• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Hey guys, I'd eventually like a rifle of my own once and for all (can't always use Dad's) :p But my needs are pretty specific and I'm all ears on suggestions.

First my "important" specs, so to speak:

- 5'3" female, kinda boney, works out/stays active
    - has no use of left arm/hand

Rifle I'm looking for:

- caliber needs to handle: whitetail (primary game; doe and bucks), coyotes, bobcats/mountain lions, pigs ...ie, the likely suspects when out in the brush or stand (sidearm will be carried as well)

- semiauto: more of a need than a want. no use of my left am makes successive follow up shots difficult, slow, & cumbersome, unless on a stand

- weight of rifle: as light as possible. I do not want to be confined to using a bipod. I need to be able to shoulder when on the ground. The lighter the better; light 6lbs is ideal

- length of pull/stock: I feel pretty comfortable using youth size rifles.

- barrel length: the shorter, the easier it is to shoulder and balance with one arm...con: shorter barrel may influence accuracy

I've got a pretty short list of semi auto rifles I found here: Top Guide Picks - Top 5 Semi-Automatic Deer/Big Game Hunting Rifles

This list really limits my choices, I know that. If I went shopping like normal I'd probably take home a Remington Model Seven Youth .243 or a Ruger M77 Mark II Ultra Light .243.

Off the cuff, what do you guys think? Am I over analyzing what I need? Am I missing important info? Just toss me your thoughts. I've never been adverse to 'figuring things out' and getting creative. Before the accident and growing up I was a pretty dang good athlete and still do where I can, so mentally, it's always "I'll win" ;)
    Venture Surplus ad

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    First thing that comes to my mind is an AR in 7.62 NATO with a 16 1/2" barrel... fluted if you want it even lighter. Good caliber, light weight, semi-auto, can use with, or without a bipod. If you want you can have it on a tactical three point sling that will keep it tight in the shoulder when firing, and within easy access when slung.

You can also go with the 6.8 SPC if you want a lighter intermediate round

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Interesting. I haven't shot much less handled one but you've peaked my curiosity. I'm going to do some googling!

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I think that an AR is a good choice here. I would consider getting the standard 5.56 caliber. Some will say that it would be light for bucks, however with quality ammo and good shot placement, it won't be a problem. It is also probably the biggest game that you'd want to take with that caliber.

And, since it would be 5.56, replacement parts, ammo, etc. would be cheaper than buying a different caliber.

Just my .02

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Shorts, the first thing that comes to mind is designing a sling setup that you can tension. Ie. removing the rear swivel and standing on the sling, pulling up with your arm. That would help you in the accuracy department, and may open up some choices.

I would look into a Tikka T3 Lite or a Weatherby Vanguard, both are incredibly light bolt-guns.

In semi-auto I'd look into a Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F ... it's 4.3 lbs unloaded / 5.3 lbs loaded (30 Rounds), 16" 1:9 stainless barrel, and has the sling adapters pre-installed.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I know the post is few days old, however I thought I could add something to it.

I like the idea of the Browning Bar or any of the more traditional Autos if your main use is going to be hunting.

As far as calibers I would think the following would work well.

270 is a good all around caliber and available at most shops. You can also get reduced recoil loads for it.

7mm08 is another good choice and has less recoil. A little harder to find. You may find something lighter in this chambering.

All are good rounds with good range and trajectory. I would avoid using it as a primary for large bears, other than that you should be good to go for most game in the lower 48. Just be reasonable in the shots you take.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    No worries on the date of the post. I'm always up for receiving good suggestions.

Alan, interesting idea about the sling. I had not thought of it that way, but it makes sense. One other option I have considered is a mono-pod type setup, but that runs from the rifle fore stock and down to my waistline/hip. Of course, that is not without its hurdles either.

I will take a look at the Tikka3 and Weatherby Vanguard.

Fisherman, I have taken a look at the BAR rifles and the Rem 750. My concern with them is they are heavier than I wanted, and the barrel lengths are 22". The BAR would still need a scope and the Remy as well, though I'm sure I'm stubborn enough to try the iron sights

Edit after looking at Tikka 3:

Its a reasonably priced rifle w/ traditional looks. And for nearly a 22" barrel, its sure light at 6.1lbs. Interesting rifle.

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Edit after looking at Tikka 3:

Its a reasonably priced rifle w/ traditional looks. And for nearly a 22" barrel, its sure light at 6.1lbs. Interesting rifle.

Shorts, after reading your posts, I though I'd chime in. Considering your condition I am thinking weight and handling are your biggest concerns, yes?

If so, the Tikka and Rugger M77 lights are nice options if you're not bent on a semi-auto/"assault" style rifle. I had the same concerns wanting a GP rifle that wouldn't kill me carrying it around and I bought a CZ 527 carbine in .223 recently. It will be a quick, easy scoped rifle for general varminting and such..........weighs in at around 6 pounds w/o scope.

Just my $.02's worth and good luck!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Joe, yup, weight and handling are my biggest concerns. Those will directly affect how accurate I can be especially when standing and shouldering for a shot (unsupported for stock). I'm not set on an AR, just taking in my options so I can select the best rifle I can.

The reason for the semiauto loading was to simplify any subsequent shots I might need.

