• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ok here's the deal.

I have time warner internet. Their installed modem. With a netgear wireless router. With a Roku to the television. Good connections between all of it, thats not wireless.

I have to reset the modem(sometimes) every 15mins. Somedays it doesn't have to be reset but twice in about 11hrs. Resetting the modem along with the router doesn't help the signal.

The signal light on the router go's from a high rate of flashing(when it's working good) to a constant when I lose signal and have to reset the damn thing.

Whats the likley cause? Is it the netgear or the modem? Or is it a TW issue?

Is there any way I can test for the problem?
    Texas SOT

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I think it's honestly an issue with time warner, ours seems to go out pretty often and the cable will glitch every now and then. When the internet goes down I'll try and reset the modem and router and that works about 75% of the time but the other times I usually just have to say screw it and wait it out when it decides to eventually start working again.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Do the devices that are plugged into the router also lose the net?
    If so, then it's most likely a modem issue.
    If not, then try changing the channel that the wireless signal goes out on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Do the devices that are plugged into the router also lose the net?
    If so, then it's most likely a modem issue.
    If not, then try changing the channel that the wireless signal goes out on.

Yes< all devises lose signal. When the comp loses the signal, roku and cell phone wifi go down.

How do I change the channel? Its a model WNR2000 netgear. All it has is a button that auto searches on the front.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had that same modem for a while and had problems with it seeming to shut off the Internet for
    Time to time. Switched to a WNDR3400 and I have had very few problems, only goes down when the satellite loses signal. The old one would sometimes kick the laptop off when the iPod connected and thing like that. Or cut everyone off altogether and have to be reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SchH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    New Braunfels
    Had the same problem here.
    I have Time Warner/earthlink, for the first few months the dam belkin router would lock up every few days, reboot the router and it came back up.
    Figured the router was bad so I put in a Linksys RV042 VPN route.
    That worked better but still got lockups every few weeks.
    I do a lot of work over the net and my phone lines are all Voip so I cant be having that sh**.
    It looks to me to be some kind of a issue with the Eartklink DNS servers.
    Changed routers again to a Mikrotik RB751 and I haven't been down going on 5 months.
    Don't know if your having the same issues but that's what worked for me.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I used to have the same problem, but using an Ethernet cable solved most of my problems -- it might be your computer's wireless card that causes problems, or an incorrectly configured setting on the router, especially if you didn't know what you were doing when configuring the settings with the install disk. Even so, I'll say that it still never fixed my Xbox 360 for some reason; my connection speed literally dive-bombed for some reason back in 2007 and never recovered for reasons they could never explain, and that was WITH a cable. Now I can't seem to play anything without 2-3 second lag, and XBL said it wasn't their problem, so I blame it on something TWC did. I live in a 300+ house subdivision, so I wouldn't doubt they split up our bandwidth among everyone else on our frigging street. I don't like TWC at all, but I heard AT&T is much worse... And I don't feel like paying $200 a month for high speed internet from TWC either.

For what it's worth, I have a WRT54G wireless router upstairs and a WRT54 wireless router downstairs daisy chained to the one upstairs, configured to act as a 4-port wireless switch for other devices. We get wireless signal

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    do you have other wireless devices in the house ? Camera , phone etc. The signals could be conflicting you might need to move the router to a different channel. You should be able to get to the config by a ip address. It will be in the router manual .

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Had tons of issues with TW internet using a Netgear router. I had to reset it at least once a week. In fact, I did it so often, I kept a paperclip sitting on the router for when I had to reset it. Sometimes that didn't work either. I would have to unplug it, then take the battery backup out of it. What a pain that TW thing was.

I have now had Verizon FIOS for a little over a year, and the only time I had an issue is when my son accidently unplugged the thing. And, its MUCH faster than my old TW setup.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    do you have other wireless devices in the house ? Camera , phone etc. The signals could be conflicting you might need to move the router to a different channel. You should be able to get to the config by a ip address. It will be in the router manual .

We do, but that wasn't the problem. My laptop was literally only about 6 feet away from the router at all times; same thing for the Xbox but it was ALREADY hooked up with a cable. In either case, they're set 6 channels apart to keep from conflicting.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    First thing, stand the router and modem on edge to let more air flow around it. I have had heat issues with those pieces of equipment quite often. Second, cable modems are funny. They can have TOO much signal coming in and it will cause the modems to crap out often. Usually the whole thing though. They actually had to stick a splitter in my line to add resistance to the signal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I download new/updated firmware and now it runs perfect. It hasn't lost signal since the upgrade. Nothing else was changed.

Top Bottom