• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beast1989

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    Dallas
    This is the list I came up with for a sub 5 pound AR-15 that has amazing accuracy. Now, this is pre-covid pricing so it may be different, but the parts were top notch for the most part except the stripped lower.

The last post that had an updated list of parts and price.

Updated parts list and cost. Includes shipping and taxes.

41.36 -- gas block and gas tube
    47.94 -- minimalist stock
    262.29 -- upper receiver
    B.A.D. Lever
    Angled Foregrip
    Magpul MOE pistol Grip
    BCM Carbine Stock kit -- buffer tube and spring
    Strike Industries Charging Handle
    290.52 BCM Enhanced Lightweight Fluted Barrel .625 stripped
    214 - Geissel G2S trigger and Lower Parts kit
    42.98 TacFun M-Lok handguard
    10.81 Standard Barrel Nut
    106.61 Nickel Boron BCG PSA
    69.94 VG6 Gamma Brake
    75.67 Luthar AR15 upper parts kit and Anderson lower

Total is 1,162.12

Excellent post, exactly what I was looking for. I might roll with something based off of this.

Would you say this is “better” than the CMMG I posted earlier?

I also found a LaRau build but I’m not very sure of the value of anything in the AR world so I don’t know if it’s worth going up to $1400.

Upper for $792 https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

Complete lower $599 https://www.larue.com/products/larue-5-56-complete-lower/
    Gun Zone Deals

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Excellent post, exactly what I was looking for. I might roll with something based off of this.

I also found a LaRau build but I’m not very sure of the value of anything in the AR world so I don’t know if it’s worth going up to $1400.

Larue is really good and a Texan company. If I had known I could get an AR prebuilt from them for under 1200 I would have. CMMG I dont have any experience with. With the next 12 years being Biden Harris I just don't see ARs getting cheaper, if they don't find a way to outlaw them permanently. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Larue AR15 for 1400 right now.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

This is exactly what I would recommend for you.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Get the Larue.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Hot dog, that LaRue setup looks sweet. I wasn't looking for one but goodness gracious, yes!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    other than ~$800.00 what is the difference between the complete LaRue upper/lower for ~$1,400.00 and the PredatORB 5.56 LaRue Tactical for $2,200.00? Is there 800 buck value for the PredatORB 5.56?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    other than ~$800.00 what is the difference between the complete LaRue upper/lower for ~$1,400.00 and the PredatORB 5.56 LaRue Tactical for $2,200.00? Is there 800 buck value for the PredatORB 5.56?

Like anything, it depends. The OBR has a different stock and proprietary upper to aid in complete disassembly.

I don’t find value in that so no, it’s not worth a $800 premium.

Q: why are you set on spending $2K or more? Price for value is hard to beat on the UURG combo. Super high quality components assembled by really experienced dudes.

If it makes you feel better, throw me $800 for consulting and if you aren’t satisfied with the LaRue, sell it and I’ll refund my consulting fee entirely.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Like anything, it depends. The OBR has a different stock and proprietary upper to aid in complete disassembly.

I don’t find value in that so no, it’s not worth a $800 premium.

Q: why are you set on spending $2K or more? Price for value is hard to beat on the UURG combo. Super high quality components assembled by really experienced dudes.

If it makes you feel better, throw me $800 for consulting and if you aren’t satisfied with the LaRue, sell it and I’ll refund my consulting fee entirely.
    Not set on spending 2k. But also don't want to spend less and end up short of where "I think" I want to be. That's why I look like a pin ball bouncing off of this and that. If I don't know I ask and as you can see by my questions - There's a whole lot I don't know. Hell there's a lot I don't even suspect at this point! But I really do appreciate yours and everyone else's input as I try to figure all of this out!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Larue doesn’t sell the UU barrels separately.

But they do sell OBR barrels separately.

So if you want the multi-caliber modularity of barrel swaps, then you have to go with the OBR.

This according to an email exchange I had with Dan at Larue a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not set on spending 2k. But also don't want to spend less and end up short of where "I think" I want to be. That's why I look like a pin ball bouncing off of this and that. If I don't know I ask and as you can see by my questions - There's a whole lot I don't know. Hell there's a lot I don't even suspect at this point! But I really do appreciate yours and everyone else's input as I try to figure all of this out!

Nobody buys just one.....

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...where "I think" I want to be...
    I know this is separate from the OPs thread, but it would really help to know/understand what that phrase above means.

In the category of getting seized as evidence after home invasion self-defense, that is my aero lower/psa firesale priced upper. It’ll reliably and repeatedly hit COM out to 300 yds in 5.56 and I won’t be hurting if that scenario happens.

My 458S is for a different purpose, as is the suppressed .300BLK and so will the next one I build in 6.5G.

All my lowers are Aero with CMMG parts kits and a BCM fcg. I’ll probably build the 6.5 with the LaRue MBT-2S just to see the difference.

Uppers are a different story.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I know this is separate from the OPs thread, but it would really help to know/understand what that phrase above means.

In the category of getting seized as evidence after home invasion self-defense, that is my aero lower/psa firesale priced upper. It’ll reliably and repeatedly hit COM out to 300 yds in 5.56 and I won’t be hurting if that scenario happens.

My 458S is for a different purpose, as is the suppressed .300BLK and so will the next one I build in 6.5G.

All my lowers are Aero with CMMG parts kits and a BCM fcg. I’ll probably build the 6.5 with the LaRue MBT-2S just to see the difference.

Uppers are a different story.
    Where I "thought" I wanted to be was owning an AR that was a quality build, that handled the close in fighting and distant targets with equal aplomb. Iron sights, laydown rear) out to ~30 yards then optics or flip-out LVPO 1-6x on a QD mount (thanks Zac! ) beyond that. What I don't think is "multiple calibers from the same weapon" just not me.

Your example of weapon getting seized shed some new light on getting one that cost less AND getting one that cost more. But if I get one that cost less first it most likely would provide me experience/information to better define "what I think I want" when it came time to put down a few more nickels(or quarters, or...) So for now maybe I refocus on something along the lines of the M&P AR....

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If you want an AR for self defense and <100 yd shooting, get an ugly HiPoint blowback 9 or 40 carbine. Old colt ARs were good, newer, meh. Why do you want a mediocre accuracy 300 yd rifle? That is what the AR15 was designed for. Plus wounding, not killing! Only reason it has low recoil is that it throws a measly 55-80gr bullet. Same with 243.
    LaRue makes good stuff but I don't need one.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    If you want an AR for self defense and <100 yd shooting, get an ugly blowback 9 or 40 carbine. Old colt ARs were good, newer, meh. Why do you want a mediocre accuracy 300 yd rifle? That is what the AR15 was designed for. Plus wounding, not killing! Only reason it has low recoil is that it throws a measly 55-80gr bullet. Same with 243.
    LaRue makes good stuff but I don't need one.

My 6.5 Grendel disagrees. Recoil is medium and it's accurate to 1k meters. the upper was under 800 bucks WITH an optic. The AR15 is about modularity. You can buy the lower and then plant plenty of uppers on it including 9mm if you really care that much.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Grendel is not a 223 that the op was thinking. Ammo is not cheap. Lots of calibers you can put on one, 223 would not be my choice for anything.

Top Bottom