• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Got a buddy who is assisting in an estate sale and came across this rifle and we would like to know a bit more about it value wise.

He says it is in 8mm.

No information in the Blue Book other than the company imported rifles from Europe and Japan.

I hope to get some better pictures soon and it will probably be put up for sale.

Thanks,

Rifle2_zpsef42cc04.gif

Rifle1_zps5e83e6c3.gif

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Santa Fe Mauser. They were affiliated with National Ordinance of Azuza CA. Could be a lot of things. First thing I'd do is check if the receiver is two halves wielded together. I don't know all their practices with the Mausers but they did that to their 1903 Remington's. Basically a 1960s era replica. Some of their stuff is almost as good as the real thing IMO. Some of it is dangerous scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks Cam and Mike,

Yeah, looked at those ads on the auction sites and THR has a thread or two. Hate to break it to them that their family heirloom custom rifle is really a $<300 gun.

Mike, I will ask my buddy to check out the receiver and see if it has signs of a weld. Appreciate that heads up.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Like I said, I do not know much about their Mausers. Some of the guns they made are actually surplus parts just put back together, some they made themselves, and some are scrap they salvaged as best they could so it runs the gambit in quality. For example the wielded 1903s, and I'm pretty sure they did it on their M1 Garands, but they did not do it on their M1 carbines, so like I said, it could possibly be made of all original Mauser parts. Hopefully someone who knows Mausers will come along. You could try posting it on Gunboards or Milsurps forums. I think the guys on GB are more "American" geared although it is the more active forum. Good luck.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Update, made an offer of $250 on the rifle sight unseen based on my buddies description and the two pictures. They accepted and am planning on picking it up tomorrow. Will be using it for a Christmas gift this year. Good news is he was mistaken about the caliber at first, it's 30-06 so that is a bonus. Good Deal??? We will see.................

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    @Acera I found this on another forum.

"Golden State was a large arms importer and mail order dealer in California. They sold mainly military surplus and were connected (not sure how) with Santa Fe Arms and National Ordnance. One of their principle business areas was "sporterizing" various military rifles to sell on the American market. That rifle is most likely a sporterized Mauser 98. If so, the rifle was originally a military rifle made by Deutsche Waffen-und Muntions Fabriken (German Weapons and Munitions Manufactory) in Berlin, Germany. Since DWM sold rifles all over the world, I would need more information to determine, if possible at all, which nation originally used the rifle.

Look at the top of the receiver ring and there may be a crest or a code that will indicate the country. The original caliber was probably 7mm or 8mm, not .30-'06. Such a conversion involves opening the magazine enough to hold the longer American cartridge.

The model number is simply one given it by Golden State and has no meaning in terms of military use.

The value, unless there is something exceptional, is the same as any other sporterized Mauser 98, or probably around $250, depending on the quality of the work (it was not always the best) and on whether there is a scope, etc."

As far as I understand it is original parts from a Mauser converted to 30-06 but I believe that Santa Fe made the receivers. I would get it checked before shooting it.

Top Bottom