Glock 19

DSCF2115.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

getnready

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks to all

You have all been very helpful, thanks. I was wondering about a revolver instead of the kind with the clip. I had a friend say he liked them better because of the ease of checking if the gun is loaded and not jaming. Is that something that is reasonable to consider?

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    You have all been very helpful, thanks. I was wondering about a revolver instead of the kind with the clip. I had a friend say he liked them better because of the ease of checking if the gun is loaded and not jaming. Is that something that is reasonable to consider?

With today's modern handgun designs, don't even bother with a revolver unless you are really into them. Autoloaders are just as easy to check for being loaded and I cannot remember the last time I had one jam on me.

The G19 I posted above has a chamber loaded indicator and has never jammed. The older 2nd Gen I just sold has never jammed either. Glocks are very reliable.

2Many

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Dripping Springs, TX
    A revolver is always something to consider but not for the reasons you mentioned. As Vellcrow correctly states modern semi autos are for the most part reliable and easy to use. Key to your selection would be what you can become comfortable with. You are likely to learn a lot about the differences when you take your class and will probably begin to develop preferences.

Bottom line is a firearm that you don't like and don't practice with is virtually useless.

Take your class, find a friend or friends that have a few different guns to try or even rent from the range you go to. It is kind of like buying a car or house find the one that works for you!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I would go Glock, without a second thought. Easily to learn, easy to clean, easy to shoot, safe, indescructable, and not very expensive. Lots of accesories everywhere you go. Will fire under any condition and is as safe as any gun around.

I like the Sig, but its not cheap and not as comfy to carry. Dont see the value in the Sig.
    (I guess I may be biased but, I have a couple Glocks for sale if you decide on Glock.)

grumpybutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Spring
    Hi all NewBs can't say it to many times look look look, touch and go to some ranges were they rent to shoot and try different guns. Do not make any hasty purchase. Don't base it on how "good looking" or "intimidating" it looks. You need to research, on line is the easiest. You don't want a cheap gun that's manufactured with little Q&A but you also don't need to second mortgage to buy one either. I would not buy smaller than a .380 or anything over .40, as for a wheel gun, you can't beat the .38 Spec. Guys and Ladies just my $.02, have a wonderfull day go shoot.

getnready

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    My first time!

thanks for all the feedback. I got to take my first lesson Tuesday. I shot a Gloc 19. It felt pretty good considering it was the only gun I have ever held or shot. I'm going back and will try a few others like you recommended. I think I did pretty well!

Eastex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    Rusk County
    Good choice Towerboss. I used to talk a lot of trash about plastic guns. Till I got an XD9SC in a trade. I almost called the deal off when I saw it, but didn't. A couple days later I took it out and shot it and was impressed. Second time I shot it, it became my CC weapon. Since then I've upgraded to the XD45 compact.

Congrats on a fine firearm.

Texshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have two of the pistols you mentioned. A Sig P229 9mm and an XD-9. I used to have the Glock but got rid of it.

My choice would be Sig first and Xd second.

Tex

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    As stated many posts back; shoot them all if possible and decide what you like regarding grip, safety, and accuracy. Tried Glock and XD (already have a baby Sig-Mosquito) and the XD won on all counts. 1st a 40svc and now 9sc. Similar to Glock in ease of cleaning but like the grip safety, grip angle, and trigger best. Good luck with a tough decision.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have owned 2 of your choices and both were fine firearms. I just don't like the way the XD feels in the hand. FWIW, I have read that the Glock is the easiest gun for a little one to pick up and fire. However, by that time, it is to late anyway. When I had little ones I had a revolver with speedloaders. Kept empty, it was very fast to load + I had to be well awake to do it.
    My kids were taught not to enter certain areas of the house w/o permission. I grew up with firearms around the house. My father just made sure we knew how to handle them.

Fred Zelch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I echo the`advice above concerning the little ones. Education goes a long way, their friends and play mates are the concern.
    Fire arms; I own the Glock and the Sig and like them both VERY well. The Glock points more naturally for me. Had to work a little to master the Sig. Have to say I am keeping them both

Top Bottom