Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    To anyone ...

1. Sig P229 9mm
    2. XD9 3in
    3. Glock G17, G19, or G26

I am prior military with experience only with the M16. I'd like a nice home defense/concealed carry gun. I like the XD but I don't know anyone that has one, and plenty of folks have told me how much they love their Glock. I need an idea of one that would serve me well for both applications, these are the three I like.

Any other recommendations are good too!

One more note: I have two (2) small kids 4yo and 2yo and would like some advice on keeping the guns out of my ankle bitters hands but easily accessible too. I was thinking of one of the new biometrics handgun safes but I don't know anyone with one. How well the work, etc..

I'm in the Spring area near Carters but was thinking of taking a basic class and my CHL class at Double Action CHL unless someone can recommend something better.

Thanks,

TB :cool:
    ARJ Defense ad

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    A few things:

Welcome to the site!

You should test fire several pistols to see which one you like the best.

I love my XD.

You can find push button combination safes for under a hundred bucks, all day long. They can be put in a closet or mounted somewhere.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I would stay away from the biometrics, I have heard mixed reviews of them. Shoot me a PM, I dont live too far from you and would be happy to assist with the other options....

rodbender

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I raised 2 kids with a houseful of loaded guns. The key to keep them away is not make them taboo. If they want to hold them, clear it and let them hold it while at the same time watching and showing them the safety aspects. When they get old enough, if they want to shoot them, take them out and let them shoot them. You must not make them accessible of course but don't deny them to hold or shoot them. If you make it forbidden they will search them out when no one is around to see what the big mystery is. Mine never went in search of my guns, they knew where they were, and they knew that they were not forbidden as long as me or their mother was around. They were locked up anyway.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I'd get the Sig. It might be more expensive but if you do get it and don't really like it you can get more for it from the trade than the other two. I tend to work in the opposite direction, I like to get the best first then try other's. Don't forget to look at FNP 9/40/45 line as well. I love my FNP40 and so far she's keeping pace with my HK!!! As for the kids, I'll leave that to rodbender!!!

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The SIG is obviously the most expensive and probably the best of the group. That said, I personally would get the Glock 19. They are very concealable and light to carry. The G26 can get a little hard to handle with +P rounds. The 19 is also smaller and than the 17 and easier for women and people with smaller hands to shoot. As far as I know, no one has yet devised a test to tear one up. The Glocks will shoot lubed, dry, dirty, clean or in just about any condition one finds it in. You can get one at a local Academy for $499.00 if they have one in stock. As a good all around pistol for most everything, I would get the Glock.

Towerboss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming. I love the idea of the SIG but like yall are saying it is a bit on the pricey side.

DirtyD check your PM's.

TB

Eastex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    Rusk County
    I have the XD9SC, and it was a great CC weapon. Unfortunately, my wife liked it too, and took it as her own. The thing I liked about the XD over the Glock, was the grip safety besides the trigger safety alone. Nothing against the Glock, good weapon, but when sliding the pistol into my IWB holster, the double safety made me more comfortable.

I never had problems with loaded guns around my kids or grandkids. I educated them, but also never left firearms laying around. Actually, I'm more concerned when they bring idiot friends over that haven't been taught.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The G19 is hard to beat for a carry gun/house gun. They are reliable and durable. The heat-sweat-dry cycle that carry guns go through should be considered as a factor.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    First and foremost, handle each gun; shoot them if you can.

I changed my direction in a hurry, once I handled what I thought would be the perfect thing for me.

I've got a small safe that works great and isn't that bad. Last time I was in Carters (on I-10) I think I saw this same safe on their shelf, or one very close to it.

It's called Secure Vault by Boyt. I picked one up on eBay even cheaper. About $40 I think. Thgis is the only picture I have of it, but it holds a Kimber Pro and Compact with a couple of extra mags each. You set your own 5 digit code for the 4 buttons, it has a 9 volt battery jump on the side in case the batteries die and it's also keyed as an override.

Attachments

• safe-640.jpg
      safe-640.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 275

djspump2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    The XD is the best gun for your money out of the 3 you listed. It beats the Glock because of the extra grip safety in the concealed carry area and it has a loaded chamber indicator. However, it isn't easy to take apart and put your own add-ons like the Glock is. Also, the trigger reset on the Glock is on the break, and I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally popped 2 off when I was only trying to put one downrange. That was only in training, so imagine with your veins full of adrenaline what would happen.

I owned the XD SC 40. Great little gun and I carried it for awhile. I have since switched to the Walther PPS for a concealed carry pistol. I kept my XD Tactical 40 for a full-sized house gun though. It is great. The XDSC carried like a fat brick compared to this little Walther - but it is $200 more and the mags cost $50 apiece. I didn't know that prior to buying it. Good luck.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    On your list I like the Sig and G19. Two pretty different platforms, but are great pistols. I would opt for the Sig in .40 though. The P229 was built for the .40, and would give you the ability to add a .357 Sig barrel, or even a 9mm conversion barrel. If you get the 9mm, there are no conversion possibilities. As a matter of fact, if you're stuck on a 9mm, the Sig P228 is a 9mm only, and it is considered by many to be one of the best 9mms around. Hard to find them NIB, but some very gently used ones come up for quite often.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I know it wasn't on your list, but I'm partial the the Glock 23. The size is a perfect balance for both home and carry use. The .40 S&W round is a little larger and carries a bigger punch than the 9mm. Unless we're headed for Armageddon and believe that only 9mm and .45ACP will be available when the zombies attack, the .40 cal is a very good choice. While it doesn't carry the weight or make the hole that a .45 does, I'm happy carrying 50% more ammo.

getnready

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Hi, I,m new at this since I have never owned a gun nor shot one. I have decided to take a shooting class and try out a couple hand guns, then buy one and get a CHL. Any recommendations for a lady?

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Hi, I,m new at this since I have never owned a gun nor shot one. I have decided to take a shooting class and try out a couple hand guns, then buy one and get a CHL. Any recommendations for a lady?

The Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm is a very good lady's gun. It's a good size for a carry weapon and the grip size is adjustable.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Handle and shoot as many different guns as you can. :-) That's honestly the best way to find something that will work for you and that's comfortable. You will here people make all sorts of recommendations on individual guns, and while some of them may be great ideas, I think experiencing the wide variety of different guns first hand will really help get you started a lot faster than just trying out a couple specific guns.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I vote Glock 19. It's just a good all around choice.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices though. The make it or break it will be how each feels in your hands. They are all different in that aspect.

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    i own a g19 and a xd9 subcompact (3 in) and u cant go wrong with either one. both concealable and geat range/HD guns! Sigs are great two but i would rather spend 200 less in a gun and use the xtra money for ammo or mags! my 2 cents!

2Many

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Try them all and see what feels best. Glocks don't work for me but my Sig P229 .40 is the best shooting pistol I have ever had. A close second and loads cheaper is a Sig SP2022. For under $500 at academy it quickly became one of my favorites.

Top Bottom