Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Guess it's a 1911 anyways.

Colt Government Model 380.

My buddy told me his gun was locked up and sent it over like this. Left side grip off for some reason.

It was sure locked up solid. Couldn't even get the magazine out even though it was not seated all the way.

I pulled the barrel bushing in an attempt to get something apart. The barrel followed it out WITHOUT removing the slide lock lever.

That allowed the slide lock lever to come out. The magazine was then able to be removed.

So apparently this is a reassembly issue. Somebody took it apart and jammed it trying to put it back together.

Two questions.

What is this part sticking up behind the hammer? Which way is it supposed to face? I assume I need to remove the safety to adjust it. If I pull the hammer back the safety pushes down.

Does this plastic part go with the gun? It was in the bag with it.

It has been years since I fully disassembled a 1911 and this thing is a little different anyways.

Thanks for any help.

d25e0ca8934ea4bbeb8000a9bfc5a805.jpg
    531fb126e1590afab2d6bb871104a2a2.jpg
    66f6b83b21c17ba65f7d9f0ffbbdeeae.jpg
    53af648d05ea619a6c819e72f7513934.jpg
    4917bc09755520d86c7d5ebdca40505f.jpg
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What in the...that thing sticking out by the hammer looks like it has a relationship with a mainspring.
    That's what I was thinking also.

I am guessing I need to pull the main spring out. It is actually a spring on this model with a flat spring type piece holding it in. Not sure if that is a spring too or just a plate.

I can't get the safety out either. Guessing the spring is holding it in too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    That's what I was thinking also.

I am guessing I need to pull the main spring out. It is actually a spring on this model with a flat spring type piece holding it in. Not sure if that is a spring too or just a plate.

I can't get the safety out either. Guessing the spring is holding it in too.
    I’m not a big 1911 guru but off the top of my head the mainspring will interact with what’s sticking out in your pic...how on earth that got reassembled in such a way is scary. I would almost expect to discover damage. As for the safety the spring won’t hold that in. A mainspring would put upward force on say in a cz 75 the mainspring strut. You need folks in here who know 1911 styles pretty well

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The guide rod is plastic and should haave a steel wasger on it to protect it from the recoil spring. It has been tears since I have detail stripped mine. Remember these were based on the star model d. Not really a 1911 design.

The safety comes out like the 1911. Hammer cocked and ptl while wiggling the safety. Make sure the ejector is up when reassembling.

I don't recall what that piece by the hammer is but it may have to do with the safety ball bearing detnt system..

It also seems to be missing the series 80 thing that fits in that slot behind the grip screw h8le and above the trigger bar.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Got it working.

That plastic part is the guide rod. Surprised it was plastic. The marks on the back fit the barrel lug so that was simple.

The U shaped part behind the hammer should go into a roll pin under the hammer with a guide into the hammer spring. I probably could have just pushed it down and got it set right but didn't know. I ended up taking it all apart.

Seems to be together properly now.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It also seems to be missing the series 80 thing that fits in that slot behind the grip screw h8le and above the trigger bar.

I think that may have been removed previously. I didn't see any parts for it.

The mag safety doesn't appear to be operational either. That may have been done intentionally too.

Thanks for your help.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Got it working.

That plastic part is the guide rod. Surprised it was plastic. The marks on the back fit the barrel lug so that was simple.

The U shaped part behind the hammer should go into a roll pin under the hammer with a guide into the hammer spring. I probably could have just pushed it down and got it set right but didn't know. I ended up taking it all apart.

Seems to be together properly now.

I saw your picture after improving it.
    Much better!

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Man, oh man, I would love to get one of those. Was the first 1911 style pistol, and the very first semi auto I ever fired, way back when. Been haphazardly and lazily looking for one to call my own since.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Just a test firing trick: Load up a case with a primer, then load it and pull trigger. The primer pops, then pretty much all is well with the ignition system. From that you can fire with light load and function fire it.

Top Bottom