But, I think there's a catch 22 sort of relationship there. If I shoot accurately in the first place, it should reduce the chances of needing additional shots. Like my Dad jokes, "Why do I have to buy a whole box, I just need one bullet"....ummhmmmm sure Dad

You said you picked up a CZ, that reminds me. I once, and very breifly ran across a CZ in a shop that was actually fairly light and seemed to be in the same category as a Ruger M77 MarkII. But I never caught the model #. Are you familiar with CZ rifles?

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 and I would recommend them to anyone. The action is nice and smooth, I've got my trigger set down to 2 lbs and it's easy to shoot.

If you would rather have a semi-auto, I've shot a Remington and it was a good shooter. I know both the Tikka and the Remington are available in .243.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Unless I could actually see you shoot, and understand exactly what your limitations are, making a suggestion is pretty uninformed.

I would scope what ever you get, even if you go with a holoscope{Eotech comes to mind} as you want good target picture and clean kills.

Good luck in your search and if you are in the Austin area, I shoot at Lone Star Gun Range, and could let you try a few different types of rifles.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Unless I could actually see you shoot, and understand exactly what your limitations are, making a suggestion is pretty uninformed.

I would scope what ever you get, even if you go with a holoscope{Eotech comes to mind} as you want good target picture and clean kills.

Good luck in your search and if you are in the Austin area, I shoot at Lone Star Gun Range, and could let you try a few different types of rifles.

Take your left hand, put it in your pocket. Shoulder a rifle with your right hand :p Ok, its not that limited, I have a little shoulder and elbow function, but no hand motor function.

I'm just poking at ya - but you're right. I can't get a completely sure reading about a rifle or how it will do until I get to try each one in hand. And its exactly why I'm not buying one online lol Taking suggestions is merely that, taking suggestions. I do this alot, it's been pretty beneficial to have outside ideas rather than be contained to only mine. Even though it's my particular situation, I'm also limited to my immediate point of view.

There are a lot of rifles I haven't ever handled. Thanks for the offer at the range.

You think rifles are tricky, guys should see me try to pick motorcycles

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have a friend named "One Armed Ray" who rides a custom Harley.

Niice I think more and more of us Tripods are coming out of the woodwork. There's some Bipods out there on the roads as well. can't keep stubborn folks down!

JoeinTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    You said you picked up a CZ, that reminds me. I once, and very breifly ran across a CZ in a shop that was actually fairly light and seemed to be in the same category as a Ruger M77 MarkII. But I never caught the model #. Are you familiar with CZ rifles?

I am somewhat. I handled a few CZs, found them intoxicatingly light and handy, my champion-shooting dad has become a serious fan, spent some time reading-up on them, and then decided it was going to be my next rifle. They are European in design and function....safety works in the opposite direction, more classic lines, great woodworking, etc. I bought a CS 527 Carbine.

One issue, as I sit here and type, is your ability to cycle a bolt-action considering your physical condition. Is that a problem or have you worked out a method for it and how big of a reason is this when you are considering semi vs. bolt?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply.

The reason for the semiauto loading was to simplify any subsequent shots I might need. I haven't shot a bolt action that wasn't supported on a bag or stand so in that regards I can cycle the bolt (not counting BB/pellet gun :p). I'm going to need to run through some options to see what would work best as far as technique goes for an unsupported rifle. But I won't know exactly how until I get my hands on one and probably a well-rigged sling.

That is going to be an experiment I suppose.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    I've been following this thread since it first came up. I came up with an idea that might work for you, Shorts.

Ruger makes a Mini 14 which used to be only in .223 cal. Now they also make a 6.8 cal which would be very good for deer. I was going to suggest a Remington or Browning in .243, but I think the Ruger might be a good choice. Its a short, light and very dependable rifle. ALSO and very important, is that Ruger has made some changes to the Mini 14 platform and has made it much more accurate than prior models had been.

I have a Mini 14 in .223 and it is one of my favorite guns.

Here's a link to some info from Ruger:

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles  Autoloading Rifles

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've been following this thread since it first came up. I came up with an idea that might work for you, Shorts.

Ruger makes a Mini 14 which used to be only in .223 cal. Now they also make a 6.8 cal which would be very good for deer. I was going to suggest a Remington or Browning in .243, but I think the Ruger might be a good choice. Its a short, light and very dependable rifle. ALSO and very important, is that Ruger has made some changes to the Mini 14 platform and has made it much more accurate than prior models had been.

I have a Mini 14 in .223 and it is one of my favorite guns.

Here's a link to some info from Ruger:

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifles & Mini Thirty Rifles *Autoloading*Rifles

Hmm, I was wondering if this one would be suggested. I have Googled the 6.8SPC and it looks like it has excellent ballistics for deer. I do like the range of the 6.8SPC as opposed to the .223. I started looking at that caliber in an AR as suggested above. Weight isn't bad either. In fact, significantly less than the Browning BAR. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Outdoor Wire: Ruger Announces New All-Weather Ranch Rifle Chambered In 6.8 SPC

2Many

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I am surprised that no one has recomended looking at the new Remington R 25. Built on an AR style platform it can be had in .243, 7mm-08 and .308. Has a 20" barrel but might be a little heavy at 8.75 lbs. I personally like 7mm-08 and have a model 7 in that caliber that I have almost exclusively used for deer for 15 years. My 12 yo son shoots a model 7 in .243. If you can handle the weight and price the R 25 may be worth a look.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Shorts,
    Have you decided what to get yet? When you do decide and get a chance to shoot it, take some pics and give us a range report. We're all interested in how this turns out for you.

Wishing the best for ya'.

Top Bottom