stopped making them in the 80's, but they can still be found on the auction sites. It's a semi, it's light, it's got short barrel for easy movement, it's pretty accurate, and a .44 mag certainly takes down just about anything. The biggest downside is that the range is limited.

My dad lost his arm below the elbow about 30 years ago. This Ruger was one of the best guns for him to hunt whitetails with ... though as a manly man he had to move back up to 30.06 anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm glad you mentioned the Ruger .44 carbine. I have seen a few on the auction sites and have wondered if it would be a good option, they do look capable. I have never shot a .44 mag so I have no idea what it would feel like recoil wise.

Jeffenwulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    San Angelo
    When I was hunting with it I was about 120 pounds or so and the recoil was really tame. It should be a complete non-issue. I'm 200 now, so I'd guess that the recoil of that Tikka is far worse. I think it holds 4 rounds in an integral magazine if I remember correctly and has a flip up rear sight.

I grew up in southwest Wisconsin where we have trees and hills everywhere. The Ruger was a perfect brush gun with open sights. Short, light, and had a heavy bullet that crashes through brush rather than deflecting. You also have a wide range of ammunition choices, including hollow points.

The ballistics turn to junk after 200 yards and inside 100-150 is best. For some reason I can't get to Chuck Hawk's recoil table today, but when the site is working correctly you can use it to get a decent comparison between different guns. Good luck in your rifle hunt!

Top Bottom