• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    The price of the Colt LE6920 isn't worth it right now, so I want to build one similar but the best my budget can afford. I don't know much about ARs but I want to take advantage of Black Friday deals.

Is anyone willing to put together a parts list? Do I need certain tools? Links to the parts would be great as well. Thank you all in advance.
    DK Firearms

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    The price of the Colt LE6920 isn't worth it right now, so I want to build one similar but the best my budget can afford. I don't know much about ARs but I want to take advantage of Black Friday deals.

Is anyone willing to put together a parts list? Do I need certain tools? Links to the parts would be great as well. Thank you all in advance.
    Welcome and Happy Thanksgiving.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Stuff in stock & decent value (even though prices have gone up considerably even since I built my last rifle a couple months ago), that I have personal experience with.

Good upper, CHF barrel... https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...eissele-13-mk14-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html $700
    Lower of your choice. I like the markings on this one. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-m4-carbine-stripped-lower-receiver.html $115
    I like the Magpul CTR stock and the PSA EPT trigger. https://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-magpul-ctr-ept-lower-build-kit-black.html $190
    Toolcraft BCG. https://palmettostatearmory.com/too...nitride-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html $170

Add a charging handle of your choice and an optic & you're good to go.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If you are serious about building it the list a few post above mine is a good list. But with your $1200.00 budget you can buy one already built. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    If you are serious about building it the list a few post above mine is a good list. But with your $1200.00 budget you can buy one already built. Just saying.

I know I could but i want to squeeze as much value out of $1200 as I can and from what I understand, building would be the besto achieve that. Also, I need a new project to work on.

Would this CMMG be good and is it priced well for what you get?

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    CMMG makes good stuff. Personally if I was gonna get one of theirs, I’d do a 300 in a Cerakote finish, probably white but maybe Bazooka Green... I just think it makes their stuff really stand out.

If going black, the 200 is the better choice.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    What kind of rifle are you trying to build? I like 18 and 20" but they are bench guns. I also have a 24" but it's not a versatile as an old fashioned 16" carbine. I doubt you'll ever shoot out a cheaper barrel and if you do they're cheap to replace.

I have a couple dpms oracle's I'm listing soon but I'll be asking $800. If you are thinking lightweight maybe a faxon pinned and welded barrel is in order. Anyhow, you've got options galore but most start with a carbine and shoot them often.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    You have the right idea on building an AR to your needs. I prefer to spend a little more on barrel and trigger

barrel Ballistic Advantage 223 wylde midlength gas
    comp Miculek 5.56
    trigger CMC (Primary Arms have them on sale plus LPK with no FCG) I prefer ATC
    upper/lower forged and what's cheap ie Anderson, Aero Percision ect
    handguard ALG Defense (sister company f Geissele
    BCG I've build several with AIM
    Stock I'm a Magpul STR kinda guy
    grip Hogue
    CH bravo company Large

Last edited:

beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    What kind of rifle are you trying to build? I like 18 and 20" but they are bench guns. I also have a 24" but it's not a versatile as an old fashioned 16" carbine. I doubt you'll ever shoot out a cheaper barrel and if you do they're cheap to replace.

Something equivalent to the Colt 6920 but better if I can. I want to get as much AR as I can for $1200.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I know I could but i want to squeeze as much value out of $1200 as I can and from what I understand, building would be the besto achieve that. Also, I need a new project to work on.

Would this CMMG be good and is it priced well for what you get?

I get it. But that is a good rifle from cmmg. I have used cmmg parts kits for my rifles. As far as the uppers and lowers I have aero precision, spikes tactical, seekins (matched set), and PSA. I get your wanting to build. You have total control of all the parts that go into it. That’s why I did it and because I like to build stuff with my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I agree that building your own can be rewarding. However, some issues are not that easy to overcome. I bought a 20" ballistic advantage sdm barrel last year and it short stroked until I opened up the gas port. Oversizing a tiny hole without touching the rifling and keeping the hole clean and perpendicular can be touchy.

I've also had a few builds that wouldn't run reliably on a carbine lower. It can all be overcome but it's a real downer to get that far only to have to dis and re assemble in a different config. If you are sticking with carbine length barrels and gas systems you will probably never have an issue. Carbines are typically over gassed and more forgiving.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    This is the list I came up with for a sub 5 pound AR-15 that has amazing accuracy. Now, this is pre-covid pricing so it may be different, but the parts were top notch for the most part except the stripped lower.

The last post that had an updated list of parts and price.

Updated parts list and cost. Includes shipping and taxes.

41.36 -- gas block and gas tube
    47.94 -- minimalist stock
    262.29 -- upper receiver
    B.A.D. Lever
    Angled Foregrip
    Magpul MOE pistol Grip
    BCM Carbine Stock kit -- buffer tube and spring
    Strike Industries Charging Handle
    290.52 BCM Enhanced Lightweight Fluted Barrel .625 stripped
    214 - Geissel G2S trigger and Lower Parts kit
    42.98 TacFun M-Lok handguard
    10.81 Standard Barrel Nut