Help with gun show laws!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by j_dogg, Apr 12, 2009.

1. j_dogg

j_dogg New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Hello! I'm new to the forum! Hope everyone had a pleasant Easter. I didn't make it out to the Big Town gun show today, but I plan on making it out to the next one on the 25th and 26th. Thats why I'm asking for you guys' help! I'm going to the gun show in search of a nice 12ga that catches my eye. However, since I don't make it out to gun shows quite often I was wondering what the laws/loopholes were if I happen to come across a nice hand gun. I've been wanting a Taurus "Judge" .410/45 combo really and if I came across one I think I would have to buy it. The only thing is I'm 20, turning 21 in 8 months. I heard that I could purchase a hand gun from a non-FFL dealer with no problems, but how could I tell the difference? It seems like they would specialize in used guns. Should I just ask them? I don't want them to get the wrong impression. Thanks in advance!

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There are no "loopholes" at gun shows, it's all propaganda put on by the Anti-Gun Gestapo.

Now, in order to purchase a handgun from an FFL you need to be 21. However, your parents may purchase the firearm for you and give it to you as a gift. That is perfectly legal since you are above the age of 18, which in Texas is the age that you may possess a firearm.

You may also purchase the handgun from a person that is a non-FFL legally, so long as you are above 18.

The law varies from state to state.

It's easy to identify an FFL dealer. They will require your ID, and upon seeing it, they will deny you. Other indications are that they will require you to fill out a 4473 form, which is an ATF transfer form used for all dealer transactions (except black powder).

3. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Yes. Before you waste their time and yours with IDs and forms, just ask them if the specific gun you want to purchase would be a private transaction or not. Most private sellers will have smaller, non-descript booths at the show. Big company banners and lots of new guns sitting on boxes/cases on the tables usually indicates they're a FFL dealer.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    One other point. If you plan on purchasing from an individual, bring cash. It is unlikely they would accept a check or credit card.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas does not restrict the possession of handguns to 18 and over.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    All add, a non-FFL dealer would be a criminal. :lolz:

A gun dealer must have an FFL. An individual just selling a gun(s) that he owns, is a private transaction and they're very different as explained already.

I'm curious though, are there really that many individuals paying for booths at gun shows? Seems they'd be the first ones the ATF would be looking at.

7. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There used to be a lot more private sellers than there are now. There were 3 or 4 at the last couple Houston shows I attended. By the looks of these particular guys and their guns (mostly used hunting rifles and old revolvers), I don't think the ATF need waste their time on them.

8. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    As mentioned, in the past, old men would get a table at a gun show and spend the weekend there. They might have some of their things on the table and be open for some private wheeling and dealing, but I suspect they were there mostly to get out of the house and "Try to sell some of those guns" for the wife.

If you want to see some very interesting stuff, you should work a gun show table at a large gun show.

As far as the ATF looking at them? Why?
    It's not illegal to rent a table at a gun show to sell your private guns, or to be in a position to add to your collection.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Not trying to get out the foil hat brigade, just saying that if a guy wants to sell a gun or 2, paying for a booth seems like an unnecessary bite into the money he'd make. If he were selling several, enough to make it worthwhile to pay for a booth, it'd seem more likely that if the ATF were there looking for suspect sellers/buyers, they want to make sure he was indeed selling his from his private collection and not running a little side business as an unlicensed dealer. At least, it might give a bored ATF Agent someone to mess with for a few minutes. :happy0001:

10. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I don't think you understand.

For some people, this is their way to "relax". It's cheaper than a titty bar, and won't get you in trouble with the Missus (Hey, I'm out of your hair AND trying to sell off some of these guns that are "cluttering up the house", honey).

For these people, it's not about "making money" or "dealing", but meeting other people, keeping up with the other gun show regulars, etc.

Most of these "regulars' are known and know all the ATF agents who regularly show up.

I think you're seeing ill intent where none is present.